The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Flush Problem.

+2
Taurian
mcalid
6 posters

Go down

Thetford Flush Problem. Empty Thetford Flush Problem.

Post by mcalid Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:33 am

The water in the Thetford  flush tank of my Nuevo 2008 is contaminated with a black mouldy-looking growth which I can't seem to shift.
I use the pink chemical with every fill and I have drained the tank and filled it with bleach but it still persists.
Any suggestions?
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Thetford Flush Problem. Empty Re: Thetford Flush Problem.

Post by Taurian Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 am

This is a common problem I'm afraid when using certain additives.   I had a similar problem and I think I used Puriclean to get rid of the black mould.  You may have to flush it a few times for it to be eradicated but it will go eventually.  I use Elsan Organic liquid in my flush tank (30ml per 10 litres) and have not had a problem since.   I used to get black bits in the flush when I used the Thetford pink rinse.  Dont use bleach any more as i dont think the seals like it !  Let us know how you get on.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am

It's not mould, it's the pink stuff building up on surfaces as the water level reduces and the water evaporates of the sides and other parts of the tank. Movement of the van and the water inside the cistern then cause flakes to break away. The answer is to not use an additive but it will take a while for it to disappear. Some folk use a spray bottle with a diluted pink mix in after flushing the toilet, that has the same deodorising effect.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:00 am

Yes - it's a well documented problem with the pink stuff.

Not really a problem however, as it won't harm anything.

One suggestion was to use the Elsan Green fluid and put a drop of that in the flush tank as well as in the cassette. There's one which actually smells quite nice and fresh (unlike the Thetford blue stuff!) and that would seem like a good solution to me?

I think it's this one, if it helps.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

Dave

P.S. Just seen Al's post. I should have said we do the same as he does. We're not too bothered about fragrant flushing, so just plain water in the flush tank. Can't go wrong then.

Last edited by Gromit on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:15 am

The answer is not to use anything other than plain water in the flush tank. Some motor homes don't have a separate flush tank, the flush comes from the main water tank, and there's no chemicals in that.
We've used plain water for six years now, pump is original, still works perfectly, and no black bits.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:47 am

Our toilet is fed from the fresh water tank too, so no additives possible. They're not obligatory.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Use a liquid bio washing machine liquid in the flush tank. No mould plus it keeps the cassette seals and flap clean. I use Aldi because it's cheap. I now have a tank fed flush so I just squirt a bit round the bowl every time I empty the cassette. You don't need any other chemical's in the cassette.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down