The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Flush Issues

+3
inspiredron
Peter Brown
Dave 418
7 posters

Go down

Thetford Flush Issues  Empty Thetford Flush Issues

Post by Dave 418 Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:58 pm

The toilet flush in our Rienza has been troublesome since we have had it. So far I have changed the pump a couple of times and changed the switch a couple of times annd flushed lots of black gunk out of the tank. Every time I needed  to repair it the wiring crumbles or has corded connectors. 
I have tried re routing the cables to keep them out of the flush water and sealed wiring and the switch switch but once again the pump has packed in.shrugg
Whilst looking for parts before I noticed a manual pump for the same toilet. Looking  in the handbook from Autosleepers it shows a manual pump with operating instructions. Maybe ours is a posh model with electric flush but I have ordered a manual pump and hope it fits. 
Every time I have to try and fix the electric flush I manage to slice my hand on a bit of sharpe plastic so that will be another bonus.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Thetford Flush Issues  Empty Re: Thetford Flush Issues

Post by Peter Brown Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:19 pm

I'm sure someone on the forum did that not too long ago and confirmed that manual version was a direct replacement but I cant find it in my searches. I've bloodied my hand in that flush tank several times.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:30 pm

I had the same thought Peter. I couldn’t find anything from a search. Maybe I worded it wrong.
This time I sliced one knuckle and the back of my hand. 
The only thing I might have to do is some sussing and boggling about will be the level warning light but it’s fairly obvious when it’s full I suppose.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:49 pm

Warning light has nothing to do with the pump. There is a magnet on a float inside the cassette and that closes a magnetic reed switch outside to switch on the warning light.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:00 pm

Regarding the black gungy bits - do you use the Thetford pink fluid by any chance?  That is known to cause this. There was a supposed change of formula to prevent this a couple of years ago but I found it no different so have given up using it. 

By the way, ours has always had the manual flush and I've never seen the point of some having electric, it's just something else to go wrong.

Hardly takes much effort to press a lever, after all we do it at home. 
Or are new loos electrically operated now too?  scratch head

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:14 pm

Here you go.......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Peter Brown and The Jacobite like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:35 pm

I should have asked you first Paul. You have the knack of knowing the mysteries of the search. scratch head This puts a new light on my task ahead. Meanwhile the shower head will do for flushing this weekend. 
We are at home for a couple of weeks for the Rienza to be serviced and other domestic chores so hopefully we will have a flushing loo before our SW 300 trip.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm

Just a quick post to close the post regarding the flush pump and thank the members for their advice and guidance.
The pump arrived yesterday but the connecting pipe from the old pump was too short  and very hard so as advised I bought a new piece of pipe from magnum. Compared with the agro and sliced hands the new pump was fitted in fifteen minits. I noticed two screws taped to the new pump for the surround. I thought they were still attached to the pump because I couldn’t find them. Rather than taking the pump back out I used screws from the old one. The missing ones were on the window surround.tap_fingers
Management tested the flush and approves, flush only because I emptied the cassette yesterday.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun May 28, 2023 4:44 pm

The flush saga has started again this trip. The hand pump worked fine last trip delivering enough water for a decent flush but last week the flow of water is a trickle no matter how hard you pump. I am wondering if the bio wash tablets we put in the flush tank had caused a problem. 
I thought the troubles with the electric flush were over and I don’t fancy going back to that. The bench Thetford in the Duetto didn’t give us this much trouble. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Boots Sun May 28, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi Dave,

As you know another Rienza owner here.

Mine works well tho I have had the 'gunk' problem.

I now use pink'd or clear water as the mood takes and find a trip with a low tank level usually helps free up the gunk.

Makes for an interesting flush or ? untill it clears up.

Just what you need on a B/H, information that someone elses unit is working well!

Have a good one.

Cheers

Boots
Boots
Boots

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun May 28, 2023 5:39 pm

I am home now because my son had to be in work tomorrow so I have a day of tidying and checking things tomorrow. The first thing to try will be to drain the flush tank and try it with water only. 
The layout of the Rienza means it’s easy to use the shower head for additional flushing. We were off grid all last week so the pump got a good workout but I didn’t expect these problems.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon May 29, 2023 11:23 am

I am loosing the plot with this flush problem confused3. This morning I drained the flush tank and flushed it out with clean water. No black gunk came out as earlier in this saga.
The bad news is that the flush is still only a trickle no matter how hard you pump. My only thought now is to take the pump out and see if theres anything visually wrong. It is just a simple plunger pump so not much to fail.
As I mentioned in the first post this has been the biggest problem to resolve since we have had the Rienza. Yes I have had some issues with the step and admit partly my fault. I really dont want to go back to electric flush after the problems I have had so far.  tap_fingers
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 pm

Sounds like a blockage in the hand pump, or pipe leading to it. From your description there can't be much to go wrong. 

Wxl uses water from fresh tank to flush, but we seldom  do. Have spray bottles for both pink fluid and zoflora in loo an just spray bowl with that if liquids only. If needed for solids use happy bowl liners . Toilet gets good clean after every trip

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 31, 2023 12:13 pm

I thought a follow up regarding the flush problem might be of help to any one fitting the manual pump as a replacement for the electric flush pump.
After removing  the pump from the tank I could see the seal for the valve at the bottom was sticking out on one side. On closer inspection one of the three clips was not properly located causing the seal to become dislodged hence the lack of water pressure. 
I removed the valve from the bottom of the pump and the seal looked  ok., I dont have any o rings that size so I re fitted the valve and tested the pump in a bowl of water.  There was plenty of flow so it must have just been the  badly fitted valve. Being a new pump I never thought to check it before fitting it.
Even though I have cleaned the tank to remove lots of black gunk there are still a couple of bits appearing with the flush water. Not wanting that problem to start again I am going to just put water in the flush tank and keep a spray bottle of something as others have suggested. good2
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:46 am

As I said in my last post I have a spray bottle to add to the flush. I found a bottle of Thetford pink unopened in the locker so I have diluted some for the spraying the bowl.
Management has asked if it will react with the Lidl Bio tablets we put in the cassette. It’s not something I thought about but I suppose time will tell.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:36 pm

As I've said elsewhere I would not use biological washing POWDER in the flush tank and I suspect that tablets might also risk blockages. Why not use the liquid washing detergent?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:48 pm

I havnt used the flush for its purpose yet but I have tried the flush with just water this week and the black bits seem to have stopped. After driving to our first stop it might disturb more bits but so far things are improving. 
The bio tablets in the cassette seem to be helping with the smell. I can’t remember what flavor they are other than being Lidl own brand.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down