The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric Hook-Up Amps v. Winter!

+10
Minniesmum
boxerman
minky58
-mojo-
murph
whisky
Celticbiker
ubuntu1
Robbie
Dutto
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Electric Hook-Up Amps v. Winter! - Page 2 Empty Re: Electric Hook-Up Amps v. Winter!

Post by -mojo- Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:32 pm

ubuntu1 wrote:The issue in the UK is a law that puts huge restrictions on the resale of electricity. In simple terms you can't profit from the resale.

This is one of the reasons why I don't expect to see wide adoption of a new model. Sure, they could charge an additional fee for the facility, but then they would have to make it optional. IIRC both the big clubs bundle the whole lot into their "standard pitch" fee. The last thing they want to do is to pay out for a load of new infrastructure and then find that they are taking in less money!

ubuntu1 wrote:Having seen the energy bill for a campsite over Christmas I am not surprised they are moving to a new charging model,

It may be have been a big energy bill, but how big was it compared to the site's overall takings for that period? I'm with Frank on this - there may be a small number of abusers, but I seriously doubt that any of the C&CC and CC sites are anywhere near making a loss on their EHU usage.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Electric Hook-Up Amps v. Winter! - Page 2 Empty Re: Electric Hook-Up Amps v. Winter!

Post by Minniesmum Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm

-mojo- wrote:
ubuntu1 wrote:The issue in the UK is a law that puts huge restrictions on the resale of electricity. In simple terms you can't profit from the resale.

This is one of the reasons why I don't expect to see wide adoption of a new model. Sure, they could charge an additional fee for the facility, but then they would have to make it optional. IIRC both the big clubs bundle the whole lot into their "standard pitch" fee. The last thing they want to do is to pay out for a load of new infrastructure and then find that they are taking in less money!

ubuntu1 wrote:Having seen the energy bill for a campsite over Christmas I am not surprised they are moving to a new charging model,

It may be have been a big energy bill, but how big was it compared to the site's overall takings for that period? I'm with Frank on this - there may be a small number of abusers, but I seriously doubt that any of the C&CC and CC sites are anywhere near making a loss on their EHU usage.
also agree. I paid double the pitch fee for my xmas and newyear camping. I'm sure that covered my leccie usage. And both CC sites that I stayed at were near enoughj full winks

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:05 pm

ubuntu1 wrote:I know of sites that are installing the metering circuits right now so it is going to happen.

I stand to be corrected but some years ago I seem to remember that the resale of electricity ie:- secondary metering or just simply charging for it was made illegal, it was at this time the Caravan Club incorporated the EHU charge in their site fees to avoid the possibility of prosecution resulting in having to pay for EHU whether you required it or not. The C&CC got round it by having service or non service pitches so one had the choice. content

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I believe the law is that you can not sell electricity for more than you paid for it. It was brought in because some unscrupulous landlords were selling electricity to their tenants at inflated prices.
Many campsites saw this as a bandwagon to leap upon and introduced an all inclusive charge, saying they weren't allowed to charge for electricity separately so it was the governments fault that you were being charged for electricity you didn't want.
I suspect that many of these campsites got jumped on as we are, in most cases back to being given a choice of having a hook up or not.

Not being a member of the CC, I don't know whether they offer a choice or not?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 pm

boxerman wrote:I believe the law is that you can not sell electricity for more than you paid for it. It was brought in because some unscrupulous landlords were selling electricity to their tenants at inflated prices.
Many campsites saw this as a bandwagon to leap upon and introduced an all inclusive charge, saying they weren't allowed to charge for electricity separately so it was the governments fault that you were being charged for electricity you didn't want.
I suspect that many of these campsites got jumped on as we are, in most cases back to being given a choice of having a hook up or not.

Not being a member of the CC, I don't know whether they offer a choice or not?

Frank

Hi Frank

Having lived in more than my fair share of dodgy bed-sits in the distant past I well remember always having to have a ready supply of florins to feed the meter the alternative being to go to the pub smile! or go to bed if you ran out of coins. so_sad

Oh happy days. uncertain

Cheers John up!

P.S The CC incorporate the EHU fee so you have no choice
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm

boxerman wrote:Having read through this thread, I looked up my last years total electric bill, it came to £1150.17.
If a campsite charges £3 per night, that would come to £1095.00.
Considering that my bill is for the full house including storage heaters, lights & sockets and the campsite bill is for 1 socket, I don't think the campsites are doing too badly out of it.

Frank

Frank couldn't agree more. I was reading this thread thinking I am going to need to post a reply regarding the cost per night that campsites are charging for pitch electric and was pleased to find yours. I doubt if many campers use anything like the price being charged per pitch per night, not withstanding the cost of annual checks / repairs as necessary, which do need to be factored in. We've spent time in cottages with electric slot meters in the winter months and found £10:00 goes a very long way for a 7 day spell.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm

boxerman wrote:.............. my last years total electric bill, it came to £1150.17.
Frank

Frank,

If mine came to more than £500 I would start walking around switching lights off!!

Last year our total electric and gas bill came to £371.49 for the 10 months February to December. (It was actually the same for the full year because we were away for January and half of February!)

I use Scottish Power on a "pre-paid" system and I think (hope?) that I have the very cheapest of tariffs.

I get 5% off their normal domestic tariff for my electricity and gas. When I started on this system I thought "Where can I get 5% on any money in the bank?" and went for it; this was when banks were handing out rates of 3% - 4% for fixed term savings and they are now offering 2%-3%!!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Our boat is out of the water at Millbrook this year and each electric outlet there has a system where you insert a prepaid card. When we were at Turnchapel we had to buy a meter; The meter fitted between the electric post outlet and the supply to the boat and we received a bill once a month.
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Dutto wrote:

Last year our total electric and gas bill came to £371.49 for the 10 months February to December.
Ian

Thats what happens when you spend half the year in a warmer climates hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Ian, You are careful .I spend winters away,well not every day but at least 5 months of the winter.
i am away in the summer as well. cannot get my total bill down to your figures!!

I get the usual discounts,pay monthly and on a fixed contract.
Do you cook on a BBQ and use torches?
Pm me what i am doing different please
Regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm

mikethebike wrote:..............pay monthly and on a fixed contract.

Mike,

When I took over my late Mum's finances I discovered that her "service providers" (water, electricity and gas) were holding £1,200 of her money due to increasing the Direct Debits!

I use the "Pay in Advance" system and get a 5% discount for so doing! wave

I also monitor my account to make sure that the balance is NEVER a minus but ALWAYS less than £200. allthumbz

I also don't pay a "daily rental" for my meters. If we are away from home that would cost more than the fuel we were using! Whistle1

PM sent. Enjoy.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Dutto wrote:
mikethebike wrote:..............pay monthly and on a fixed contract.

Mike,

When I took over my late Mum's finances I discovered that her "service providers" (water, electricity and gas) were holding £1,200 of her money due to increasing the Direct Debits!

I use the "Pay in Advance" system and get a 5% discount for so doing! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also monitor my account to make sure that the balance is NEVER a minus but ALWAYS less than £200. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also don't pay a "daily rental" for my meters. If we are away from home that would cost more than the fuel we were using! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PM sent. Enjoy.

Best regards,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ian

Yes i was slow like that many years ago. Now i can see my current balance at anytime.They never have too much of my money,but with low interest rates, is it a big problem to be a few pounds in credit?
I pay my water bill after i have used the water.So i am always in debit.
regards
Mike [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Thanks for the pm
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:55 pm

mikethebike wrote:...............but with low interest rates, is it a big problem to be a few pounds in credit?

....................I pay my water bill after i have used the water.So i am always in debit.
Mike,

Sorry, I would have replied earlier but Helen was having to re-start my pacemaker!! That "few pounds in credit" multiplied by one or two million people is a lot of money; and I consider the abuse of the Direct Debit system by energy companies as being one of the biggest cons ever!

There was a time when we used the electricity or gas, then a man came and read the meter to make sure that we paid ONLY for what we had used.

The Direct Debit system was introduced ON THE SAME BASIS and the receiver was allowed to adjust the payment to ensure that the CORRECT amount was paid.

As a metter of interest, "Has ANYONE on this Forum EVER been in a situation where less than what they owed was taken from their account by Direct Debit?"

I much prefer the water system and I too pay for what I have used. allthumbz My only concern is that Anglian Water charge nearly £5 a cubic metre for something that falls out of the sky! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:06 am

I had started to type about seeing this from the other side of the fence, but it became quite lengthy (not unusual for me lol4 ) so I deleted it think_smiley_46

lol4 Deleted again lol4 I'll shut up now up! as it is a rather contentious issue winks

Last edited by Tommy-Darcy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted ramblings)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 am

Tommy-Darcy wrote: I had started to type about seeing this from the other side of the fence, but it became quite lengthy (not unusual for me lol4 ) so I deleted it think_smiley_46

We must not forget that the pitch fees (where they are inclusive of electric NOT where electric is charged separately) also includes everything to do with running a site for the whole of the season winks and when there are price rises these will be passed on to the customer. Some folks, feeling they are being "ripped off"
What annoys me is that in "high" season i.e. when the site is full to bursting and there are plenty of paying customers, the price per night rises - dramatcally sometimes. In "low" season i.e. when there are not so many paying customers to share the cost of running the place, the price per night is normal. Not logical.
If a campsite can show a profit on the "low" season prices when there are fewer customers, then they can show a bigger profit in "high" season charging the same price per night (but with more customers = more profit). But greed steps in and the price goes up.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 am

Agreed, but the low season price very often is a break even price at best and set to attract customers in quiet periods , the profit is in the high and peak price.

As I mentioned in my revised post it is a very contentious issue and when we are off on our travels we will no doubt be changing our views many times tap_fingers lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am

Tommy-Darcy wrote: I had started to type about seeing this from the other side of the fence ...............

NOW I remember YOU!!!

All I had on was two 3Kw heaters (it was Summer after all), an electric blanket, my water heater and the TV when my EHU tripped at 2am in the morning! champagne

And YOU wouldn't even get out of your bed to come and re-set the trip thingy on my EHU supply! bouncing

Far from "Best regards",
tap_fingers tap_fingers
Disgruntled from Birmingham

Was that the kind of thing you meant? allthumbz
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

lol4 and don't forget the hairdryer and straighteners lol4

YES Ian, something like that winks

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:45 am

Well Mr Darcy, while I'm not undone I would be most interested in hearing your point of view from the other side of the garden dividing device.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 51
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry CB I actually like being on this forum hugegrins and wouldn't want to jeopardise my membership lol4

Some rants and comments of mine can be seen in this "Motorhome and Camping Chat" section. winks

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2