The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU)

+11
deckie
Dutto
micknhilary
Alf
stevomar
cal
janet withers
Cymro
Ramblingon
squip
CC
15 posters

Go down

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU) Empty Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU)

Post by CC Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Last few trips away I've been cursing our EHU lead, no matter how many times I unwind it, and carefully wind it up the next time I go to use it, it just ends up in a tangled knotted mess tap_fingers
I got so fed up that on my return from our last trip I purchased another lead but upon closer inspection it looks identical to the old one so concerned it's going to go the same way!

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me scratch head The leads we use are the 25mtr length as I wouldn't want to chance a shorter one, is there a good quality "kink free" flexible / subtle lead available and if so best brands? (most we have looked at by sun camp etc all look the same?) If I can get a better one I may return the one we have just purchased!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU) Empty Re: Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU)

Post by squip Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:44 pm

CC
I don't have an answer for you but I agree that it is always a diffucult task particularly to re-wind the lead after use. [it's like fighting with an anaconda].
Our lead was provided with the van when we bought it [the van that is] so I have no idea what make it is. I agree that 25metres is the optimal length. To store ours I coil it by hand and then place it in a large plastic bag and keep it in a locker. We do not have room to store it if it is wound on a drum and I don't suppose you do either.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I had the same problem then someone recommended one of these above- problem sorted up!

Someone else suggested a fifteen metre cable and a 10 metre cable, instead of a 25metre cable. good idea me thinks. biggrin
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 pm

That cable keeper looks a good idea, and I'm sure that one could make an equivalent H-shaped keeper out of ply, with its dimensions made to suit the storage space available.

I was given a very useful little promotional freebie years ago which helps. Essentially, it's a strip of velcro, about 6' long; one end loops around, and stays attached to, one end of my cable (near to the socket - doesn't matter which) - and then, having wound the cable into a loosely coiled skein like my grandmother did with wool, I pass the other end of the velcro through the skein and fix it to the fixed end (which has the counterpart velcro on its back by which to secure it like a tourniquet).

I find that's better for me than a rigid keeper, as I then stuff the tied cable into the gas bottle locker (no, not putting any strain on the flexible gas pipe). In that way the cable can be made to fit into the available space.

And it un-does without a tangle!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by janet withers Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

no you are not alone,,,,, smile! we have a 20metre cable and find the same as you that it gets knotted up,,,,,
janet withers
janet withers

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by cal Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 pm

About 31 years ago when I joined Post Offfice Telephones (now BT) as an apprentice one of the trainers an old Navy man showed us the principle of rolling up anything - rope, caples, hoses etc - he said you need to replicate the coils that were originally on the manufacturing coil that it came on - and to do this you start by pulling the cable through your right hand (if your right handed) holding the end in your left and you start to let if go into its natural coil with a slight twist into the said coil - as you do this you will srat to notice the end of the lead getting more tests but you should shake them out or give it a bit of the old skipping rope treatment to uncoil - this works well for me on anything even a 30m coil of hosepipe and my 25m lead - I did prefer my last van which had a 10m and a 25m but forgot to lift on the sale.
Not sure if this theorectical description translates without a practical demo smile! We have limited storage space so I prefer not to keep the lead on a drum - I have a wee bungy round it then to keep it couiled
cal
cal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi CC
Just found this at work - only a metre in diameter - Any good ?
Cheers
Stevo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Blimey Stevo

Do you think it will strap on the roof? if so I'll take 2!! lol4

Thanks for the replies everyone

Male

Back to top Go down

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU) Empty Hook Up Cable

Post by Alf Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Coiling flexible cable is an acquired skill as Cal says, have the hook up layed out in as straight a line as you can, hold the connector in one hand move the other hand about a yard down the cable coil this to the connector ( should you want a tighter coil adjust this length ) give the cable a slight twist clockwise wiyh your fingers as you coil, repeat this for the full length its a acquired skill that comes as 55 years in the Electrical Supply Industry.
We have 2 x 10m coils as I find 10m is generally enough for a connection, and easier to coil.

Unfortunately most cable now comes from abroad and is not made to stringent standards, UK cable is more pliable anyone wishing a good hook up should buy Artic cable and would pay at least double to make up their own lead.
The worst thing you can do is wrap over elbow and hand this always gives a figure of 8 a frame if nearly as bad a drum is OK but with a PVC where can you keep one

Alf

PS lay your old cable out straight on warm days such as now leave a couple of days PVC softens and may go back to unlinked cable in the warm
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks Alf

Some good info there! winks

Might well take your advice & get two leads as most of the time we find the 25 mtr lead is too long, maybe a 10 mtr + 15 mtr lead may work better!

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi CC Further to my previous post anyone with a twisted hook up lead would benefit from buying a 16 amp Plug and 16 amp Socket and making two leads either 10 + 10 or 10 + 15 after cutting lead and before putting new ends on straighten lead as best you can if you have a wooden ladder ( if you only have an aluminium one put a wooden sweeping brush through a rung ) thread cable over rung connecter end first pull the cable down in a tight U bend hold cable back as you pull over rung this will tend to remove bends if they are bad you may need to do this twice. This method can be used to remove twist and kinks in most types of flexible cable be it power tool,extensions or household appliances.

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:05 pm

With regard to joining hook up cables Go Outdoors do a Electro Safe Box this will take the 16a plug and socket it has rubber seal of a fasion and includs a small padlock whilst not to IPx4 it does add a degree of protection from passing dogs and such it also keeps childrens hands and fingers safe at £10.80 not a bad buy
item no 8715133031921 it measures 365mm x 90mm dia

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Good tip Alf. smile!
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU) Empty EHU

Post by micknhilary Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:21 pm

I have only just read this post despite it being several months old. Would I be stating the obvious when I say that I cut my 25m cable into 15m and 10m lengths. Purchased another set of blue plugs, wired them up...job done. Now all I do is to assess the required length of cable and plug it in. Sometimes I need both lengths joined together. In this case I stick the 'join' into a plastic bag to protect it from the weather. Theres never been a problem with youngsters. For ease of use I coil the two lengths up separately when storing.
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:24 pm

micknhilary wrote: In this case I stick the 'join' into a plastic bag to protect it from the weather. Theres never been a problem with youngsters.

Right! If you ever do get "a problem with youngsters" just drag the remains into the nearest bush and hope that the Coroner returns "natural causes"!! (As per the Aberdonian who was run over by a bus when trying to recover a 10p piece that rolled into the road!)

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi CC and All

Plenty of old 'sea dogs' advice about coiling the cable, but did anyone mention, plugging the two ends together afterwards (male / female) ??,

I probably missed it hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi brian.. yes I do plug both ends together, recently got one of those orange reels to keep it on so hoping that will make life a little easier.

Bought another lead shortly after my initial post and on the last few trips away the lead gave me no grief, think if you can keep that reeled shape to them then they naturally seem to go back, unlike the previous lead which had me cursing everytime I went to use it! Another thing... why are they always wet, covered in grass and muddy just to make it that little bit more unpleasant when packing away shrugg hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:57 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Hi brian.. yes I do plug both ends together, recently got one of those orange reels to keep it on so hoping that will make life a little easier.

Bought another lead shortly after my initial post and on the last few trips away the lead gave me no grief, think if you can keep that reeled shape to them then they naturally seem to go back, unlike the previous lead which had me cursing everytime I went to use it! Another thing... why are they always wet, covered in grass and muddy just to make it that little bit more unpleasant when packing away shrugg hugegrins

Hi CC,

It's called SOD's Law (sorry about that hugegrins )

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:24 am

I find the H-frame useful for wrapping 10m of heavy duty mains cable.

I also like to carry an adapter which I have made up for a possible house power hookup.

Keith
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

I was told once, when you wind the cable, unplug from post, then unplug from van, and roll it up from that end, don't know why, but it does roll up better that way.

Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi All.
I have always done the same. My understanding is that it is better (safer) to handle the EHU cable whilst it is not live. Therefore plug it into the van first when connecting and conversely remove it from the site socket first when disconnecting.

Mick.
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Electric Hook Up Lead (EHU) Empty hook up lead

Post by murph Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree with Mick, coiling and uncoiling from the same end every time also helps with coiling the lead neatly.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by ki Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 am

I have found that the 10m AS supplied cable has been sufficient for any powered campsite that I have used. I also carry my small adapter for use with a standard extension cable if a house-power hookup is required.

Since the object is to supply the van with 230V it should be realised that using long cables which are not sufficiently thick will introduce additional resistance with a consequent voltage drop in the cable - particularly so when power hungry devices are to be used in the van.

Keith
ki
ki

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex-Symbol.
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 am

I unplug from the post and then the van and coil that way so that next time you can plug into the van, uncoil then plug into the mains socket last. Always done it that way since we first started tugging.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down