The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors

2 posters

Go down

Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors Empty Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors

Post by sunidorset Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Our preloved van's water system was perhaps not drained/winterised properly by previous owner. I think most of the hot and cold 12mm pushfit connectors have leaked ( and so been replaced) now we've had the van a year. The latest - will it be the last? - was from one of the 6 connectors under the Thetford toilet which caused water to leak again from the rear of the offside wheel arch.  The connectors under both sinks and to the shower had been replaced earlier this year! 
 The technician at our local dealership ( which is fully booked for many weeks) showed me how I might access the suspected problem area without too much difficulty armed with little more than a screwdriver! So, 6 screws came out followed by  careful removal of the (outside) loo cistern filler and then, the complete loo assembly was gently lifted off its base. This revealed  the  troublesome (6) connectors and tide marks - obviously a leak of some duration.
Hopefully, this winter's preBrexit trip to some sunshine will go more smoothly than last February's.
up!
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors Empty Re: Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors

Post by sunidorset Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Following my post of 22 Nov, I found that the feet of the loo's timber pedestal were forcing hot and cold pipes out of their natural line so putting lateral pressure on the pushfit connectors. 
Also, the pipes were mostly too long so they were putting even more flexing pressure on the pushfit joints. No wonder the eventual  leak.  
Now, having reconnected, I have put a "drip" tube through the floor directly underneath the 12 joints, carefully avoiding cabling under the van. The floor had been dried and there is now a circle of silicone on the floor around the joints to prevent any further possible leaks spreading water far and wide.
The system will be fully checked for leaks before replacing the loo.
sunidorset
sunidorset

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors Empty Re: Leaking 12mm pushfit connectors

Post by Paramedic Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 am

Congratulations for remedying the leaking problem with your van.
up!

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down