The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That leaking scuttle topic again!

+2
CC
Maasai Warrior
6 posters

Go down

That leaking scuttle topic again! Empty That leaking scuttle topic again!

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi all,

I have read with interest the attempts at solving a leaking scuttle. One month after taking delivery, I knew we were going to have a problem when I first saw the blocked up small, inadequate drain holes at either end of the scuttle. The next observation was the join in the middle and the mass dripping of water into the engine compartment, followed by the regular dump of water from the air intake box whenever I opened the bonnet. I have thought of carrying out the various modifications suggested, but all I have done so far is to seal up the join in the middle with black bathroom silicone.
A couple of days ago we had some heavy rain, so this afternoon I thought I would check this silicone seal. You guessed it, it has only served to slow the drip down. On further inspection I spotted a 9 inch long section where the scuttle rubber meets the windscreen glass, has lifted away, allowing water to run through and presumably into the engine compartment. I am now considering another visit to the Peugeot dealers, following our issues with the two recent engine sensors being replaced under warranty. Just a thought, I wonder if water ingress damaged these? For the moment I have covered the windscreen with our Taylor covers to prevent any more water ingress into the engine compartment.

Somewhere on this Forum, I am sure I have read that someone was going to try and get the dealers to replace their two piece scuttle with a single piece scuttle under their warranty. If so can someone point me to that thread?

Thanks for any help or thoughts. I know the topic has already been discussed to death, but with all the other problems we have had sorted with the  motorhome, I was wondering when its going to end!

Just checked to see if there is water under the dash in the cab and all is dry, thank goodness - one positive. smile!

Pete 

P.S. I have to say, in spite of all the issues we have had, we are very happy with our Broadway EB.
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

That leaking scuttle topic again! Empty Re: That leaking scuttle topic again!

Post by CC Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:16 pm

The parts required are not that expensive, I've recently purchased the water evacuation hose and collection tray at a cost of £24 and the single piece evacuation hoses each side are just a fiver each. A dedicated hose for the air box is available for around £15 but I didn't get this for now but may well do in the future. 

I'm not sure if the single piece scuttle would fit, but even if it did will cost a heck of a lot more than the above mods. I replaced the scuttle on our Nuevo and seem to recall it cost around £140 for the two part tray. It may not have the center join, but I can't imagine how it would be any different other than being one piece.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I've removed the scuttle on our 2014 Broadway and found that the seals to windscreen and centre were very poor waterlogged foam strip.

I resealed the scuttle to screen with glaziers double sided tape, sealed along the edge of scuttle to screen and centre with black tigerseal  sealant. I've drilled out the small outside drains to a bigger size run larger tubing down to the front of wheel arches. Drilled and fitted a drain to the front of scuttle where water gathered and froze, ran drain tubing again to front wheel arch.

My engine bay is now bone dry.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi John,

I have been looking for glaziers double sided tape on Ebay without much success. Are you able to advise where you got it from? As an alternative, do you think Strong Automotive Acrylic Foam Double Sided Adhesive Tape 3M would be any good for sealing the rubber strip on the scuttle to the windscreen and finished off by edging it with black tigerseal sealant?

Thanks for your help.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi Pete, I got my tape from work before I retired, but I've looked on Ebay and there's loads, type in glazing tape. The automotive tape should be ok as you will seal the edge of scuttle to screen.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hi John. Is your glazing tape foam backed?

It seems that most of the glazing tape is for UPVC windows and as such has a black foam backing and tends to have a thickness of 2mm plus. I am after something a bit thinner. Looking at 3M's automotive tape it looks a possibility as it starts in sizes of 0.8mm thick, and though it is a bit more expensive it purports to be strong, waterproof/resistant and can hold body panels together! Once on, I wonder if I can get it off again if I need to!! 

Thank for your help John 

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Yes Pete it's foam backed but it was better than the rubbish Peugeot fitted. If I needed to get it off in the future I would use a Stanley blade and a blade I've made by grinding the saw edge off a broken hacksaw blade, sharpening this as a knife and taping one end to protect your fingers.

John.

Ps Pete it will also be slightly more difficult to replace windscreen if ever needed, but I will cross that bridge when and if.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm

I noticed a while ago how flimsy the centre scuttle joint seemed and noted that the overlap of the 2 halves is only a few mm. There was no resistance to water seeping through the joint into the engine. Even though the engine is fitted with the covers etc I would prefer to minimise the water ingress. 
I drilled a small hole next to the joint and with the use of a tap washer cut just off centre to make a level base for a number plate fixing screw and cover which brought the scuttle joint together after putting some clear silicon along the joint - making a water resistant joint - see pic.
Not saying that this has prevented all water ingress into the engine compartment but has certainly reduced it along this joint.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi John and Steve,

Thank you for your ideas to help me solving the leaking scuttle. I am now waiting for a good dry day to make progress with the problem. It does annoy me that a large company like Peugeot can't be bothered to solve a simple problem, and it looks like it has been going on for years. Its not rocket science! Reminds me of the Fiat engine gearbox shudder when reversing!!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:Hi John and Steve,

Thank you for your ideas to help me solving the leaking scuttle. I am now waiting for a good dry day to make progress with the problem. It does annoy me that a large company like Peugeot can't be bothered to solve a simple problem, and it looks like it has been going on for years. Its not rocket science! Reminds me of the Fiat engine gearbox shudder when reversing!!

Pete

I've done same as Steve in the centre but I've used a stainless screw and washer.

I got rid of my new Trigano Tribute in 2011 because Fiat couldn't cure the reverse Judder, It came back after Fiat Fix worse than ever.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Here is a link to another forum great info on scuttle repair.

John.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

That leaking scuttle topic again! Empty That leaking scuttle topic again!!

Post by cyclo Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I finally got round to doing something about the amount of water entering the engine compartment. I copied some of the information

previously posted on the topic. I also used 16mm starlock washers and pieces from a mastic tube. All went well apart from fixing the

washers which due to the limited access room I could not push them tight enough. What was I doing wrong? Is there a special technique?

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Not having a go at anyone..... smile! surrender

But I really don't understand why people would go to the bother of concocting drain hoses made of bits of silicone mastic tube nozzles etc when you can get the purpose made drain hoses from the manufacturer for just a fiver! & before anyone suggests they don't work I can assure you that the water drains from my scuttle as quick as I can fill it so they are efficient.... 

Male

Back to top Go down

That leaking scuttle topic again! Empty Re: That leaking scuttle again!!

Post by cyclo Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:21 pm

I agree if I had known they were available at that price I wouldn't have messed about. I went to the local Peugeot Commercial Dealer

who said that nothing was available. After the heavy rain this morning a good deal of water had collected on a tray I had placed under

the bonnet. I am now sure that water is coming in under the scuttle and running  out centrally. Thank you for the picture and I know you 

obtained a collection tray and drain pipe (as per previous picture). Would you please put me out of my misery and tell me where I can

obtain the parts.

Regards David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi David... No worries each to their own some like to improvise with their own bits & pieces I guess.

If I were you I'd go to your local Citroen parts desk, I've found them more efficient than Peugeot and the parts come with both logos on so they are exactly the same.

If you look in the fact sheets section link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 

you will see its item number 20 & the part number is listed beside it. 

The pipes simply drop into the hole then you give them a gentle push until they pop into the hole supported by the rubber moulding.

Hope this helps

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Cruising Comet wrote:Not having a go at anyone..... smile! surrender

But I really don't understand why people would go to the bother of concocting drain hoses made of bits of silicone mastic tube nozzles etc when you can get the purpose made drain hoses from the manufacturer for just a fiver! & before anyone suggests they don't work I can assure you that the water drains from my scuttle as quick as I can fill it so they are efficient.... 

I already had those drains fitted and they were virtually useless, forever blocking up, so I pulled them out and made the bigger drains and run the tubing right down to the front of wheel arches. Also how my drive slopes steaply water collected right in the centre of scuttle so I fitted a drain there also and ran the tubing to front of wheel arch as well.

I also found that the 16mm star washers would not push all the way up so I snipped through the washer, tiger sealed the tube into scuttle, sealed the underneath slid the washer up sealed again and left it for 24 hours then fitted drain tubes.

My Engine bay is now bone dry. The Original poster who suggested the star washers removed his scuttle completely and with a socket spanner & hammer knocked the star washes down.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Well in fairness any pipe will block, the ones fitted on our Broadway were fully blocked but fitting home made ones is going to be just the same unless you make an effort to keep them clear. 

For example this is the large drain hose that is fitted to the drivers side and vents into the wing (marquis were obviously happy to leave it as it was) but I removed it and had to soak it in the bath to soften and remove the crud, the diameter of this hose is huge so it's not the fault of the hose but just sheer neglect by the owner! 

The drain hoses at each side can simply be pulled upwards and out from the scuttle and simply run some water through them from a tap every few months, although if you check and pour water into the scuttle every 2 or 3 weeks and watch how quickly the water escapes beneath the vehicle I fail to see how anyone can find these drain hoses innifcient!

As I've already said I can run water into our Broadway's scuttle from a hose and the water is evacuated as quick as I can fill it, so nothing wrong with this system...

We also have a sloping drive, and the engine bay is also bone dry, although I've bought the two narrow drain hoses I've not fitted them as they are spares and I'm using the originals that were already in place, I did in addition fit the centre drain tray and evacuation hose beneath the scuttle join despite the engine being fitted with a cover already so water ingress under the bonnet is not really an issue providing these precautions are taken.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Everyone to their own way of sorting the problem.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Could Cruising Comet advise where he purchased the tube from my local Peugeot Citroen dealer quoted £24.xx + VAT for part No 7141 46
njr001

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 pm

I have ordered one from our local Peugeot Citroen dealer, £24.25 plus the dreaded VAT. Strange that they had it down as a Peugeot

part but was shown on the parts display of a Citroen Jumper on their computer system. Another Citroen dealer that I checked quoted

me 20% more than that.
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:48 am

Sorry for not spotting this sooner, not been on for a few days...

It looks like they have overcharged you! The £24.25 is the cost of the evacuation pipe and collection tray, the smaller water pipes are just £4.73 

I've pulled out the invoice and photographed it but hopefully you can read it clear enough... If I were both of you I'd be getting a refund from the dealers for the difference as that's just dire incompetency!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:53 am

Forgot to mention the dealer (parts desk) I used are Duff Morgan in Norwich, they are both Citreon & Pugeot dealers and the parts desk guys are especially helpful in my experience Tel: 01603 775477

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:09 pm

They are the prices I paid £24.25 for the tray complete and £4.73 for the pipe both plus VAT.
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:45 am

Ahh that's a relief... Don't know if it was just me, but the way I read both previous posts was that you had both paid the £24+ for the smaller dia hoses.

Male

Back to top Go down