The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaking whale pushfit connecters

+6
moggyminor1966
Billy Ruffian
ubuntu1
peugeotboxer
Peter Brown
peejay
10 posters

Go down

leaking whale pushfit connecters Empty leaking whale pushfit connecters

Post by peejay Tue 19 Mar 2013 - 16:28

Ive just refilled my water tank after it was drained down for winter some of the whale pushfits were loose Ive replaced the ones i can see that were leaking but i still get the pump re-priming every 5/6minutes and a possible leak from under bathroom tray is there a way to get at any other joints without removing whole bathroom or is there any way to get them to reseal themselves
peejay
peejay

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo 2010 model

Back to top Go down

leaking whale pushfit connecters Empty Re: leaking whale pushfit connecters

Post by Peter Brown Tue 19 Mar 2013 - 16:39

A couple of weeks ago a friend had a similar problem on a Devon. That is the same size and layout as the Neuvo so I expect the plumbing is similar.

He took his back to the AS Service Centre who had to remove the shower tray, under which were manifolds of hot and cold water distribution. One of the push on connectors was loose and was replaced.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue 19 Mar 2013 - 18:08

Hi peejay

Would you be kind enough to introduce yourself here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

leaking whale pushfit connecters Empty water leak

Post by ubuntu1 Tue 19 Mar 2013 - 21:12

From what you have described there is no easy solution. Its a strip down job to find the faulty connection.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 14:39

Just had mine done at AS yesterday. I got the impression that Whale fittings are prone to catastrophic leaks of this nature - this is the third time this year! shrugg

January - joints under the kitchen; early March by the Whale inlet; yesterday under the wardrobe. Whilst there the fitter noticed that the joints were leaking in the bathroom and replaced those as well (access by removing the toilet I believe). I think the replacements are not from whale. Heater has been running for 18 hours now to dry out the flooded areas.

Now I need to concentrate on the Thetford fridge which continues to be a problem - AS do not service this item Thetford do - but it would appear to be difficult to get a Thetford service agent to respond.

Last edited by Billy Ruffian on Wed 20 Mar 2013 - 14:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra info)
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri 22 Mar 2013 - 16:59

We just arrived today on a CCC site at Dartmoor for our first outing of the year and filled the water tank on site for the first time since it was drained down and found we had water running out from under the fire!
This is on our Nuevo EK. Took the drawer out to see what was going on and water was leaking from both push on elbow connectors to the micro switch. I drove to Martins of Exeter motorhome dealer after taking a photo and I got 2 12mm black W4 connectors. The previous ones were white and Whale I assume. These black ones do seem to be better. Think in future I will carry some spares but if they are prone to coming off then why on earth do they not design something better!?
Now got the fire full on as the white material protection at the back of the fire is sodden. up!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri 22 Mar 2013 - 17:50

Given that a lot of the failures some to occur early in the year, is it possible that this type of connector is susceptible to frost either dislodging or damaging them?

I know that it's practically impossible to fully drain the water system for winter - there will always be low points that no amount of blowing or sucking can completely drain. Usually these low points are in the flexible pipework where the expansion of ice does no harm, but if one happens to be at a joint then damage may be unavoidable.

I can't see an easy way round that problem, but if your van has these connectors it would be a good reason to test-fill the whole system and inspect all the joins when the water system is recommissioned each year.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat 23 Mar 2013 - 16:56

Found these on eBay which may be better as they have metal collets so may be more durable than the plastic collets. At least it is sensible to carry some spares now.

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon 1 Apr 2013 - 11:41

I had a problem on my Suffolk model on re-priming, the shower tray was filling with water, the leak was coming from inside the swing wall which houses the wash basin and filling up the shower tray, it was quite easy to remove the inspection panel behing the swing wall which is retained by 4 screws and then replace the leaking 12mm connector.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Tue 2 Apr 2013 - 9:26

I currently have just one remaining leak; this time from the shower corner piece - where the pipes go to the shower. I've bought some of the black elbows with the metal inserts to replace the Whale fittings.

Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

leaking whale pushfit connecters Empty Leaking pushfit water connectors

Post by Gyp C Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 8:45

Our Nuevo EK was 18 month old when we noticed water dripping from the push fit connectors on the yellow truma dump valve located under under the offside bench seat. We contacted AS who sent us two new fittings which where easily replaced. One month later water was appearing in the living area from under the shower room door.
We got back onto AS who after some heated discussion admitted there was a fault with the Whale fittings and Whale had admitted liability and the cost of replacement.
We were invited to AS at Wilersley who changed all the push fittings in the system no small job as the toilet had to be removed.
It is now twelve months since this work was completed and so far so good.
Hope this tale of woe helps to shed some light on the subject
Gyp C
Gyp C

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo LP EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat 13 Apr 2013 - 15:55

I am trying to replace all the whale push on pipe connectors I can get easy access to and have bought some straight, elbow and tee 12mm connectors from eBay with the metal inserts. There are some of the whale connectors which are slightly different and would appreciate any help in identifying what they are called so I can get suitable replacements.
The first is one of the elbow connectors going to the hot water tank emptying valve. It has the normal push fit on one end but a male type plastic pipe on the other. Photo below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The other one is connected to the whale Watermaster inlet on the inside of the Nuevo connected to the water solenoid I think. This is a straight connector with the normal push fit on one end but a hand turn screw wheel where it goes onto the solenoid. Photo below.

The last one is connected to the washbasin in the bathroom accessed by a removable cover at the back of the swing out shower wall. It is a straight connector and I have taken a photo which shows the existing Whale white connector and the replacement which is not as long as the whale one so you can see where it goes onto the metal end of the stainless flexi pipe from the tap it does not go on as far and you can easily pull it off and it does not seem to hold as tight. I am wondering if you need a special straight connector as one end goes onto metal rather than the rigid water pipe? Photo below.

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 9:31

Bump can anyone help on my post please?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 10:10

The black connector shown in your photo is the same type as I have fitted to my Suffolk, also accessed from behind the swing wall, I have had no trouble with the connector I fitted and mine to connects to metal on one side, I must admit I was doubtful when fitting it but I have had no leaks or any other problem,.
hope you get yours sorted ok.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 10:16

padraigpost wrote:The black connector shown in your photo is the same type as I have fitted to my Suffolk, also accessed from behind the swing wall, I have had no trouble with the connector I fitted and mine to connects to metal on one side, I must admit I was doubtful when fitting it but I have had no leaks or any other problem,.
hope you get yours sorted ok.
Don

Hi Don thanks for that was a bit worried as the black connector does not seem to go on as far as the Whale one but as you have had no problems they must be OK. Where yours the ones with the metal insert inside? I got mine from EBay on my previous link.

Have you replaced the ones on the Watermaster inlet shown on my photo?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 10:28

Hi, mine were the ones with the metal insert and look identical to the ones in the picture, I did not get them from ebay, I think I got them from leisureshop direct but I cannot be sure, I have not replaced any others but I know the dealer had to as when I collected the van from new I found water leaks and the dealer said there were 4 connectors leaking, it was a bigger job than i would tackle as the Truma heater had to come out for them to access them, it was just one of the faults on my "snag list"
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 10:35

My experience of these type of connectors goes back a number of years in the automotive industry.
I came across them in hydraulic systems, both oil and air and were made by 'Legris'

When it came to add additional fittings it soon became apparent how expensive they were!
As these type of fittings became more popular, many 'similar' fittings were available, but although very much cheaper, were inferior in their manufacture, quality and reliability. Needless to say the failure rate was very much higher. (you get what you pay for!!)
The purchasing department for my Company were well pleased with themselves for making such a saving on buying these cheaper versions, however the number of breakdowns and failures of these far outweighed the savings many times over!!

I cannot comment on the fittings mentioned in this post, but just a word of caution to anyone buying replacements..............they are not all the same!!
Be careful when buying from auction sites etc

To buy a 'cheap' fitting can be 'expensive' when it fails as we all know.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 10:46

Thanks for the info PB and appreciate what you say but Whale fittings are not particularly cheap but seem to have a good failure rate. The firm on EBay where I purchased the connectors supply them to manufacturers in the leisure industry so one would assume they must be as reliable as any other on the market.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 11:02

Hi MM,
Hope I can help.

The elbow is normally referred to as a 'stem elbow'
Like this;

If the solenoid has a standard 1/2" BSP thread, then you are looking for a female adaptor........ snigger
Like this;

I know what you mean about the 'nylon airline' type fittings pulling straight off. These rely upon the internal pressure locking them on. In a motorhome situation this isn't always the case and as you point out is even worse when they are vertically mounted and gravity has it's way.
If there is room, your local plumbing merchant will supply you with a 12mm coupler (HEP2/Polypipe/etc.) that has a locking collar that you turn by hand after push fitting. Your 12mm pipe may require an insert with this type of fitting.

Good hunting, allthumbz
Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon 15 Apr 2013 - 12:12

Thanks very much for the info Derek smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 12:09

I had a leak from the swingwall last week while we were away. However, after a couple of days the leak stopped !
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon 20 May 2013 - 17:53

As I am still having trouble with the push fit connectors whilst on holiday the one under the sink and also in the bathroom. The ones on the hot tap it is coming off the metal mono tap tail. Is it possible to use the 12mm pneumatic ones like this?

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed 22 May 2013 - 16:45

Bump anybody please? confused3
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed 22 May 2013 - 18:30

moggyminor1966 wrote:Bump anybody please? confused3

If the size you are after is the same, then they probably will do the job.
There was a thread regarding these fittings a little while ago.
From my work experience, these type of fittings are NOT all the same, there are good and bad fittings out there. (Expensive and cheap!)

Although I am not recommending these:

The manufacturers blurb is pretty comprehensive:

If it were me, I would go for one of these.

Also when fitting, ensure that the fitting is 'pushed' onto the pipe as far as it will go and give it a 'tug' just to ensure it is in place.

Good luck and let the forum know how you get on.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun 26 May 2013 - 19:30

Finally got it sorted called in at Ebor Caravans on the A64 who were very helpful and their service engineer said that where the connectors go onto the metal part of the tap tail on the hot taps they recommend Whale as they expand and contract with the heat of the hot tap. I purchased all they had 3 packets with 2 in each straight connectors at £6.99 a packet so quite reasonable. No further problems so far. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down