The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey spare wheel

+4
daveandgill
David Benson
groundhog
golly
8 posters

Go down

Surrey spare wheel Empty Surrey spare wheel

Post by golly Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 am

As I'm sure you know, the Mercedes based coachbuilts don't come with a spare wheel. Have any other Autosleeper Surrey owners purchased a spare and if so where do you store it.
golly
golly

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Surrey spare wheel Empty Re: Surrey spare wheel

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Not sure if you are buying a new van, mine is listed as not having a spare wheel either just the emergency repair kit. Looked underneath and guess what was there..... and its an alloy one up! Worth a check!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by golly Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:41 pm

No such luck I'm afraid, the space where it would go is taken up with the fresh and grey water tanks. My van is a 2010 model and only has the puncture kit, I have had ultra seal put in the tyres but would still prefer to have a spare. I have acquired a sprinter steel wheel but there is just no place to safely carry it. I will just have to travel with all fingers crossed :-)
golly
golly

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Surrey spare wheel Empty Spare fitted

Post by David Benson Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:17 pm

I purchased a 2008 Autosleeper Devon just before xmas 2012 and did begin to wonder why my freshwater tank was fitted in the off side bed box I also found the wheel bolts for a steel wheel in the glove compartment( the van is fitted with alloys). It was only when I was going through all the paperwork that came with the van that I found a large bill made out to the first owne,r not the one I purchaced the van from. The bill was from Auto sleepers for the transfer of the freshwater tank and the fitting of a spare wheel under the van. I guess the first owner had a bad puncture experience. The Devon van does come with a standard Mercedes get you home kit to seal and inflate a punctured tyre I have not had any experience with these kits so have no idea of how well they work. Personally I think that if I get on with the Devon and deciede to keep it for a while I may get the freshwater tank put back under the van wich would give me the option of carring a spare wheel in the bed box if I felt it was nessesary may be on a longer continental trip. But then again I cannot remember last having a puncture on either of our cars. This combined with say AA recovery or repair and at my age doing myself potential damage trying to change the wheel on a motorhome maybe the best bet.
I imagine the reason the small Mercedes such as the Devon are not fitted with spare wheels is the short length combined with rear wheel drive. I will be interested what experience of puntures other members have had.

David
David Benson
David Benson

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon

Back to top Go down

Post by daveandgill Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi

Does the Nuevo ek 2009 onwards have a spare wheel?

Dave
daveandgill
daveandgill

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : trident

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

daveandgill wrote:Hi

Does the Nuevo ek 2009 onwards have a spare wheel?

Dave

Yes David, my 09 Nuevo 4 berth ek/es has a spare wheel attached to a wind down carrier.
Boaby up!
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Surrey spare wheel Empty surrey spare wheel

Post by richardcurrie Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Yes, I have recently fitted a new Mercedes 6 stud sprinter wheel with new 235/65-16 conti vanco4S 2 118 R tyre. I have a 2009 model Surrey.

I simply removed the rear wood effect panel from the rear of the locker/seat/bed section behind the front passenger seat (4 screws and unstick the corner tape). With all the cushions etc removed the wheel just drops in nicely part under the seat and partly under the board that links the double seat-belted seat and the seat behind the passenger seat.  It does not get in the way but you lose the underseat storage space.
It is a close fit: I made a dummy wheel and tyre from cardboard, making sure the dimensions were accurate: this indicated the new wheel and tyre would fit.  You could remove one of your road wheels to check but you must allow for the wear on the tread of this wheel if you intend to use a new tyre on the spare. It is that close!

Hope you get on ok.

Richard
richardcurrie
richardcurrie

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Surrey
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]