The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandhurst

4 posters

Go down

Sandhurst  Empty Sandhurst

Post by KENNJEN Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 am

Hi all .I’ve got the problem with the decals crazing so have been to a local sign business in Plymouth to get a quote just for the long silver one on the offside which was £120 +vat which included removal of old decal .So in an effort to save some money I spent an hour and a half with hair drier yesterday to remove it myself which with care went well .All I need to do now is polish that side of van before it is renewed on the 23rd of October.I will keep you informed of the final outcome.                                                                                   Another problem I encountered during the annual service which I carry out myself was the spare wheel whic h over the years I’ve checked the pressure without removal from the carrier.This year I looked at the steel rim which was in need of painting so decided to remove spare unfortunately both securing bolts had totally seized infact the only way I could get it down was by snapping of both bolt heads.I took the bracket to my local engineers who drilled out the old bolts retaped and supplied new bolts. Thoughts of our trips away not being able to get spare out a lesson learned./
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst  Empty Re: Sandhurst

Post by Gromit Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

KENNJEN wrote: . . . the spare wheel which over the years I’ve checked the pressure without removal from the carrier.
How many years?

There are differing opinions on this, but most people seem to agree that tyres should be changed after around 5 or 6 years for safety reasons, even if they have never been used.

There are loads of posts on all the forums, and professional advice from tyre companies. Could be worth a browse.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Sandhurst  Empty Spare wheel spare

Post by KENNJEN Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for your advice Dave ,i do know of the tyre lifespan I was trying to highlight the fact of if fellow owners take their vehicles for servicing and the garage checks the spare pressure without removal of the whole wheel they could run into the same problem.The design of the bracket allows the thread which releases the spare to fill with water and corrode leading to the problem I encountered.Ken
KENNJEN
KENNJEN
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks Ken

A good reminder to get underneath with the WD40 spray can. I couldn't any longer change a wheel at my age (74), but it would be kinder to the RAC man if the nuts were not seized solid!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am

Agreed - if it's the standard VW spare carrier, it's a problem that quite a few people experience. The bolts they use are big - the same head size as a wheel bolt - so few people have the physical strength the snap the head off without a really long breaker bar!

WD40 should be a help in freeing up seized ones, but my preference is to smear the full length of the threads with CopperEase before putting them in. It's good for that as it's stodgier than, say, Waxoyl, and should not be washed away by road spray.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by matts vw Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi, not long had my van so better check rather than messing about in the rain, thanks for the tip, matt
matts vw
matts vw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 50
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down