The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out side door light

4 posters

Go down

Out side door light Empty Out side door light

Post by Robbie Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Just noticed tonight as we are away for a few days the outside light on our motorhome is not working so could do with some guidance.
The outside light switches on when the AUX button is pressed on the Sargent EC325 control unit. Had a quick look this evening and it appears that the control unit sends a signal to the 325 unit which in turn switches 12v to the light. Our light has no 12v going to it so the fault must lie elsewhere has anyone come across this before or know the o /p terminal on the 325 unit to test for a 12v feed.
Will buzz AS on Monday if it's still wonkey.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Out side door light Empty Re: Out side door light

Post by inspiredron Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Have you checked fuse 6 on the charger unit? That feeds the aux circuit. You can download the EC325 manusl from the Sargent web site:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 am

Thankyou for taking the time to look that up, net slow here on phone so only been able to get on a couple of times this pat 4 days.
I had checked fuse 6 which is a 10amp fuse but swapped/ replaced it this evening and no power to the light. We get home tmw so will get my proper gear out and make sure of the power readings and bulb connected to a true 12v supply. I Have a feeling it's not a simple bulb/fuse issue at the moment, will update thread as I progress or information flow from. AS technical depth.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 pm

I meant to update this thread but forgot until today. Anyways when we got back home after the last trip away and everything sorted I decided a few days later to carry on and see what the issue was. So outside I went turned on control panel, hit the AUX switch and hey presto the light worked and worked a few times since whenchecked so I said to myself job done.
Well hmm that was to today and guess what........ Yup it didn't work.
With some knowledge this time and after reading manual I check the fuse which is fine, checked connection at plug, Grey wire/red stripe at ec325 unit which showed over several test between 1.2V right up to 10.1V across the multimeter. The connections in the cupboard just behind light showed the same strange readings but when the load connected ie the bulb it did not light.
After an hour I have come to the conclusion that their may well be a fault in the ec325 unit. When the AUX switch is pressed you can hear the relay latching inside the EC325 so it's assumed the coil side of the relay is working. The relay contacts I think may not be making properly or a hairline fault to the output plug may be causing the issue. Basically some times power will connect to the light and it will illuminate and other times the power is not getting out of the Ec325 unit. Looks like it's a warranty phone call / when we get home this time aether the light decides to keep going this time or not.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:00 pm

We had an intermittent problem a couple of years ago so had a look at the light fitting which had partially come apart. I replaced it and at the same time fitted an led instead of a bulb.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 pm

That was my first thought Roli, however just on the inside of the van in the cupboard there is a spade connector joint which leads out to the light. During my tests I had disconnected the outside light at this joint and installed a 12v test bulb with leads which I know is working as I tested it today across a know 12v supply.
I also had run a separate ground test wire to ensure that it wasn't a faulty earth somewhere.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am

We rang Sargent and they sent over a replacement EC325 and their courier collected the faulty one. Installed the replacement EC325 and the exterior light has given no problems since either at home or on a few trips away smile! . The fault must of been down to faulty contacts in the relay that was triggered when the AUX switch was turned on in the control panel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 am

"Nice one" Robbie allthumbz

Oh the joy of having an Old 'Clubman' ..... without all that sensored1 Electronic sensored1 .... hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down