The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIDE HATCHES

+2
gef
tikiti
6 posters

Go down

SIDE HATCHES Empty SIDE HATCHES

Post by tikiti Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 pm

I have a Worcester AS. I have been getting a fair amount of rain water at the bottom of the bottom hatch down the side of the AS. It appears that there might have been 2 small drain holes drilled inside at each front corner. Is this so any water can drain and why????  I have re-sealed  with silicone, right round the outside and inside of the locker. But water still comes in during heavy rain. The top locker does not have this problem and is always dry inside. Help appreciated.
Jean
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : WORCESTER.

Back to top Go down

SIDE HATCHES Empty Re: SIDE HATCHES

Post by gef Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:32 pm

It's often known  as a wet locker.
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

SIDE HATCHES Empty SIDE LOCKERS

Post by tikiti Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks. I realised it probably is a "Wet  Locker" but we do not put anything wet in there - not hoses, chocks - nothing  ever wet gets stored in that locker.  But still the water gets in - somewhere. Reading lots of posts on this forum and will have to check the internal seals again and do a "paper test" - even put the hose on the locker. Will be in touch.
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : WORCESTER.

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamF Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:26 pm

As “gef” says, they are always known as wet lockers. I think you will find that the rubber seals on the wide locker doors can never be perfect and due to their low position the water spray in bad weather is somewhat bound to find a way in to a certain degree.

I do get some water in on my Worcester in the lower locker but never in the upper one. 

I think the holes you have sealed are really drain holes and would be better reinstated.

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 am

Shortly after buying new my Nuevo, I noticed some water in that underslung locker. [There's a thread on this somewhere.] Under warranty, AS examined and found that a seam between the upper and lower parts of the bodywork (inside the locker, bottom left corner looking in) had not been sealed. They did so - but in addition put some spongy, stick-on seal all around the inside edge of the locker door. The door is a tight fit to close. That cured it. I've left the 2 corner drain holes unblocked, lest water does get in and can't get out. I'd try that to start with.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:07 am

They’re known as “wet lockers” because you can store wet stuff in there without speading the water and dirt to the rest of the van. They are not meant to leak. The drain holes are to allow water from wet objects to drain out, not water from leaks, however caused.

We had to have ours lifted and held in position shortly after we bought the van new. That did the trick and it has been bone dry in there ever since no matter what the external conditions are like.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pm

Quilter wrote:..... We had to have ours lifted and held in position shortly after we bought the van new. That did the trick and it has been bone dry in there ever since no matter what the external conditions are like.
Could you spell out what is meant by 'lifted and held in position'?

As Cymro pointed out, there is at least one thread on the forum about leaking so called 'wet lockers'.  Mine leaks.  The evidence is dampness under the rubber mat in the locker.  I assume this dampness would be much worse if the two drain holes were not there.  I can't see how the water is getting in but I believe it is rain via the seal around the hatch.  Part of the problem I suspect is the flexibility of the hatch.  I would rather water didn't get into the locker but I only store things in it that won't be damaged e.g. levelling wedges (not in their bag), chocks and plastic bottles.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Caraman wrote:

Could you spell out what is meant by 'lifted and held in position

The fibreglass floor of the locker wasn’t strong enough and sagged under load. This meant that instead of the rubber door seal closing against the rubber seal on the aperture of the locker it closed against a canvassy inner to the seal. Water could leak through this area and spread by capillary action.

AS put an aluminium bar under the locker floor and added more fibreglass over it all, making the floor flat and strong and “ lifting” it so the door seals met as they were designed to do. No problems since and it is 7 years since done.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Quilter wrote:
Caraman wrote:

Could you spell out what is meant by 'lifted and held in position

The fibreglass floor of the locker wasn’t strong enough and sagged under load. This meant that instead of the rubber door seal closing against the rubber seal on the aperture of the locker it closed against a canvassy inner to the seal. Water could leak through this area and spread by capillary action.

AS put an aluminium bar under the locker floor and added more fibreglass over it all, making the floor flat and strong and “ lifting” it so the door seals met as they were designed to do. No problems since and it is 7 years since done.
Thanks.  I don't think the strength of the locker floor is now an issue.  Mine certainly feels OK.  When I first inspected a new Nuevo at a dealership (not the one I actually bought) the 'wet locker' was indeed wet and it had nothing in it.  I brought this to the attention of the salesman who said he had never seen this before.  He was either lying or didn't know the motorhome - it could have been either!
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:38 pm

Caraman wrote:Thanks.  I don't think the strength of the locker floor is now an issue.  Mine certainly feels OK.  When I first inspected a new Nuevo at a dealership (not the one I actually bought) the 'wet locker' was indeed wet and it had nothing in it.  I brought this to the attention of the salesman who said he had never seen this before.  He was either lying or didn't know the motorhome - it could have been either!

We could not see any misfit when trying to work out why we got water in the locker and neither could the dealer. It really was not obvious. Fortunately AS had, we think, met it before and knew immediately what to do. I think there had also been something about it on a forum as well but it was a long time ago.

An easy way to check is to ‘ ice’ something (wet felt pen, line of talc etc) quickly but neatly round the  centre line of the aperture rubber seal, close the locker door and see whether the material transfers neatly on to the centre of the rubber door seal.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down