The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

change from Nuevo to Talisman

+2
Actionmike
bonnie
6 posters

Go down

change from Nuevo to Talisman Empty change from Nuevo to Talisman

Post by bonnie Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 am

hi
We have a 1999 Talisman. Weren't thinking of changing it, but just saw a 2003 Nuevo in a local garage. The garage was closed, so couldn't look inside. Looking through windows, it looks very similar layout and size to talisman, but outside looks shorter and neater.
According to the advert it is a Peugeot 2.2 330 Lx Swb Hdi S/r. Anyone know what these mean? I assume SWb means short wheel base.
Our Talisman in a 2.5 turbo diesel, but pretty awful to drive, especially uphill, and round corners. What is the 2003 2.2 like to drive? We'll try to go and view it properly maybe tomorrow, but can anyone tell me what the Nuevo doesn't have, that the Talisman does, as it appears to be a couple of feet shorter.
I think this is the 2 berth one, so no Luton beds.
It looks from the ad photo as if there are caravan type awning rails on the side. Is this correct?
Sorry for the rambling. Just trying to get some ideas of what to look for if we go and have a look.
It will of course depend on part exchange price etc.
Any comments welcome.
Will also post on Monocoque page to see if anyone has made a similar change. I hope that's allowed!!!
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

change from Nuevo to Talisman Empty Re: change from Nuevo to Talisman

Post by Actionmike Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi bonnie,
we used to have a 2.5 turbo Talisman, once I have the fuel pick-up filter ( in the diesel tank ) cleaned it used to fly along! It was covered in a brown goo, (old contaiminated fuel) This is a very "torguey" motor, and hills were not a problem to us. Does your van "stutter" ocaisionally?, this could be a sign of a blocked filter, or maybe the turbo needs checking.
We traded our Talisman in for a 07 Nuevo, best thing we have done! It is smaller in lengh, but a bit wider, and a very similar layout. Can't comment on the engine as we have a 3ltr. Hope this is some help.
Mike
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

thanks, Mike.
What do you like about the Nuevo as compared to the Talisman?
Does the slightly smaller length (and height?) make much difference in terms of driving, manoeuvering, parking?
We love the inside of our Talisman, but the vehicle is just that bit too big to regularly move from campsite to go to fish and chip shop, pub etc. I think it is partly psychological - the Talisman is not a very big vehicle, it just seems bigger than it is, maybe because of the shape? Does this make any sense?
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 am

I'm with Mike on the power output - you should not be feeling that a 2.5TDi of that era is sluggish. I've driven a similar van of that age and (if you ignore the physical size) it did not feel at all cumbersome. As already said, could be fuel filter, or it might be an engine sensor or control valve not within spec.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 am

Well, we have a '98 Talisman NON turbo 2.5, ok so its a bit gutless, but I soon got used to it & am now quite happy to cruise around at 60 or so, & 'play'
the box of cogs up & down hills, I disagree as to it 'being awful to drive, I personally like driving mine smile!

I DO regularly take it offsite & into towns/villages & the like & park up locally, its small at 6m, the ONLY restriction is of course the height-barriers.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Bonnie,
we have a 2005 Nuevo (it's our first motorhome) and it's got a Peugeot 2.2 Hdi engine (turbocharged).
This motors us along nicely and from what I've heard is so much preferable than the smaller 2 litre version.
The 'van is just about 5.5 metres in length and is really manouevreable.
To be honest, we've never moved it offsite once parked up because we cycle everywhere.
But, we can easily get into supermarket spaces where bigger 'vans certainly can't.
I'm not familiar with the Talisman layout, but can heartily recommend theNuevo as a compact
2-berther. good2
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Actionmike Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 am

Hi Bonnie,
the Nuevo is a much later van than our Talisman, so everything feels much "newer". The previous owner had only done 10,000 miles in 4 yrs, so its hardly been used, he had also fitted a lot of expensive extras. It drives like a big car, has exellent mirrors, and a super reversing camera that is "on" all the time. (you can see whats behind or getting too close!) We don't miss the extra space, 'cos we allways seem to have a spare cupboard when we go away! Its a great van, thoroughly reccommend it.
Mike.
Actionmike
Actionmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : NUEVO EK 3.0
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks for the info about the Nuevo. Decided to keep the Talisman for at least another year. As you will see from my other recent posts, it needs 4 new tyres and ,now, I discover, new cat, as someone has removed the old one while in our drive!!!!!!! So, decided to spend the money on her and enjoy her for maybe a couple more years. Could only afford to get something a few years younger ( eg 2003) , so will probably wait and see how we feel after a couple of years. If we have another couple of awful summers, it won't be used much!!!!!!!
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Our 2012 2.2 litre Nuevo and 2002 2.8 litre Executive are next to each other in our drive so easy to compare them.

The Nuevo is no longer but is a few inches taller and wider. The Nuevo’s wheel base is about a foot shorter and so it turns better but the front and back swing out more – if you could see our drive entrance you would appreciate why we know this!

Inside my 5’3” wife needs a stool to see into the Nuevo’s overhead lockers but she is fine without a stool in the Executive. The Nuevo has a bigger bathroom but shorter lounge seats. However, the bigger bathroom space is offset by a fixed sink whereas the Executive’s sink folds up. The toilet holding tank capacity is much less in the Nuevo. The shorter lounge space can be won back in the Nuevo by swivelling the front seats – although there are no overhead reading lights for them (yet) and you lose overnight storage on them because they make up part of the single beds in the Nuevo.

The storage is in different places in each van but ends up about the same capacity but slightly easier in the Executive to use. Quality of build and materials is better in the Executive but of course this was reflected in the price when new.

We have bought the Nuevo because we need the belted seats for grandchildren. Otherwise we would not have changed. The Executive is for sale – see the for sale section.

We like the Nuevo ES but the Executive is more comfortable – this may be simply be because we are not used to the Nuevo yet.
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks Billy Ruffian for your comments. It's useful to have info from someone who can make an actual comparison . I assume the Executive is much the same as the Talisman. We have decided to keep ours - we so much like the interior space and good build quality, and it has a very low mileage. She looks enormous sat on the drive, but on a campsite, when you see her next to a "big" motorhome, she looks tiny! I hope you get used to your new van - I'm sure you will love it once you get used to it.
Alison
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi Alison

Yes the Executive is the same van as the Talisman except that the Executive has benches both sides of the habitation.

Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 pm

As I am only 5 foot 2, another reason to stick with the Talisman. You don't always think about these details.
bonnie
bonnie

Female

Back to top Go down