The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo change to LED Lighting

+6
Ramblingon
Alf
squip
Tony F
andygump
bob14
10 posters

Go down

Nuevo change to LED Lighting Empty Nuevo change to LED Lighting

Post by bob14 Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Has any Nuevo owner changed his fluorescent strip lighting to LED strip lighting,
bob14
bob14

Back to top Go down

Nuevo change to LED Lighting Empty Re: Nuevo change to LED Lighting

Post by andygump Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi

Most people seem to change over to LED to conserve the leisure battery when off EHU.

Last weekend I used an LED Light in the Van to give me some idea of what it would be like, and quite honestly, I was not impressed with it at all. We resorted to our original spots when reading in bed(a much softer light) as the LED lights were very harsh. I would think you could try a couple of lights before you decide to convert completely.

Andy shrugg shrugg
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Not tried changing flourescent to led yet, but successfully switched from the small halogen bulbs (G4?) to leds. I did this for two reasons; yes battery draw was one, but the main reason was the number of times I inadvertently (inattentively perhaps) burned myself when turning the reading lights off. Leds generate virtually no heat. Be sure to go for the "warm white" option; many people, including me, find the white just too bluish and very harsh.

Tony
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm exactly the same as Tony on this. I fitted a warm white LED into the spotlight and am well satisfied with it. Good colour light and much much cooler to touch. All of the heat generated by a halogen bulb has to be paid for in battery usage.
squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:26 pm

We got a 10 led G4 LED unit from Aten they sent a sample for us to try before buying allthumbz
the 10 led white unit gives 60% more light than a 10 watt halgen and runs at 2.2wall try their website
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] studying

Alf
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Just changed my 4 spots for LED £6.50 ish I will save a load of power as these are the only lights in regular long lasting use, (pig to get in BTW) I was going to change my strip lights but as the saving on power will only be 20% per light and I rarely use them -at a cost of £100 for the entire van I thought I won't bother.
You remove the innards of each florescent light and connect the self adhesive led strips to the switch then stick the lights in the casing, a reasonable amount of work but not impossible. hugegrins
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by bob14 Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for all your comments
bob14
bob14

Back to top Go down

Nuevo change to LED Lighting Empty Murph

Post by murph Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:42 pm

I have changed most of the lights to LED mainly using lenths of leds on a strip stuck to a piece of wood sanded to a suitable shapeand stuck to the roof but you must remove the Electronics bit which is an inverter and raises 12 volt to 110 volt to start the tube
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:39 pm

I have seen advice elsewhere that it is not worth changing florescents as they are nearly as efficient as LEDs.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Nuevo change to LED Lighting Empty Leds lights

Post by murph Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Fowey boy,
I understand that the small flourecent tubes fitted in many MH's draw 11 amps per tube, and a metre lenth of stickyback LEDs draws only 4.2 amps plus the start load on flourecent is high because they have an inverter in them to convert the current from 12volt to 110volt to start them up. So LEDs are a considerable saving on battery power over flourecent. Would someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am

murph wrote: Hi Fowey boy,
I understand that the small flourecent tubes fitted in many MH's draw 11 amps per tube, and a metre lenth of stickyback LEDs draws only 4.2 amps plus the start load on flourecent is high because they have an inverter in them to convert the current from 12volt to 110volt to start them up. So LEDs are a considerable saving on battery power over flourecent. Would someone please correct me if I am wrong. Brian

Can't see that being right as each fluorescent tube is only 8 watts , so a light with 2 tubes is only 16 watt and at 12v that only equates to 1.33 amps per light or have I got that wrong.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Nuevo change to LED Lighting Empty Neuvo change to L E D lighting

Post by Neuvosleeper Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Brian, yes you are right, best all homers with little or no electrical knowledge study Battery Output in Wickapedia . since most are rated at 80 a.h a sound battery thus will give you 80 amps per hour until its almost flat at about 35 hours reduced voltage will follow voltage is "pressure" as in water amps are "volume" as in water ! ! I could stand corrected who knows. Anyway is it easy to get those obscure tubes "out " of a Nuevo, I understand from Mark at A/S service the centre stop light cannot be removed ?? our 2011 model has yet to be invultrated, I'v removed most of the body rattles and the sparrows in the rear door area . Enuf: not too impressed at the price. Nuevosleeper.
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrie Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I just wish I could turn my florescent tubes on. shrugg
Been trying for a while and AS have been of no help whatsoever on this problem.
"Tap the touch-screen," they say. The next time I tap it will be with my size 10.
Norrie
Norrie

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : 2009 Nuevo ES. X250

Back to top Go down