The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weighing your motor home

+15
Kemerton-bath
Paulmold
inspiredron
jwells
Caraman
Tinwheeler
Peter Brown
Dave 418
rgermain
frederic
rogerblack
BobK
Roopert
TeamRienza
IanH
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who has taken their Motor Home to a weigh bridge

Weighing your motor home Vote_lcap48%Weighing your motor home Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 24 ]
Weighing your motor home Vote_lcap34%Weighing your motor home Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 17 ]
Weighing your motor home Vote_lcap10%Weighing your motor home Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]
Weighing your motor home Vote_lcap8%Weighing your motor home Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 50

Poll closed

Weighing your motor home Empty Weighing your motor home

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Interested to see how many people head off to the weigh bridge to weigh their Motor home or camper
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Weighing your motor home Empty Re: Weighing your motor home

Post by IanH Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Start of 3 week long trip, everything full, both axles and total.
I KNOW the exact weight of mine, most guess (wrongly!)
I also do it whenever I change to a different MH as its then a complete unknown.
Especially for those marginal on either rear axle weight or just lacking payload I'd say this is essential, zero cost, very little effort and accurate weights from a calibrated weighbridge. I simply cannot find any reason not to.
I should add that's several different MH's!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:41 pm

I weighed mine a few times in the first two years of purchase and still do it if the opportunity presents.
Weighing in the second year of use of the current van lead to me up plating from 3500 kg to 3850. Fortunately it was a paper exercise and the cost is balanced out by cheaper VED.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:49 pm

With a new van I'll take it to a weighbridge once, just to know where I stand - because it's impossible to know what the individual axle weights are by guessing!

Once I know the starting point, it's fairly easy to estimate how much more I'm carrying than a "typical" trip, and whether I'm likely to be getting near the rear axle limit.

Unfortunately the availability of easily portable weighing equipment now means that getting stopped and checked by DVSA is not as unlikely as it used to be...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 am

~On the same subject (well almost)  how many of you have ever been "pulled" for a weight check ??
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:13 am

Never, however, I am more interested in not overloading, or damaging my rear axle or worse. There is also the occasionally mentioned but rarely proven potential for your insurance to be compromised.
My strategy if stopped and overweight is to put my wife on one of the e bikes with a rucksack (heavily laden) on her back and the tool kit strapped to the rear carrier. Then drain the tanks (potential for 140 kg in the fresh).   up!   That should solve any issue!

We in N. Ireland are fortunate to have free access to self service government weigh bridges, on the main arterial routes, so checking is very easy.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 am

BobK wrote:On the same subject (well almost)  how many of you have ever been "pulled" for a weight check ??

Never. But I know it happens coz I've seen it on the telly!

The current generation of "weighbridges" are so compact - literally just 4 small pads that you drive onto, plus a clever control box - that they can be set up almost anywhere.

But... I suspect that the DVSA are not staffed to do anything other than a tiny number of "stop checks" at any one time - so your chances of getting caught are probably minimal.

Then again, as Davy says, the result if you were involved in a serious accident could be expensive, because you can be certain that your insurance company would void your insurance if the post-accident investigation showed that you were overweight at the time of the accident...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:41 am

TeamRienza wrote:I weighed mine a few times in the first two years of purchase and still do it if the opportunity presents.
Weighing in the second year of use of the current van lead to me up plating from 3500 kg to 3850. Fortunately it was a paper exercise and the cost is balanced out by cheaper VED.

Davy

Does that mean you will need to have medicals to renew your licence when you turn 70?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:44 am

Heard about one guy, pulled over for a weight check, they found his motorhome was 45Kg overweight.
Asked him, what you gonna do?
Don't know he said, water tanks are empty as is bog, so that only leaves the wife or the the dog......

And I like the dog!!!! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain and Mike23 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:26 am

IanH wrote:Start of 3 week long trip, everything full, both axles and total.
I also do it whenever I change to a different MH as its then a complete unknown.
Especially for those marginal on either rear axle weight or just lacking payload I'd say this is essential, zero cost, very little effort and accurate weights from a calibrated weighbridge. I simply cannot find any reason not to.
I always reweigh mine after Christmas hugegrins
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:26 am

Always on a replacement 'van in order to optimise the comfort/handling of the current tyre set, pressurewise!!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:43 am

I have only thought of going to a weigh bridge to confirm my tyre pressures. After running at 50/60 it seems about right so havnt bothered getting it weighed. 
 As far as I can tell we don’t seem to carry as much as some people and the Rienza dosnt seem to handle any different fully loaded for along trip away. It may helped by it being rear wheel drive and having leaf springs at the back.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:24 am

Always weigh a new van with everything full and ready for a trip but not again.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:46 am

Very interesting results the Poll is at the moment at about 50% weigh and 50 % don't.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:47 am

No public weighbridge in my area.  A lot of private ones say they are too busy. I finally got mine weighed through a friend of a friend. If you can't readily access a weighbridge could you appeal certain charges for overloading. Different if the van is sitting right down on the suspension or the front end is pointing skyward.
I also use one of those axle scales where you have to run each wheel over the scale to get the axle load. I was a bit sceptical about this but it actually produced as near the same result as the weighbridge.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:50 am

Well here are some reasons why people perhaps don't weigh:

1) Where I live it costs money
2) The Weigh Bridge is quite a way to travel
3) It takes time and some people are busy
4) It might be considered a little OTT or indeed OCD.

I am sure many like to weigh so they know and I suspect some people even enter it on a spreadsheet  hugegrins

It is good that people are all different don't you think

Last edited by Bigplumbs on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 am

Flyingv58 wrote:No public weighbridge in my area.  A lot of private ones say they are too busy. I finally got mine weighed through a friend of a friend. If you can't readily access a weighbridge could you appeal certain charges for overloading. Different if the van is sitting right down on the suspension or the front end is pointing skyward.
I also use one of those axle scales where you have to run each wheel over the scale to get the axle load. I was a bit sceptical about this but it actually produced as near the same result as the weighbridge.
 Now that is interesting I never knew such a do it at home device existed
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 am

Bigplumbs wrote:

Well here are some reasons why people perhaps don't weigh:

1) Where I live it costs money
2) The Weigh Bridge is quite a way to travel
3) It takes time and some people are busy
4) It might be considered a little OTT or indeed OCD.

I am sure many like to weigh so they know and I suspect some people even enter it on a spreadsheet  hugegrins

It is good that people are all different don't you think
1) It does most places if you want a certificate but only a few quid.
2) Most council areas have a weighbridge facility. Can it not be fitted in en route?
3) The actual weighing process is very quick. Everyone has calls on their time.
4) It is a very common practice amongst caravanners and motorhomers so there must be a lot of OTT/OCD folk about.

Difference makes the world go around.

Last edited by Tinwheeler on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:05 am

When I caravanned I never visited a weigh bridge but I was careful what I loaded and where I put it and therefore was confident I was always well within the van's limits.  When I bought the motorhome I wasn't expecting to have to take it to a weigh bridge because I was also confident I was well within its MTPLMs.  It was the tyre pressure issue that made me go in the end.

The first weigh bridge I used was free at a quarry en-route to a site.  With a total mass of 3200 kg, I was shocked to discover that only 1260 kg was on the front axle with a scarily large 1940 kg on the rear axle (only 60 kg short of of its MTPLM).  This was with only two light bikes on the back (no tow bar) and empty external water tanks and an empty loo which is the way we always travel.  I realised later that the axle readings were affected by ramps leading up to and off the weigh bridge.  

I then discovered that a building merchant around the corner from where I live had a weigh bridge without ramps and only charged £7.20.  With an increased overall mass of 3240 kg, 1390 kg was on the front and 1850 kg on the back which was much better and what I expected.  But this was only achieved by moving the leisure battery as far forward as it would go and storing small but heavy items under and behind the cab seats, in the door pockets and with the EHU cassette under my wife's feet on the cab floor.  The rear upper kitchen lockers are only used for light food items when travelling.  

I don't expect to weigh the van again unless I make a major alteration to it.

Last edited by Caraman on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:15 am

Bigplumbs wrote:
Flyingv58 wrote:No public weighbridge in my area.  A lot of private ones say they are too busy. I finally got mine weighed through a friend of a friend. If you can't readily access a weighbridge could you appeal certain charges for overloading. Different if the van is sitting right down on the suspension or the front end is pointing skyward.
Search for Reich cwc caravan weight control. Costs around £160 now. Was £114 when I bought mine.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:16 am

Roger Black wrote:

Does that mean you will need to have medicals to renew your licence when you turn 70?

Yes, but I shall cross that bridge in due course. I am not aware at this point (fingers crossed) of anything that will cause an issue. I do have plans for the future but on a sliding time scale.

1. I may down plate and cut back on what we carry.
2. We believe that at some point we will downsize to a panel van, who knows, perhaps back to an Autosleeper. This will allow us continue to have a van for holidays and as a day van. Probably using sites more as our current van is a 7 mt A class. I also have a notion of using a panel van in conjunction with overnight stops at travel lodge or similar for showers etc.
3. It is possible I will down plate the current van to reach a wider market when the time to change occurs.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

rogerblack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:40 am

Flyingv58 wrote:
Bigplumbs wrote:
Search for Reich cwc caravan weight control. Costs around £160 now. Was £114 when I bought mine.
When I looked into automatic levelling jacks (which is a lot cheaper than buying them!) I discovered that Al-Ko produce one that also measures the axle masses.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:52 am

And also add to the vehicle mass!
Adamant on this, weighing is the ONLY ACCURATE way to know your total weight and each axle weight, as Caraman found.
Anything else is pure unscientific guesswork
End of rant!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

jwells likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:58 am

I honestly think that there is a massive amount of overthinking and way over the top weighing and calculating going on with many of you. Do you not think you are rather obsessed with this. How many commercial van drivers out there weigh their vans !!!!!

I am going to be one of the 39%.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jwells Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:29 am

Is this post just a wind up?
topmarks

Last edited by jwells on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jwells
jwells

Male

Member Age : 75