The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milenco Stacka Levels

+11
Sally
Dbvwt
Bilbobaggins
breakaleg
inspiredron
babian
IanH
FreelanderUK
Tinwheeler
rogerblack
v8oholic
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Milenco Stacka Levels Empty Milenco Stacka Levels

Post by v8oholic Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 pm

On my "still to investigate" list is a levelling system. Although my intention is always to use hardstanding, which will mostly be quite level, sometimes it's not going to be available, so I guess I need something.

Has anyone used the Milenco Stacka Levels system? It looks quite compact and flexible, but how many would you need. I mean ramps normally come in pairs, but this only has the top plate for one wheel. In theory you might want to raise three wheels? Then it gets expensive and complicated.

https://www.milenco.com/products/levelling/stacka-levels

Any thoughts? Trying to save weight and space, as always!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Milenco Stacka Levels Empty Re: Milenco Stacka Levels

Post by rogerblack Sun May 30, 2021 9:17 pm

Which wheels you use the ramps on will usually depend on which way the slope runs in relation to where you pitch, unless you have the option to orient the van in any way. However I have never known the need to ramp three wheels, only one or two.

As a general rule, if it's the front that needs raising, we usually drive on forwards; if the rear, then we reverse, particularly on soft grass, sand or gravel pitches. The logic for this, based on practical experience, is that you can drive off the ramps either in forward or reverse gear as appropriate and keep going without stopping until on firm ground so as to avoid getting bogged down. This obviously also requires orientation on the pitch to be able to drive off an open side.

Everyone has their own favourite type. Having tried a few different ones with varying success, we have settled on a combination of Fiamma Level Up ramps and Monster Mats

https://www.vancomfort.co.uk/monstermat.htm

If the levelling ramps are not required, we still use the mats under the front (driving) wheels to prevent sinking in, unless we are on hard-standing.  However,  if levelling is required on hard-standing we do use the mats as they grip the ramps and prevent them shooting out if you are a tad unsmooth with the accelerator. 

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

v8oholic and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 pm

We find we hardly ever need to use the ramps and it's even rarer to need them under more than one wheel. Eying up the ground and taking advantage of the Sevel van's slight nose down stance by parking the front on the higher ground seems to nearly always work. The shorter the van, the easier it is to level but we have the bog standard yellow ramps for those odd occasions.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sun May 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks for the tips. I suppose an issue with only being able to raise one wheel is that it might make the van a bit unstable when moving around inside? Probably not worth worrying about though. But I've also noticed that the system I mentioned comes with a bag, 6 blocks and one tyre plate, but you can also buy an extra 3 blocks and a second tyre plate too. Which would all fit in the bag, and give some flexibility.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun May 30, 2021 9:49 pm

You’d raise one wheel if only that one was lower. Once on the ramps - no matter how many wheels - it will be stable.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon May 31, 2021 7:30 am

We have not used the ramps that are carried, I use the air top suspension more than anything, either pumping up or releasing the air to get as level as needed, one of the advantages of fitting the compressor and gauge and release valves in to the dash
Milenco Stacka Levels E7a0c910

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

v8oholic and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 7:45 am

That's a good idea, is it expensive to do?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon May 31, 2021 7:46 am

£180 of ebay

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 7:53 am

Thanks, I'll investigate that as well.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon May 31, 2021 8:30 am

Sorry it was £162, eBay item number 163711136329

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon May 31, 2021 8:37 am

In all the years we had the 2 Warwicks we only used the levelling ramps twice. As someone else said most are nose low so going fwds into a sloping site gets it level automatically.
Using just one to lift a low corner has no stability issues at all that I could see.

As to hydraulic levelling on "our" smaller vans adds just 2 things for me....
Weight
Complexity.

BTW Complexity is the opposite of Simplicity!!! up! up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Mon May 31, 2021 8:38 am

£180, fare price I'd say if thats what you think you need.
we carry a pair of black plastic ramps, Fiamma I think, bought second hand for £10 ( because as usual " I thought we desperately needed them as kit" )
First site we ever stayed on I used the the nose down aspect of the van to our advantage but we were still 1 or 2 degs  out of level, Other half said "and"???
I looked around and found in the hedge two short pieces of timber.
approx 14"- 16" long , 10" wide and 2 1/2" thick. Drove onto them and perfectly level.
I later modified one end of each piece by sawing a short chamfer , like mini wedges ( easy to stow away under benches)
Those two pieces of timber on their own get used about 90% of the time and usually only to adjust the vans side to side levelling .
Easy to remember 1 or 2degs out on iPad app, timber wedges to the rescue.
Big plastic ramps stay in their bag ( ready to be used when all else fails or regimental site officer insists we drive into pitch etc)
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 8:54 am

I like the suspension idea because mine isn’t level on my driveway, either laterally or longitudinally, and using ramps there would be very difficult. I’m also not convinced it’s totally level laterally when on the road and loaded up, but adjusting it at the moment using a manual pump is fiddly because of the poor mounting location of the valves and gauges too close to the B pillar.

I also wonder if I can manage without, although it’s quite annoying when the sink won’t fully drain. And I think the fridge has a fairly narrow tolerance to work properly.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon May 31, 2021 9:19 am

My van isn't level on the driveway either, V8, but it really doesn't matter to me.

I'm very much with IanH in that simple is best and ramps are a rarely used item so cheapest will do fine.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon May 31, 2021 9:33 am

FreelanderUK wrote:Sorry it was £162, eBay item number 163711136329
I'm a bit confused on this. It is described as an "upgrade kit" and some of the comments imply that our vans already have sir suspension assisters. Mine certainly doesn't. Is this only applicable to Coriniia and the like?
Also I see that £162 does not include the import duties from Slovenia. From the tales circulating that could add around £50?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 10:29 am

inspiredron wrote:
I'm a bit confused on this. It is described as an "upgrade kit" and some of the comments imply that our vans already have sir suspension assisters. Mine certainly doesn't. Is this only applicable to Coriniia and the like?
Also I see that £162 does not include the import duties from Slovenia. From the tales circulating that could add around £50?

That assumes you already have air suspension at the rear. Auto sleeper PVCs do as standard, but with manual adjustment which is less flexible.

Milenco Stacka Levels 52f35010
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 am

I have only used my cheap ramps four times in ten years.
As long as my dinner dosen't slide off the table thats level enough for me 
smile!
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Mon May 31, 2021 11:10 am

When I reverse my WXL onto our drive the slope measured on the counter top is 4 degrees, with the rear end lower than front. Haven't had any problems with fridge on gas or electric when getting ready to go away, but wouldn't like to sleep in the van at that angle

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon May 31, 2021 11:36 am

Bilbobaggins wrote:When I reverse my WXL onto our drive the slope measured on the counter top is 4 degrees, with the rear end lower than front. Haven't had any problems with fridge on gas or electric when getting ready to go away, but wouldn't like to sleep in the van at that angle

Mine is also 4 degrees with the rear lower, and the fridge seems to work as well. It did take ages to light the first time on gas, but has been ok since. I have slept in it at that angle, and it was slightly weird. The kitchen sink not draining fully was messy.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Bilbobaggins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Mon May 31, 2021 10:23 pm

inspiredron wrote:
Also I see that £162 does not include the import duties from Slovenia. From the tales circulating that could add around 
I think most of the PVC come with air suspension fitted as standard, my WXL certainly did and as mentioned this is an upgrade kit ,I paid no duty as bought just be for we left the European Union 👍 this available to buy in the UK so no duty is payed

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:26 am

I’m intrigued how some of you have managed to get away with only using the ramps on the very odd occasion?  I’m not fussy about the van being completely level but I have to get the ramps out at least 70% of the time.
Could it be the different type of pitches/sites we use? I like to use a lot of sites that aren’t very regimented or laid out with flat pitches and with the van only being 5.4m, often end up parking the van in some lovely spots that perhaps a bigger van wouldn’t dream of attempting!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 am

Dbvwt wrote:I’m intrigued how some of you have managed to get away with only using the ramps on the very odd occasion?  I’m not fussy about the van being completely level but I have to get the ramps out at least 70% of the time.
Could it be the different type of pitches/sites we use? I like to use a lot of sites that aren’t very regimented or laid out with flat pitches and with the van only being 5.4m, often end up parking the van in some lovely spots that perhaps a bigger van wouldn’t dream of attempting!
I think it’s almost certainly down to the type of site/pitch one uses, with a bit of personal preference thrown in for good measure.

I’m on my 4th year with this van, using a mx of club sites, small CS, private sites, hard standing and grass, and a couple of wild spots, and I’ve never used ramps once. I don’t own any!
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

v8oholic and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 am

Sally wrote:
Dbvwt wrote:I’m intrigued how some of you have managed to get away with only using the ramps on the very odd occasion?  I’m not fussy about the van being completely level but I have to get the ramps out at least 70% of the time.
I think it’s almost certainly down to the type of site/pitch one uses, with a bit of personal preference thrown in for good measure.

I’m on my 4th year with this van, using a mx of club sites, small CS, private sites, hard standing and grass, and a couple of wild spots, and I’ve never used ramps once. I don’t own any!

I like that answer because it means I might not need to buy any smile!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 pm

There is a simple, perhaps obvious solution (don't like stating the obvious) but if you park the thing on level ground it'll be level!!!! hugegrins hugegrins scratch head scratch head

Joking apart, here's a good example of parking a nose low Warwick Duo on a sloping site to get a level van, and I am fussy re level.
Bigger advantage is that with the Warwick, the best views are through the rear doors, so double whammy in this case!

Guy parked next to us, wasn't you was it?!!
Milenco Stacka Levels P_201911
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:29 pm

If I was parked next to you Ian (or any A/S) then I would have come over and said hello.
You call that a sloping pitch?? Perhaps that’s my problem, in search of the best spot on a site, my Symbol ends up in places it probably shouldn’t be smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic and Sally like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next