The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swivel seat

+9
Jamie D
Caraman
Quilter
PLOUGHLIN
Richard G
Gromit
Eltel
BobK
Mids
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swivel seat Empty Swivel seat

Post by Mids Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 am

Hi simple  question how do you swivel the drivers seat without catching the hande break.at the moment  I have to lower it .not ideal.
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Swivel seat Empty Re: Swivel seat

Post by BobK Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 am

I release the swivel catch and as I start turning (anti-clockwise) I slide the seat forward.    May not work with your van   up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mids Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:06 am

Yes .but we have a problem  it catches the handbrake on the part  of seat that seat belt clips into[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mids
Mids

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:55 am

I’m afraid it is a issue that’s a pain in the ****

On level ground I put the engine in gear after I’ve have turned off the engine, leave hand brake off until I have swivelled the seat then apply the hand brake.

If you are on wheel ramps I chock the wheels as well.

I think someone on this forum did modify the handbrake so it engaged lower down so as to not foul the seat mechanism.

This would of course make it lower but more difficult while driving.

Good luck
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:44 am

It might have been me Terry, but I didn't lower the handbrake, I angled it away from the seat a bit.

I modified mine quite easily.

Undo the top two nuts and bolts holding the handbrake assembly onto its bracket.

Insert two or three washers in between the bracket and the handbrake assembly to angle it toward the driver's door. (It doesn't need to be angled by more than a very few degrees.)

Test, and alter the thickness of the washers as necessary until the seat just clears, and you are satisfied.

It worked well for me, and made hardly any difference to the feel of the handbrake in operation.

Hope this helps.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Molly3 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard G Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Mids wrote:Hi simple  question how do you swivel the drivers seat without catching the hande break.at the moment  I have to lower it .not ideal.
Same issue on my Nuevo, I slide seat forward fully and backrest upright and swivel (i think) clockwise. Took me a while to work out but it does work. Not good design though!
Richard G
Richard G

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Richard G wrote:Same issue on my Nuevo, I slide seat forward fully and backrest upright and swivel (i think) clockwise. Took me a while to work out but it does work. Not good design though!
Difficult to point the finger though.

Peugeot designed the handbrake for a lower, non swivelling seat and it worked perfectly.

Messrs A/S (and others) want to fit a seat swivel to enhance the usability of the cab seats, and they are left with little option in how to achieve this.

Difficult to conceive of a practical and cost effective solution????
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:20 pm

Gromit wrote:
Richard G wrote:Same issue on my Nuevo, I slide seat forward fully and backrest upright and swivel (i think) clockwise. Took me a while to work out but it does work. Not good design though!
Difficult to point the finger though.

Peugeot designed the handbrake for a lower, non swivelling seat and it worked perfectly.

Messrs A/S (and others) want to fit a seat swivel to enhance the usability of the cab seats, and they are left with little option in how to achieve this.

Difficult to conceive of a practical and cost effective solution????

No, MB does it with a handbrake lever that having been pulled up to apply the brake the handle is returned to the floor to allow free swivel room.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Something new learned every day Peter!  up! smile! smile!

I imagine it's a bit of a stretch to reach it near the floor though.  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:58 pm

No further when first applying the handbrake, just returns to its normal off position.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:25 pm

they used to be called 'fly off handbrakes' (probably still are) and (along with MB) Renault has been using them on the Master for many years.
you can by retro fit items on ebay and similar...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm

bolero boy wrote:they used to be called 'fly off handbrakes' (probably still are) and (along with MB) Renault has been using them on the Master for many years.

Not a "fly off "hand brake at all. Still have to raise and push in button to release from pawl. Mechanism for a "fly off" is totally different.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
bolero boy wrote:they used to be called 'fly off handbrakes' (probably still are) and (along with MB) Renault has been using them on the Master for many years.

Not a "fly off "hand brake at all. Still have to raise and push in button to release from pawl. Mechanism for a "fly off" is totally different.
Quite correct Peter.  up!

I used "fly offs" in my (very) amateur rallying days.

To put the handbrake on you raised it and held the button in while letting go, and it stayed up.

To release it you just gave it a snatch and it "flew off". The clue is in the name!

The advantage being it was much quicker to release with a quick snatch, than having to pull up and press the button.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

Then i stand corrected.

the design i was thinking of that id seen in the Renault could 'rest' in the down position even though the handbrake was on....apparently called 'folding' handbrake..
is that how you would describe yours, Peter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Mids wrote:Hi simple  question how do you swivel the drivers seat without catching the hande break.at the moment  I have to lower it .not ideal.

I suspect your 2019 Broadway must be different to our 2014 Broadway since we have no problem swivelling the seats. It is necessary to push / pull the seats as far forward as they will go- ie towards the steering wheel- and then they swivel very smoothly with nothing to catch on. I find leaning down to release the little red locking lever under the seat is easier if done from outside but I can do it from inside and my OH, with longer arms, always does it from inside.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:46 pm

bolero boy wrote:Then i stand corrected.

the design i was thinking of that id seen in the Renault could 'rest' in the down position even though the handbrake was on....apparently called 'folding' handbrake..
is that how you would describe yours, Peter.

MB option list - BE2 - Handbrake Lever, Foldable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm

I am sure the 2019 Broadway cab is no different to my 2019 Nuevo cab.  This is what I do:

Release steering wheel column and push in.
Rotate seat anti-clockwise until the back of the seat hits the hand brake
Slide the seat forward and continue to rotate it until it hits the bed base
Slide the seat backwards and continue to rotate it into position

It's tight and the seat ends up touching the hand brake but there is no need to release the handbrake.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am

"I am sure the 2019 Broadway cab is no different to my 2019 Nuevo cab."

i would agree with this, in that the earlier photo is exactly as both my Boleros (essentially same base) worked.
i also checked my own van yesterday....slightly different format but same seat base location with similar (Aguti) cab seats...
however, i dont have a problem with the seat hitting the handbrake when fully swivelled, so i had a closer look to try and see why that might be.
then i noticed the difference....when the chair is fully swivelled, it 'moves' inwards slightly (1.5" perhaps) away from the handbrake and towards the centre of the van.
i checked the passenger seat and it did the same...
i wondered how this could be happening, although i was pleased that it was as the seat did not foul the handbrake as it turned...
closer inspection revealed a clever bit of geometry and engineering...
the 'swivel plate' was fitted slightly offset (say 3/4" or so) towards the centre of the van (as was the one on the passenger seat) meaning both seats eased slightly towards the centre as they are swivelled.
this creates just enough space for the seat to miss the handbrake, and to give more elbow room once parked up.
the fact that the seats are slightly 'closer' to each other once swivelled doesnt seem to make any difference and seems a good trade of for extra elbow room and reduced issues with the handbrake.
ive not seen this on any other van before...
i was wondering if the location of the plate can be 'user adjusted' in any way for other seats.....?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:43 am

Ingenious bit of engineering thought, Chris, I like that.   Top marks to someone.     I don't mind the swivelling as I described above but I do wish that when the passenger seat is facing into the van, I would like to be able to slide it further back as I have about a foot of spare space between the backrest and the "dashboard" (giving my age away)!!    My van is non autosleeper but ducato based.    Must have a look at the swivelling mechanism and see what can be done.  up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 am

Bob, the first photo shows the seat swivelled (looking to the front) and the way the seat has 'moved' to the left...
the second photo is from the rear of the seat (facing forward) showing the 'hole' more towards the left (central) side, so that any rotation will 'pull' the seat slightly in that direction.
good luck with any potential mod... 
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamie D Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am

Caraman wrote:I am sure the 2019 Broadway cab is no different to my 2019 Nuevo cab.  This is what I do:

Release steering wheel column and push in.
Rotate seat anti-clockwise until the back of the seat hits the hand brake
Slide the seat forward and continue to rotate it until it hits the bed base
Slide the seat backwards and continue to rotate it into position

It's tight and the seat ends up touching the hand brake but there is no need to release the handbrake.
I do the same without releasing steering column on our Neuvo. I also struggled rotating the seat in early days of ownership but have no problems now.
Jamie D
Jamie D

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo LT
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:56 pm

BobK wrote:Ingenious bit of engineering thought, Chris, I like that.   Top marks to someone.     I don't mind the swivelling as I described above but I do wish that when the passenger seat is facing into the van, I would like to be able to slide it further back as I have about a foot of spare space between the backrest and the "dashboard" (giving my age away)!!    My van is non autosleeper but ducato based.    Must have a look at the swivelling mechanism and see what can be done.  up!
Bob, these offset plate sets can obviously be bought, heres a guy showing how they work...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:44 pm

bolero boy wrote:
BobK wrote:Ingenious bit of engineering thought, Chris, I like that.   Top marks to someone.     I don't mind the swivelling as I described above but I do wish that when the passenger seat is facing into the van, I would like to be able to slide it further back as I have about a foot of spare space between the backrest and the "dashboard" (giving my age away)!!    My van is non autosleeper but ducato based.    Must have a look at the swivelling mechanism and see what can be done.  up!
Bob, these offset plate sets can obviously be bought, heres a guy showing how they work...

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Chris..Peter....thanks for interesting responses.    Watch this space winks.
BobK
BobK

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerbadge Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:36 pm

My seat doesn’t catch the hand brake.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator