The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Level (3rd Brake Light)

4 posters

Go down

High Level (3rd Brake Light) Empty High Level (3rd Brake Light)

Post by Guest Wed 20 Nov 2019 - 15:51

Hi  Can Anybody tell how to change the High Level (3rd  Brake Light ) on My 2011 Cotswold or is it a job for a Dealer
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

High Level (3rd Brake Light) Empty Re: High Level (3rd Brake Light)

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed 20 Nov 2019 - 17:16

I believe it is stuck into place with sealant, so can be eased out carefully with a palette knife or similar.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 9:23

Hi I have eased the  light away  but there is only about an inch of cable showing, do you know if the connection is under the rubber seal on lamp or inside vehicle. If inside will there be enough slack in cable to be to pull it clear so as to get at connection
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 10:48

Sorry, I haven't done it so can't advise further. A call to AS might get construction info.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 12:14

I expect there will be a spade connection in each wire to the wiring loom inside the vehicle, there should be some slack but it may have been tied down, in which case if you pull the wires you could part the spade connectors and you will not be able to access them.

If you have enough wire outside the vehicle to re-join, I would cut the wires as close to the existing light unit as I could and extend the wiring to give enough slack to connect the replacement unit.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 12:58

I had a real tussle to deal with mine.  As has been said the light is stuck to the body.  In my case it was with some blobs of sealant around what were supposed to be fixing bolts to be inserted from behind, obviously impossible for a coachbuilt.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I used a combination of putty knife and a fine wire to cut the sealant.  As you can see from the photos there was NO sealant round the rim where it would have been easy to break the seal and I had to do quite a bit of careful prising to break the heavily recessed blobs. 
As you say, the cable is very short and in my case it was held firmly by its own sealant blob which I had to carefully remove - notice the knot to stop the wire disappearing into the hole!  I don't think that there were any spade connectors - A/S probably used the crimp connectors they use elsewhere but there was no way that I could even see them, let alone retrieve them.  I made new soldered connections to the new light.  As you can see the gel coat had a broken bubble where it is not close to the matting (most of the way round that complex moulding).  When replacing the light I put a blob of Sikafex 291 around the cable, leaving plenty of slack in the recess and then a careful bead all around the perimeter where it should be!  I then held the light in place with some gaffer tape for the sealant to set overnight.  Obviously, I tested the new light at several stages before and after sealing it into place.
The old one had lost 3 of its LED's, presumably because of water penetration through bad installation - sensored1
I hope that helps.

Last edited by inspiredron on Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 14:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tidied wording)

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 13:13

Mine was held just the same as Ron's. The original had about 50% of the LED's working, with about half an inch of water sloshing about in the unit.
There was very little play in the wires, just enough to solder an extension on.
I searched online for a replacement, but although cheap, none were the correct dimensions, so I bought direct from AS, about £35.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 14:28

bikeralw wrote:Mine was held just the same as Ron's. The original had about 50% of the LED's working, with about half an inch of water sloshing about in the unit.
There was very little play in the wires, just enough to solder an extension on.
I searched online for a replacement, but although cheap, none were the correct dimensions, so I bought direct from AS, about £35.
Al.
 I, too, searched online but A/s at about £45 inc postage in my case, were about £20 cheaper than elsewhere.  I would like to run that poor installation of Alan Curry (for information - not seeking any recompense) but can't find his contact details and an email to A/S asking for it elicited no response whatsoever.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 15:05

Ron, I suggest you go via Dennis.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri 22 Nov 2019 - 16:00

Peter Brown wrote:Ron, I suggest you go via Dennis.
Thanks, Peter - will do.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Nov 2019 - 8:46

HI Everybody  thanks for info have managed now to replace light.
After easing of lamp and gently pulling cable there was enough slack to be able to cut wire and use connectors to attach new lamp . Had to buy replacement lamp from  AS at a cost of £40.74 which includes postage
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu 28 Nov 2019 - 9:26

Well done, Tugg. Glad it worked. Was your housing intact or did you have gel coat fractures that revealed gaps needing filler? I am sure that correct dealing and fitting will result in s light that lasts. Although I could have bought s new light on  eBay they were over £60 there compared with A/S £40!

Male

Back to top Go down