The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

04 Nuevo high level brake light.

2 posters

Go down

04 Nuevo high level brake light. Empty 04 Nuevo high level brake light.

Post by bikeralw Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

Learning lots form this forum, cheers. I need to replace the high level brake light on my van as it's full of water and packed up. I've managed to slightly pry it from the recess, as it appears to be fastened by sticky pads, but there is no slack whatsoever in the cable. My question is do I have to remove the rear cabinets to get at the cable and hopefully get a bit of slack. Also can anyone tell me where I can source a new light.
Al.

Last edited by bikeralw on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

04 Nuevo high level brake light. Empty Re: 04 Nuevo high level brake light.

Post by Peter Brown Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 am

Your best bet for a replacement is the AS parts department - if you quote your build number (to be found on a label in the glove box) they should post you the correct one.

Your light was glued in and the practice in the service centre circa 2006 was to break them to remove them. Whether that will give you enough slack I don't know.

I would glue the new one in with Sikaflex 291 adhesive/sealant.

If you can at all avoid it I wouldn't try and remove the cabinets as they will never fit back as well - the van is built from the inside out ie furniture assembled on the floor before the walls are attached. If you are certain of your measuring then (if still necessary) cut a small access panel in the back of the cupboard in such a manner that you can fix a cover over it when finished.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

As my van's MoT is due I finally got round to doing this job this weekend. I don't know if the high brake light is a requirement for the MoT, but it was flagged up last year and I figured if it was flagged again it might mean a fail. I obtained the light from Autosleepers very efficient, if expensive, parts department for around £40.
With lots of careful prising and levering the old light came away slightly, it was suck fast at the back with silicone. This gave me just enough room to chip away with a small craft knife at the silicone that filled the hole in the van body round the wires. After half an hour they were free enough to ease out and get access to the spade connections.
It's essential you do this bit carefully as any tugging will lead to the spade terminals coming apart and the feed wires dropping back inside the body cavity never to be seen again!
New lamp connected up with gaffer tape to help hold the terminals together for next time and fixed back into the recess with silicone. Just as an extra precaution against water ingress I ran a bead of silicone along the top and sides of the fitted light. Job done.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down