The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water ingress through external locker

5 posters

Go down

Water ingress through external locker Empty Water ingress through external locker

Post by Jaime 007 Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Good afternoon,

My wife and I own a Nuevo EK 2-berth bought new in 2010.
Last week in Wales our motorhome was lashed with rain for five hours due to Storm Gareth.
On our return I checked the external locker underneath the near side passenger seat bench.
When I opened the the locker hatch from the outside of the vehicle I noticed there was water 
resting on the black seals. On lifting the floor covering I found that the floor showed fresh water stains. Through using heaters I have brought the damp readings down to below 20.

My questions are:
1)  Have other members experienced such water ingress through the external locker and if so, what have they done?

2)  Does this problem indicate that the black seals need to be replaced? 

3) How can I ensure that the external locker hatch is closed and locked to create a tight water seal? Is there any way of tightening the locking mechanism?

Any advice and or suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Water ingress through external locker Empty Re: Water ingress through external locker

Post by Eltel Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:14 pm

What a coincidence.

Yesterday afternoon I needed to access the LHS underbed storage and guess what rain penetrated the locker and one of the duverlay was very damp.

On looking at the foam bases of the duverlay I noted the start of mold had appeared.

The foam has been replaced this afternoon by a local upholstery company.

I noted that one of the locks had been left unlocked so not a proper seal, hence the rain had penetrated the locker.

I am hoping that my problem has been solved, but I will monitor it over the coming weeks.

The seals on mine seem to be fine, I think the problem was negligence on my part or perhaps on its recent habitation check. 

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Water ingress through external locker Empty Re: Water ingress through external locker

Post by Bad Penny Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm

It always has been a problem with AS, they never cured the problem on my Broadway.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Water ingress through external locker Empty Nuevo EK water ingress thro' external locker

Post by Jaime 007 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:10 am

Hi Eltel,

Thank you for you contribution. What an incredible coincidence. Interesting to read that it may have been left "unlocked" after a habitation check. I had my gas locker swinging open when I was driving back from having a habitation check!!
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 am

Jaime007, sorry about your issue with water ingress. We had the same problem but it was fixed by AS under warranty. They replaced the locker seal and that of the other outer fixing on that wall (fridge vents, water, LPG, 230v socket). It does seem a bit odd that you have had the van for all this time and the problem occurs now. I guess, if in your position, I would want to establish exactly where the water it coming through. A liberal dusting of talc inside the van locker before hitting it from the outside with water from a low pressure hose might give you some clues to what you are dealing with.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Water ingress through external locker Empty water ingress on outside locker

Post by safariboy Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Bad Penny wrote:It always has been a problem with AS, they never cured the problem on my Broadway.
AS have cured the problem with ours.  a 2014 broadway.  The issue was that the floor of the locker deformed with all the stuff in it and the rubber in the door slipped onto the canvas on the edge.  They stiffened the floor and all was OK.
As I understand it it depends on model.  Ours was the first that they advertised this locker as waterproof.  If you look in the spec when you bought the van it may say that it is a wet locker.

Cancel this I think I have got the wrong locker!

Last edited by safariboy on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down