The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last?

+17
bobash
ajrm
gef
stoneb
pjkxpjkx
possum3
Maasai Warrior
Spospe
Peter Brown
safariboy
-mojo-
Charliefarlie
roli
Claytaa
Gromit
artheytrate
lucasg
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last? - Page 3 Empty How long will the gas last in the Bourton?

Post by lucasg Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:54 am

I raised this question some months ago and received many comments . Thanks.
I can now report on my log. It lasts about 20 days . Fridge and cooking with just a little heating.

The Gas-It dial was showing red yesterday when I went to refill.. This shows 1 light out of the 10 .. The latter indicates a full LPG tank. I presumed the red light indicated 10% left

However on filling I could only get 9 litres in.. I know there should be some capacity for gas expansion...but is it really a 20 litre tank? I can't see that the gas needs 10 litres of tank for expansion
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last? - Page 3 Empty Re: Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last?

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:40 am

Aren't they 25l volume, with 80% fill? ie 20l usable capacity?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last? - Page 3 Empty LPG tank rotated to correct position

Post by nessie Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am

Using the advice on this forum we persuaded Marquis in Preston to invest in a GasIt gauge and have had the LPG tank rotated to the correct position. There is still gas in the tank and will now use till completely empty to check if we now get nearer 20L in. A bonus with the correct rotation is that it is easier to reach the master off gas tap before using the Channel Tunnel and we can now see and read the dial gauge which is a more accurate than the LED indicator on the dashboard. Also check that they redo the underseal in the area of the tank which becomes exposed when the tank is rotated
nessie
nessie

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last? - Page 3 Empty Re: Bourton LPG Tank 20L How long will it last?

Post by safariboy Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:10 pm

We are in Spain at the moment and although we are running the heating on gas to warm the van each morning (temperature about 4deg. Last night) we are only using about 2litres a week. There are now many more filling stations in Spain and with the mylpg web site it is not difficult to find a suitable site. You do need the correct adaptors for Spain and a thick pair of leather gloves. When you unlock the hose there is no escape of liquid but when you unscrew the adaptors there is. Unlike France where any motorway filling station has lpg in Spain it is more round towns.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:33 am

The point Safariboy makes over LPG left in the hose is very valid and can apply to some pumps in this country and its wise if you are unfamiliar with a pump to wear gloves.  I will put a warning post in factsheets later
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:34 pm

If I might make my point clearer..... In all systems except the Spanish the liquid in the pipe between the tank non return valve and rhe nozzle escapes when you disconnect. Your hands are a few cm from the point of disconnection. Any liquid should have evaporated before it can reach your hand and there is little risk of getting liquid lpg on your skin. For good reasons in the new euro/Spanish connectors there is a nonreturn valve at the point o f disconnection. On a vehicle fitted with this basic connector this minimises pollution and waste. However when you use an adaptor you are holding the adaptor as you unscrew it. The escaping liquid will evaporate as before. your hands are now close to the point of release and the adaptor will cool quickly and might give you frost bite and stick to your skiln. So use thick gloves!
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Spot on Safariboy, and although I was aware of the non return valve in the adapter, I bet it would have caught me out the first time I filled in Spain. blushes

Fortunately from this point of view we don't visit Spain, although who knows in the future - and your timely warning will stick in my mind now.

Thanks

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 am

Our gas ran out a couple of weeks ago for the first time, I usually top it up when it's just above the red light, the most I ever got in then was 11 litres. Last week I put in just over 18 litres. Apart from a few times when we fill with LPG at Dover, we always fill up in France using the adapter, I don't like the sound of the new ones, they don't sound very user friendly.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:33 am

ajrm wrote:I don't like the sound of the new ones, they don't sound very user friendly.
Alarming, but I guess it's no great problem once you are aware - and thanks to Safariboy for highlighting the potential danger. It would have caught me out!  shrugg

No change is imminent in France as far as I'm aware. They have the "Cup" adapter, and their filler is much easier to use than the UK model.

It's only the Spanish adapter which is causing the concern at the moment, though it is likely (they say?) to be adopted by other countries. There's good news for us however. For a tenner we can buy an adapter without a one way valve in the centre so filling up will be exactly the same experience as with the French (and other) adapters - or filling up at home without an adapter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:10 pm

I suspect that for the reason I gave this adaptor will become standard. However if this happens vans will have the correct fitting and the whole problem will vanish.
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:57 pm

safariboy wrote:I suspect that for the reason I gave this adaptor will become standard.  However if this happens vans will have the correct fitting and the whole problem will vanish.
I think you are quite correct, but it will almost certainly turn out to be a confusing and piecemeal operation, unless governments come down hard on LPG outlets and force a deadline for converting their filler guns. This is unlikely, specially in France where the good old Gallic shrug will be the only visible result!!

It is also unlikely that older vans will be forced to convert, so (unless I am wrong - it has been known!! Whistle1 ) if there is an attempt to standardise it will create a considerable period of total chaos.

Nothing that would cause a serious problem, but irritating when it might be necessary to get out and see what type of filler gun is in use, then grovel in the bag of adapters for the right one.

Dave scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:02 pm

I don't see the point of the adapter with a non return valve becoming standard. When you disconnect the filler on a normal adapter, you get a release of gas. If you have the non return valve adapter, you get a release of gas when you disconnect the adapter!
Pointless.
If all fill points have a non removeable non return valve fitted as standard, that makes more sense.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:19 pm

ajrm wrote: If all fill points have a non removeable non return valve fitted as standard, that makes more sense.
Hi ajrm

I think that's what Safariboy means. That's how I took it anyway. smile!

As I see it, the use of an adapter without a non-return valve is far safer and preferable at the moment, since there will be no escape of gas when you remove it. Therefore no frost bitten fingers sticking to an extremely cold adapter.

As you say, eventually (one assumes scratch head ) all vans will have filler points with non-return valves permanently fixed, after which there will be no problem. It's the changeover period in countries other than Spain that will cause the hassle, when you will never know quite what type of filler gun to expect as you roll into a garage.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3