The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power?

+2
mikeyval
Pbtrickyb
6 posters

Go down

Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power? Empty Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power?

Post by Pbtrickyb Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi. Our new (to us) 2.5 litre diesel Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer base is very sluggish and I wondered if anyone knows if more power can be gained by physical or electronic methods? It is a non turbo engine. Thanks in advance. Regards Rich
Pbtrickyb
Pbtrickyb

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna

Back to top Go down

Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power? Empty Re: Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power?

Post by mikeyval Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:39 am

Sluggish?
Our 2.5 non turbo would happily sail along at 65 mph (loaded) on the motorways and would overtake many and would exceed the legal limit if pushed. As its new to you are you maybe comparing performance to that of a car? Its a big vehicle, aerodynamics? mmmm
Servicing done? Clean air filter? Overloaded?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power? Empty Re: Pug Boxer 2.5L Diesel. Can I get more power?

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am

I know very little about diesels but one of our members recently changed the fuel filter on his and was amazed by the increase in performance (Renault 20668cc). I've heard of people adjusting the injection pump but unless you know what you are doing you could make things a whole lot worse.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am

Pbtrickyb wrote:Hi. Our new (to us) 2.5 litre diesel Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer base is very sluggish and I wondered if anyone knows if more power can be gained by physical or electronic methods? It is a non turbo engine. Thanks in advance. Regards Rich

Ours is the 2.5D non turbo as well.

I was initially aghast at how sluggish it felt, down to 40mph up, what I'd thought up until then, very slight inclines.

I have a no-nonsense pal who sells old vans and his remark to me was "cane it, it won't break, it's unburstable. Just keep your foot on the floor until it wont rev any harder".

That makes a difference, and when in France on the Somme and Normandie motorways, I realised that the hills are actually quite steep so some gear changing to keep the revs up is necessary.

Don't worry about fuel consumption, ours does 25mpg regardless of whether we're tootling along the M1 on the way to the ferry at Dover from Derbyshire, or blasting it back in the dead of night up the A43 from Portsmouth.

One slight oddity - Our friends followed us on our France trip in their Landcruiser/caravan and noted that sometimes we appeared to burn up one hill and struggle up another similar one.
I wonder whether it's something to do with fuel filter/pressure, or whether the dual electric fans are absorbing that last few percent of power when they kick in.
If you force the fans to come on at idle speed the engine nearly stops as it drops even this big ole' torquey lump about 300RPM.

Take comfort in the predilection of turbo assisted engines for eating turbos, the lack of a catalyst to attract thieves, the longevity of natural aspiration and the lack of emission control gubbins to go wrong.

We'd swap ours for a turbo engine, but only if it came with the newer cab and more modern interior, otherwise I don't think that it's worth the difference to get an extra 10-20mph up the steepest hills.

We live in the Peak District by the way  winks  winks  winks
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

As suggested above, first thing would be to check whether it's had fuel and air filters changed recently.

Next question would be whether you are used to diesel vans? I had always had petrol engined vans until the last one, and it takes a while to get used to the completely different power band of a diesel - you soon learn not to change down and try to scream up in a low gear!

You don't say what year it is, but you can "chips" for most vans. On older engines this typically means fooling the engine management into over-fuelling, so there is generally a price to pay in terms of fuel consumption. Later vans can often be remapped to much better effect, but it's quite an expensive mod, generally.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbtrickyb Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks all. I've not looked at the engine yet as a pal checked the basics as he sourced it for us. It's a very low mileage 1999 model so maybe it does want a bit of working to wake it up a bit. I'll check the fuel and air filters once I find a manual! Cheers Rich
Pbtrickyb
Pbtrickyb

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Pbtrickyb wrote:once I find a manual! Cheers Rich

If you find one that's applicable and useful, do please let me know, I haven't found one worth having.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 am

meanchris wrote:
Pbtrickyb wrote:Hi. Our new (to us) 2.5 litre diesel Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer base is very sluggish and I wondered if anyone knows if more power can be gained by physical or electronic methods? It is a non turbo engine. Thanks in advance. Regards Rich

Ours is the 2.5D non turbo as well.

I was initially aghast at how sluggish it felt, down to 40mph up, what I'd thought up until then, very slight inclines.

I have a no-nonsense pal who sells old vans and his remark to me was "cane it, it won't break, it's unburstable. Just keep your foot on the floor until it wont rev any harder".

That makes a difference, and when in France on the Somme and Normandie motorways, I realised that the hills are actually quite steep so some gear changing to keep the revs up is necessary.

Don't worry about fuel consumption, ours does 25mpg regardless of whether we're tootling along the M1 on the way to the ferry at Dover from Derbyshire, or blasting it back in the dead of night up the A43 from Portsmouth.

One slight oddity - Our friends followed us on our France trip in their Landcruiser/caravan and noted that sometimes we appeared to burn up one hill and struggle up another similar one.
I wonder whether it's something to do with fuel filter/pressure, or whether the dual electric fans are absorbing that last few percent of power when they kick in.
If you force the fans to come on at idle speed the engine nearly stops as it drops even this big ole' torquey lump about 300RPM.

Take comfort in the predilection of turbo assisted engines for eating turbos, the lack of a catalyst to attract thieves, the longevity of natural aspiration and the lack of emission control gubbins to go wrong.

We'd swap ours for a turbo engine, but only if it came with the newer cab and more modern interior, otherwise I don't think that it's worth the difference to get an extra 10-20mph up the steepest hills.

We live in the Peak District by the way  winks  winks  winks
I agree with everything said above, even now when we climb aboard & set off it feels like its got a moped engine down there & very sluggish, but as soon as I'm 'out of town', the boot goes down & she starts to fly ( well sort of ) wakes up & runs loads better the harder its pushed, having said that, 60-65 (genuine GPS ) is its most comfortable.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down