The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levelling ramps

+17
grantcoghill
Norfolk_boy
Nuevo
Pete Taylor
-mojo-
Dave 418
burlingtonboaby
alanm
Celticbiker
dencol
mgm
Enn
Tommy-Darcy
Paulmold
Harper22
Dutto
orion john
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Levelling ramps - Page 2 Empty Re: Levelling ramps

Post by Pete Taylor Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Having seen someone drive over the top of his Fiammas, I have slightly modified ours in order that I can tell when I reach the point of no return. winkin!

Levelling ramps - Page 2 9050626996_b8ca032e03_o
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Super idea that Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 pm

like it may give it a try allthumbz
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Levelling ramps - Page 2 Empty Photo deleted.

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Nuevo and dencol- read this update........

I have now concluded the experiments to see what happens if one "goes over the top"! smile!

The surface was our tarmac drive; I'm not sure what would happen on soft ground.

With my alluminium extensions fitted it was possible to make the ramps tilt off the ground at the back if I drove too far- this was surprisingly far and the vertical centre-line of the wheel was just 15mm before the top of the ramp (the bottom front edge of the ramp is another 20mm further out at the front). The tyre was using the alluminium as a lever. It was still not possible to get the chocks on to their second position.

I now removed the alluminium extensions and drove slowly up; this time there was no tendency for the ramp to lift and even when I placed the centre-line of the wheel right above the top of the ramp. It was possible to get the chocks to fit on the first three positions (mission accomplished!). I actually managed to get the centre-line of the wheel slightly beyond the top of the ramp but behind the bottom front edge i.e. in that 20mm zone, this looked very precarious and the van only balanced there due to the compliance of the tyre.

Having gone this far... I edged forward, the ramps did not lift but were spat backwards as the tyre went over the front edge.

As I say this might not be whet happens on softer ground, or a loose gravel "hardstanding".

Don't try this at home folks!

My alluminium extensions will now be re-cycled, when I can think of something else to try! think_smiley_46

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Good to see the testing went Ok with nothing damaged!

I think my experience of "going over the top" (as described in another thread) started and ended rather differently because my ramps were on soft ground.

In my case the point at which the ramp was supported by the ground effectively moved further back along the ramp as the leading edge sank in, so it started to rotate forward before I could even get close to the edge, and then the leading lower corner dug in more deeply and stopped it from being "spat out the back".

I guess more development and testing would be needed, but my gut feeling is that the only fully stable solution would be a longer ramp! Needless to say, most of us don't have the space for that, though...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:58 am

Pete,

Many thanks for the update.up!

I too have had a few "improvements" that fell into the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category.wave

One that springs to mind is when I welded up a 22ft long boat in my garage and then discovered that it was two inches wider than the doors.Whistle1 :Whistle1:Luckily for all concerned (but mainly me) a quick modification to the door jambs gave just enough room to drag it out!up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:45 pm

thanks for the update and the testing
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk_boy Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Greetings from a newbie. Just moving from a caravan to an Amethyst.

Caravans have similar problems, the critical being the fridge door, and cooking on the wonk.

My DIY remedy, after 20 or so years, is a lump of wood (ex skip/tip/back of shed) about 9" wide and 2
to 2.5" thick. The length is not critical, but the longer the better.
Crazy diagram time.   ==/====

Say the length is 24".  Mark a point 12" from one end.  Draw a line across the 9" side (nice and
square).  Now the part where you remember your carpentry lessons on making "tennon joints". Full
length panel saw and a firm hold, vice or WorkMate or similar.  Cut a triangle from the marked line to
the opposite side corner.  The resulting wedge is turned upside down and glued + nailed to the flat
surface.  Result, a 24" long 4" or 5" high ramp.  Mark 1
Levelling ramps - Page 2 Mk-1--4597_zpsdac4a34e

Mark 2 has a flat safety area, so should you go a bit tooo quick there is time for your helper to
yell.
Levelling ramps - Page 2 Mk-2--4596_zps6f9d4b5d

Chocks are a good "belt & braces" idea.  Similar process, in fact easier! (try for practice) making 4 only takes two saw cuts.

Levelling ramps - Page 2 Chock--4598_zps6ce6867d

Please excuse cobwebs, but they do work, and don't cost too much.

Mike
Norfolk_boy
Norfolk_boy

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by grantcoghill Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Just thought I might mention the brilliant Truma app for iphone - if you have it and go to Tools, then levelling, then motorhome (and having already put in the wheelbase and track of your MH) you can set it on a flat surface and it will tell you how much each wheel has to be adjusted.  I have the 3 step Fiamma levelling ramps and knowing that the steps are 4, 7 and 10cm it is dead easy to do the levelling, assuming you have enough range.
grantcoghill
grantcoghill

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 pm

I never have bothered with levelling ramps, haven`t had a problem so far, providing the dinner plate doesn`t slide off the table all is fine. hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Four of the yellow plastic skid mats work wonders for making sure your levelling ramps don't sink in or cut in on softer ground.

We are on our third pair of yellow Fiamma ramps though we have only bought one set. Fiamma replace cracked ones FOC but,they do specify that they should not be used on " uneven or gravel surfaces " !! Putting the skid mats underneath means we can honestly say that they are not cracking because the surface is either uneven or gravel.

A warning to newcomers though: don' t stand too close, and certainly not behind, when your OH drives up the ramps. We have seen 2 very near misses when the block has shot out.

We watched a Belgian couple a few weeks back trying to level up a big van on gravel. After umpteen attempts to get up the block, which kept skidding back, the young lady lay down on the ground in front of the wheel and held the ramp in place. What can you do but pray ? Eventually they put a couple of bath towels on the ground under the ramps.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm

daisy mae wrote:I never have bothered with levelling ramps, haven`t had a problem so far, providing the dinner plate doesn`t slide off the table all is fine. hugegrins
My fridge has always worked, on gas and electric,
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:51 pm

I think one of the main problems some people have when trying to get onto ramps is that they will insist on reversing on when it is far easier to drive on.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Hopefully this will show how I extended out ramps to give a bit more "lift". smile! 

https://servimg.com/view/18062338/16

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:54 pm

The reason many people reverse onto ramps is so they can make a quick exit from the pitch in case of emergencies.
Bit like parking a car - reverse in so you can drive out quicker should the need arise

Thats not a bad idea Pete for extending the Fiamma Ramps as in their normal form can be just a tad on the low side.
Your mod gives the option of extra height if needed without carrying the extra bulk of the Millenco type ramps
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2