The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrading Radio Head Unit in Boxer X250

+2
dandywarhol
CC
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Upgrading Radio Head Unit in Boxer X250 - Page 2 Empty Re: Upgrading Radio Head Unit in Boxer X250

Post by CC Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:On my Nuevo it has the wood effect stuff on the dashboard fitted by A/S so this does prevent the top of the fascia adapter going in completely but I did manage to get all the locking tabs to push in by pressing hard.

Thanks Moggy....

Ours has a kind of Carbon-fiber look but to be honest I'd prefer the wood effect, never realised this was fitted by Auto-Sleepers and just thought it was fitted by Sevel at their factory as a standard finish.

Maybe I will have another look tomorrow and trim a bit off the top back edge of the fascia trim panel and see if I can get it to lock in as at the moment I can simply jiggle it and pull it out despite it being a fairly good fit, easier to get out but if the lugs locked in and secured it in I'm sure it would look a better fit.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Upgrading Radio Head Unit in Boxer X250 - Page 2 Empty Re: Upgrading Radio Head Unit in Boxer X250

Post by CC Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Forgot to mention our rear left speaker now works again since fitting the new head unit... apologies to the Auto-Sleepers service centre for suggesting they "possibly may have been responsible" when fitting our heki, it seems the speaker giving up the ghost around the same time was just a coincidence! I did take the speakers out and as Mark at the service centre stated the wires do actually run in their own channels between the ply panels and insulation a good couple of inches away from the heki so the fault must have been with the factory fitted head unit which as posted before also had the issue with the traffic announcements at full volume that I was unable to alter, so a worthwhile upgrade all round.

While I'm at it... has anyone upgraded the door speakers or can recommend the best bang per buck (without spending a fortune) I have a set of vibes which I bought for our Trident but never fitted, haven't checked the diameters but it's possible they may even fit as the current speakers are not the best and distort slightly when you get to anything over 20 on the volume (especially if you enable XPlod mode) so may just swap them sometime.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 pm

How is the unit powered?

On my previous Motorhome I fitted a Sony Unit, with remote control which was really useful, then wired it to my leisure battery. It meant the radio didn't come on with the ignition, but it was not a big stretch to turn it on and off manually. It did mean that I could listen to the radio for hours without the worry that I'd flattent the vehicle battery. Faders, to move sound between front and rear also essential as teenage daughter didn't enjoy my coice of music.... Also played MP3 discs - about 5 albums worth on one cd.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm

I've fitted a Sony head unit in mine too, and must admit that the remote control - which seems utterly pointless for most car-based applications - is an excellent accessory. First thing in the morning I can turn the radio on (and turn the volume down) without having to get out of bed.

But... for those who are not familiar with Sony car radios, the really annoying thing is the loud "plink plonk, plink plonk, plink plonk" that they all produce from the speakers every time you turn off the ignition. This is supposed to warn you that you have forgotten to remove the removable fascia (who cares on a £100 head unit?), and there is no option to turn this "feature" off!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2