The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

+4
burfy1
moggyminor1966
JDS
CC
8 posters

Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by CC Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Just wondering if any of our Nuevo II owners suffer with water ingress into the engine bay on the X250 boxer? I've heard roli talking about this elsewhere on the forum but presumed he was referring to the earlier boxer models, understand Peugeot / Fiat remedied this by incorporating a scuttle / engine cover? does anyone have experience of the water problem, is this likely to have been rectified by a recall? if not does anyone have any details on the part No for the scuttle and details on how these are fitted? also, is it like a plastic tray or something more robust?

CC

Last edited by CruizingComet on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Re: Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by JDS Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi
We have an 2009 Orian Zeta ES a variant of the Nuevo.
Under warrenty we had a cover fitted over the engine , the windscreen was sealed along the bottom edge, and the scuttle sealed at the centre join, I also had the glowplugs replaced as they showed signs of rust even though they gave us no problems.
Any vehicle you buy should have these mods allready done although they would only have been done if the owner coplaied it was not a recall.

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton ES LT
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel Empty Re: Boxer X250 Engine Bay Scuttle Panel

Post by CC Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks Dave, will check on the Nuevo we are considering buying to see if the scuttle panel has been added, otherwise roli said he would PM me some info regarding rectifying it, just wondered what was involved with fitting the scuttle panel kit that Fiat / Peugeot sell as a part for the X250, this is all new to me so just trying to get a better picture of the problem and what's involved up! Also, little concerned of the reports of jerky reversing on inclines but from what I can tell this is more likely with the 6 speed box if I'm not mistaken?

Can anyone show a photo of this scuttle panel so I know what I'm looking for, cant even picture in my head what I should be looking at?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi CC
Fitting the engine cover would take about 5 minutes four screws in existing holes, Roli's mods are a good solution.
Regarding the gearbox, again we had a new gearbox, clutch and flywheel under warrenty even though we had no problem reversing, but even the new gearbox is of a high ratio.
Reversing uphill on wet grass is a no no, but this is as much tyres as gearbox and I think would be difficult in ay vehicle.
All the mods we have had done have been by our local Peugeot Dealer Budgens of Shrewsbury, even though we use Dave Newell for servicing. They have been very good,
If looking to purchase any Sevel vehicle I would want to see proof that these mods had been carried out.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks Dave, will be making a list of things to check and ask about smile! just trying to arm ourselves with as much info beforehand! Always a big responsibility getting these things right, otherwise a very costly mistake that MrsCC wont let me forget in a hurry gettinwrong

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 am

If anyone who has had the scuttle modification done could please post a photo as I am considering a late model Nuevo and would like to check if the modification has been done.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by burfy1 Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:If anyone who has had the scuttle modification done could please post a photo as I am considering a late model Nuevo and would like to check if the modification has been done.

I have a 3.0 Ltr HDi 2007 engine . I have linked to a couple of pictures of my engine bay. Trouble is, I don't know if the mod everyone is talking about has been done or not (maybe other forum members could advise). It's 4 years old and shows some rusting around the glow plugs, but otherwise it seems pretty clean.

All the best,
Paul.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS - not too sure how you upload pictures directly to post
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks burfy1-perhaps other members can advise if the mod has been done on his vehicle and if not more pics of the mod please would be appreciated.

Also just found this link which shows the water problem!

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm

I saw that video on youtube also Moggy hence my reason for concern, not sure what the setup is but I cant imagine water coming in like that under normal conditions surely scratch head is it raining or are they using a hose pipe? the water is coming in all over the show confused0

Burfy... I'm in the same camp as you I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for or the area where its fitted? must be members on the forum who can post pics showing the cover or mod, this is quite a worrying issue which as a potential Nuevo buyer I'm taking quite seriously.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi When I bought my Exec 3yrs ago the water used to pour down the window area into the engine bay and all over the battery. I fixed a small plastic tray over the battery area and it solved the problem. I shall take a photo tomorrow and try to post it.

Andy smile!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

In an attempt to find out more about this worrying issue I came across this thread elsewhere, it shows pictures of the engine cover which looks like a worthwhile addition but it also discusses fixes for the water works under the bonnet although nothing seems to fix it completely. Wonder what effect this will have long term on electrics and longevity of the body coming into contact with repeated and copious amounts of water every time it rains?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 pm

The engine cover is available from Fiat (suppose Peugeot must also do them) part # 55212592

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JDS Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi CC
Since the scuttle was sealed and the cover has been in place I have had no problems with water, certainly no more than any other vehicle, it runs to where it should to floor.
The only problem i can see is if the vehicle would be standing for months at a time (this would apply to any vehicle).
There is no water ingress when the vehicle is moving.
I think far more is made out of it on various forums than is really necessary.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 am

Just incase anyone is interested I got in touch with Peugeot regarding the cost to supply and fit the engine cover this was the response...

Engine protector panel/fittings to supply and fit to stop water laying on the top of the engine = £175.58 inc vat !!

As far as I'm aware (as no one has ever really confirmed) these covers are only held in place with 4 screws/bolts? Perhaps if anyone with a late model boxer has had a cover fitted they could post a photo as others have requested or advise where the fixing points are located and how it's fitted please?

Our engine (see pic) shows four threaded holes on top of the engine which I presume are the fixing points that are used by Peugeot? Also, our engine bay has a water tray fitted beneath the center of the scuttle which Burfy's photo earlier in the thread doesn't show which leads me to think it's been looked at by Peugeot and was probably fitted when the scuttle panel was sealed? It just collects water and drains away through the hose, as you can see in the photo our engine has signs of rust albeit not serious looking on top of the engine so I want to fit a cover ASAP to protect if from getting any worse in the future!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Was reading somewhere that as Peugeot claim this is only cosmetic and in no way detrimental to the engine, that some dealerships were just spraying the tops of the engine with a high temperature waxoyl type finish to protect them from rust, ours does seem to have a type of silicone or oil film over over it so not sure if this has been done even?

Another concern I've had is the air intake beneath the bonnet vents, the other morning I opened the bonnet to find a pool of water lying on the base of the intake, is there a way for this to escape? presume there must be drain holes somewhere to let this water out? Otherwise where is this water going to? If it can't escape then it must be going to the matrix then possibly will end up in the footwells inside? as we have no signs of damp inside I can only presume there must be drain holes to let this water out scratch head

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Just found an article with good photos by someone who managed to sort out the water problems but only trouble it is in Italian. I have tried Google Translator but it does not translate very well. Just wondered if anyone who is conversant in Italian is able to do a translation?
Not sure how I can attach the file which is in PDF format-can anyone tell me please so I can upload it?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Thanks Dave, will check on the Nuevo we are considering buying to see if the scuttle panel has been added, otherwise roli said he would PM me some info regarding rectifying it, just wondered what was involved with fitting the scuttle panel kit that Fiat / Peugeot sell as a part for the X250, this is all new to me so just trying to get a better picture of the problem and what's involved up! Also, little concerned of the reports of jerky reversing on inclines but from what I can tell this is more likely with the 6 speed box if I'm not mistaken?

Can anyone show a photo of this scuttle panel so I know what I'm looking for, cant even picture in my head what I should be looking at?

You're right, only the later 6 speed 'box has been modified - the 5 speed reverse gear is a higher ratio.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tintent116 Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 pm

After reading much on this subject on here and on motorhome fun I have removed and cleaned the 3 standard drain holes on my 2012 Boxer and added the centre scuttle drain bought from local Peugeot garage today. I already had the engine cover. I have also added a P seal at the base of the windscreen.  I have finished off by spraying a can of ACF 50 over the whole engine, gearbox and electrics, especially inside the nearside front wing.....[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tintent116
Tintent116

Male

Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:28 pm

The recent hot sunny weather has lifted the lower windscreen rubber and corners away from the screen, the middle joint had also come apart.
I have used a couple of tubes of Granville black silicone sealant to reinstate the rubber seal, seems to have worked well, no water coming into the engine bay.Sealant can be purchased from Halfords at £4.99 a tube, the tube is only 40 grams so you dont end up wasting sealant, have plenty of wipes handy as its very messy .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:59 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:The recent hot sunny weather has lifted the lower windscreen rubber and corners away from the screen, the middle joint had also come apart.
I have used a couple of tubes of Granville black silicone sealant to reinstate the rubber seal, seems to have worked well, no water coming into the engine bay.Sealant can be purchased from Halfords at £4.99 a tube, the tube is only 40 grams so you dont end up wasting sealant, have plenty of wipes handy as its very messy .
Boaby
Heavy overnight rain hasn't come through into the engine bay via the scuttle,windscreen rubber has sealed tight .
Should be ideal for any black window seal jobs , also in transparent .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down