The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooker hob leaks water

2 posters

Go down

Cooker hob leaks water Empty Cooker hob leaks water

Post by DavidinDevon Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 am

Hi 

I purchased a new Broadway EK last week and took it for a short stay at a site, our first ever motorhome trip.

The van is supplied with a Thetford K1520 cooker, which worked fine.

However, when we were boiling water, some spilled over and flowed to the back corner of the hob where it disappeared under the stainless steel wall and down the back of the cooker.  This tripped the 13A supply, so there must be some cabling underneath.

Is it normal for the hob not to hold spilled water?  (It wasn't a lot, maybe 25ml).  Can it just flow out of gaps between the wall and the base?

Any experiences or advice on this would be very welcome!

David
DavidinDevon
DavidinDevon
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Cooker hob leaks water Empty Re: Cooker hob leaks water

Post by Roopert Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:52 am

It's a difficult one for A/S to address, partly because it's hard for them to anticipate what sort of slope the user might be parked on and in what direction, and partly because most hobs are a compromise, in that they are as shallow as possible to reduce the amount of space taken underneath. This reduces the capacity that the tray has to hold spilled water.

I suspect that most converters take the same approach - they build on the basis that any spillage will be quickly mopped up by the user. I've just checked the hob installation on my non-A/S conversion, and there is no sealing around to hob at all - and the same is true for our Trooper.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Cooker hob leaks water Empty Re: Cooker hob leaks water

Post by DavidinDevon Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:19 am

Roopert, many thanks for the advice.    

Buy the way, I had no chance of mopping up:  it just flowed straight out.  Maybe only using the front burners is to be recommended.  

Given the risk of spillage at the back, I have to question the position of the wiring or it's lack of insulation.  

We were lucky really, water only shorts the power.  A pan of milk would also have left a real mess down the back, which would be pretty hard to clean up!
DavidinDevon
DavidinDevon
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down