The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To anyone living on or near a main road

+5
groundhog
Mike187
modelman
rogerblack
Gromit
9 posters

Go down

To anyone living on or near a main road Empty To anyone living on or near a main road

Post by Gromit Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Is it me, or has the traffic got a lot faster since the lockdown?

We're well inside the 30 limit, but some idiots are belting past doing at least 60mph - some of the motorbikes even faster.

We're used to most vehicles doing about 40mph, which is not too bad, but recently there have been a lot of really stupid speed merchants.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

To anyone living on or near a main road Empty Re: To anyone living on or near a main road

Post by rogerblack Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:22 pm

Police have set up their speed camera van in our village a couple of times since the lockdown and have also been Tweeting about the dangers of speeding even when there is less traffic and fewer pedestrians about.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

To anyone living on or near a main road Empty Re: To anyone living on or near a main road

Post by modelman Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:40 pm

We have the main A628 at the back, been here 36 years & AWAYS said how nice it would be to sit in the back garden & not hear the traffic, well at the moment we can, its absolutely lovely!!

Yeh, OK a just a little,but difference is amazing, something good has actually happened due to this crisis. 
We haven't noticed any speedsters though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm

I would agree, our Avenue is a 20 limit, both on there and nearby 30 limit roads speeds seem to have increased.

Or is it that the pace of life has slowed down?

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:00 pm

It isn't you it is a fact Gromit!

For my sins I volunteer with Devon and Cornwall police and we have installed repeaters at various locations, the smiley face type, the results are analysed and used for traffic management. Levels as you expect are hugely down, percentage exceeding the limit well up! Fastest recorded 82 in a 30 limit late one evening!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm

It’s bad enough cars speeding (which I had also noticed more frequently over the past couple of weeks).

As a keen cyclist I probably cycle about 50/50 on roads compared to off road.
What is personally scary are the juggernauts that seem to now thunder past at daft speeds compared to before, even on 30mph roads. 
It’s scared me enough on a couple of occasions that I now generally stay off the main roads even though they are much quieter.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:54 pm

Unfortunately we have a Rat run that runs past our bungalow ,since the so called lock down, young lads are speeding through our estate well over the speed limit. 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:08 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 pm

We do the same walk most days. The start is about 400 yards on a B road, with a 60 mph limit, before we turn down a farm drive. There are far fewer cars and lorries than usual and I don't think speeds are any different. What I have noticed is that vehicles seem to be giving us a much wider berth than they usually do - far more are going to the opposite side of the road for example. Observing social distancing perhaps!?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Peter, that is great and I hope it continues, unfortunately that has not happened around here.
Strangely, while doing my daily exercise and occasional essential shopping everyone has complied pretty much 100%.
Why that has not translated to the roads I can’t explain shrugg
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:04 pm

pstallwood wrote:We do the same walk most days. The start is about 400 yards on a B road, with a 60 mph limit, before we turn down a farm drive. There are far fewer cars and lorries than usual and I don't think speeds are any different. What I have noticed is that vehicles seem to be giving us a much wider berth than they usually do - far more are going to the opposite side of the road for example. Observing social distancing perhaps!?

We have just been out in the car for the first time in over 2 weeks to go to the bigger supermarket in the next town, as some stuff just hasn't been available in our local village shops. We went on the back roads and passed several solo and duo cyclists plus several pedestrian in singles, twos and threes. As an occasional cyclist and pedestrian myself, I always slow down and give a fairly wide berth on these country roads where there are no pavements, a slow approach often gives pedestrians time to step up onto the verge as well.  I must admit today, maybe being conscious of social distancing, I slowed down even more than usual and crossed right over to the other side of the road since there was never any oncoming cars. Apart from one instance where there was a couple on one side of the road having a blether with a lady on the other side, they were obviously keeping a good distance between themselves so I slowly and gingerly passed straddling the middle white line. 

All of the cyclists and pedestrians exchanged a cheery appreciative wave with us, although this is normal practice around here anyway.

Luckily there are also several long, straight stretches with clear visibility up to a mile ahead and open fields either side, where I was safely able to open her up to sixty, still within the limit, to get the engine up to temperature.  Even so, my average speed for the trip came up as only 23mph.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down