The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome

+4
CC
roli
dogseal
Ivory55
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Empty Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome

Post by Ivory55 Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 pm

We have been thinking about having underfloor LPG tanks to free up the space in the gas tank locker so that we can put a small suitcase generator into that space if it will fit.

We spoke to a lady on a stall at the Peterborough Motorhome Show but cannot remember the name of the company she worked for that supply the horizontal tanks! Does anyone know who they were so that we can contact them again please as the lady wasn't able to tell us fitting costs. We have tried to find them using Google but with no success.

Many thanks
Colyn and Jill
Ivory55
Ivory55

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

Back to top Go down

Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Empty Re: Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome

Post by dogseal Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Ivory55 wrote:We have been thinking about having underfloor LPG tanks to free up the space in the gas tank locker so that we can put a small suitcase generator into that space if it will fit.

We spoke to a lady on a stall at the Peterborough Motorhome Show but cannot remember the name of the company she worked for that supply the horizontal tanks! Does anyone know who they were so that we can contact them again please as the lady wasn't able to tell us fitting costs. We have tried to find them using Google but with no success.

Many thanks
Colyn and Jill

Hi,
Could be this company..

http://www.gasit.co.uk/

Good luck with your conversion, they are near Caernarfon & they are very helpfull over the phone.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 am

I would recommend them having bought from them, they also trade as FES Autogas and have quite a bit of experience coupled with a good range of tanks and refillable cylinders and fittings
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivory55 Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm

hi thanks to you both. we looked at the site it looked like they only supply so will look to find a local fitter to us thanks again colyn and jill
Ivory55
Ivory55

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Colyn if you don't have any contacts locally you could always give Mike at M&G Leisure a bell, he is based in Rackheath but offers a mobile service (mention our forum if you do)
I've used him in the past and found him quite helpful. http://www.mandgleisure.co.uk/

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sat May 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Well I too want to utilise my gas-locker for storing the 'junk' so today I spent several hours 'underneith' mine, made up various bracketry & fitted a 20l 'Gas-it' tank, fill point & hoses, bulkhead regulator & hose, then plucked up courage to drill out a 70mm hole in the grp side panel to fit the fill point assembly!!

Just need to connect up the LED level gauge inside somewhere, then pluck up more courage to go round the corner & have the first-'fill'. A bit nervous about that, so if you hear a 'uge' bang & a mushroom cloud over Yorkshire, then I f censored! d up hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivory55 Sat May 05, 2012 9:55 pm

CC thanks very much for your reply and I will certainly get in touch with Mike as the nearest one I found was in Newark. I'll let you know how I get on. up!

Modelman, you must have a very understanding partner, mine won't let me near Ivory with a drill! rolleyes
Ivory55
Ivory55

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun May 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Well I bit the bullet & went to the nearby filling station & put £20.00 worth of autogas, hooked her up, pressed the button, 1 litre later, i'm peering underneith, all seemed well so I continued!!

Shot back home & crawled under to inspect, sprayed everything with leak-detector, all good, gingerly opened up the outlet to the regulator, again, no leaks, so inside I opened all the valves & fired up the cooker, heating then the fridge, all perfik!!

Silly thing is, the system has to be filled & pressurised BEFORE you can check for leaks, I found that a bit scary, especially as I was away from home & at the filling station!!

I mounted the contents gauge to the wardrobe wall, all wiring hidden behind the panelling, all in all, rather pleasedwith myself & have at last an outside locker for 'stuff' hugegrins
Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome P1050762

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

modelman wrote:

Well I bit the bullet & went to the nearby filling station & put £20.00 worth of autogas, hooked her up, pressed the button, 1 litre later, i'm peering underneith, all seemed well so I continued!!

Shot back home & crawled under to inspect, sprayed everything with leak-detector, all good, gingerly opened up the outlet to the regulator, again, no leaks, so inside I opened all the valves & fired up the cooker, heating then the fridge, all perfik!!

Silly thing is, the system has to be filled & pressurised BEFORE you can check for leaks, I found that a bit scary, especially as I was away from home & at the filling station!!

I mounted the contents gauge to the wardrobe wall, all wiring hidden behind the panelling, all in all, rather pleasedwith myself & have at last an outside locker for 'stuff' hugegrins
Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome P1050762

Well done Modelman! Can you put some pictures up of the location of the tank?

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Had to wait until it stopped raining!!
The tank is fitted in the void behind the fresh-water tank, just in front of the rear axle, I waisted a day fitting it in the larger void above the axle, but then
realised that the suspension travel would allow the brake-bias assembly to whack it, so plan 2 came into play hugegrins
Its a tight fit, but all went in ok, I mounted the new regulator above & to the end onto the chassis member, I might yet cobble up an alloy 'sump-guard type
plate to cover it all, dosn't really need it as its all well out of the way.Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Gas3
Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Gas2
Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Gas1
Fill point mounted into r/side lower grp skirt.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Tue May 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Cheers for the pics, Its given me a few ideas for fitting mine. The only place for mine is at the back, at the side of the spare wheel cradle.

Nice neat installation Modelman, well done!

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi to all,
Finally got the tank fitted today, just got the plumbing & wiring to sort out next week.
The first job this week was to reduce the width of the spare wheel cradle by 2 1/2'' to give enough clearance for the tank itself, the tank fits longitudinally between the nearside leaf spring & the cradle. I cut & rewelded the cradle up ..Still plenty of room to slide the spare wheel into the cradle.
I had to weld another lug onto the stako tank frame to make it bolt up solid to the chassis & make a few other brackets up, If anyone is interested I'll put some pics on.
I've just got to add that the staff at FES Autogas were very helpfull when I eventually got to visit their premises last week, They sorted out all the kit I needed & answered all my questions.

Hopefully next week I can finally do away with the Dick Turpin calor bottles & all the hassle that goes with them.

Tim

dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri May 11, 2012 7:24 am

Like you Tim, I collected my gear and they couldnt have been more helpful. Had a query last week over a posssible purchase and emailed them within minutes Warren had replied.
For those of you with gas tanks/systems installed at Auto Sleepers its very probable that they are Gas It tanks.
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri May 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Asked Auto Sleeper about fitting a gas tank to my Lancashire, but they said it couldn't be done, however, went to another firm and they said yes but quoted me £900.00 but it could be dearer depending on the pipe run, I declined their generous offer. lol
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi to all,
Usefull forum here for users of Gasit equipment.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/forum/index.php

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Murph has a 6kg refillable cylinder with space for another in his Lancashire and the cost was no where near what you have been quoted. (there may even be photos on this forum if you search if not sure Brian will post a photo)
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue May 15, 2012 10:17 am

Hi,
I had two gas lows fitted from new total cost fitted with auto changeover valve and remote filer was about £300.00, but as there is little wet storage, i thought about an underfloor tank and was quoted £900.00 a little to expensive for me.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm

breakaleg wrote:Hi,
I had two gas lows fitted from new total cost fitted with auto changeover valve and remote filer was about £300.00, but as there is little wet storage, i thought about an underfloor tank and was quoted £900.00 a little to expensive for me.
Pete

Thats why I chose to 'fit it myself', just over £330 is acceptable, £900.00?? No way Jose hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi to all,
Finally got the gasit system all installed, plumbed in & wired up today. Filled the tank half full at the local lpg garage ( 8 litres = just over £7.00 ) Everything works fine, one joint had to be resealed as it had a slight leak which was shown up by the leak detector spray.

I decided to fit the filler nozzle under the rear bumper rather than drill through the bodywork, I made up an ally bracket for the filler which is bolted to the inside edge of the bumper..It looks neat & the system can be gassed up easily. I had to re-locate the nearside rear step bracket to fit the original rear step back on so the van looks as good as Autosleepers intended.

Very happy with the result.

Tim

dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 am

Well done that man, & fellow 'gasser', now its your turn, any chance of some pics??

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm

modelman wrote:

Well done that man, & fellow 'gasser', now its your turn, any chance of some pics??

Hi modelman, heres a few pics.

https://servimg.com/view/16452062/30

https://servimg.com/view/16452062/33

https://servimg.com/view/16452062/29

Tried the instalation out this weekend, very happy with it...now for a solar panel!

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Great job there Tim, is it the 20l tank like mine?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Mon May 21, 2012 9:37 pm

modelman wrote:

Great job there Tim, is it the 20l tank like mine?

Yes, no room under my van for anything bigger.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Underfloor LPG tanks for motorhome Empty Update on the gas-it conversion.

Post by dogseal Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi to all,
Had the LPG kit fitted for over a year, no problems with it until now. The other half said she could smell gas in the cupboard that the gas regulator is in, which is the cupboard that the gas bottles used to live in..turned out to be an 'O' ring that had perished on the inlet to the regulator. This meant turning the gas supply off at the tank. The problem was removing the ally cover on the Gas-it tank to get to the valve..the bolt that holds the cover on was seized almost solid. Eventually removed it  but had to break the plastic moulded handgrip to get it off. Cleaned everything up, soaked everything in wd40 & coppaslipped the bolt threads...Job done. 
Just a warning to anyone else who uses Gas-it equipment.

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetheDales Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 am

Hi, it seems as though more vans are having gas tanks fitted, could anyone please tell me if they are having problems with the gauge. We have a Kingham and have had the tank levelled after having issues with the gauge. We keep topping the gas up as the green light is on less than quarter and we have used the gas for about 3 hours max. Filled it up again end of July and it took 10 litres which is about half. Used the gas for 2 hours on and off a couple of weeks ago and the gauge is showing quarter full again. When we do fill up the gauge is showing full. Have checked all the joints under the van and just wondered if anyone else is having same problems. When we had a 6kg bottle with the previous motorhome it lasted over two years.
LovetheDales
LovetheDales

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next