The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

underfloor lpg tank cover

+4
DavidT
TravelKat
artheytrate
dbroada
8 posters

Go down

underfloor lpg tank cover Empty underfloor lpg tank cover

Post by dbroada Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:15 pm

We are soon to use the channel tunnel in our Nuevo. This has the underfloor LPG tank. I know sometimes the tunnel checkers are happy seeing the taps in the cupboard but sometimes they want the tank isolated. Today I thought I would check how to isolate the tank if I had to so I checked underneath. I found the lever that released the cover and could see the valve BUT how does the cover go back on?

Is it just a matter of practice or is there a trick I haven't yet found? I did manage to do it but I don't want to miss my train next time I try.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

underfloor lpg tank cover Empty Re: underfloor lpg tank cover

Post by artheytrate Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 am

You don't have to remove the cover as there is a small isolation valve with a yellow lever on the copper inlet pipe work before the pipe work enters the tank.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:51 am

Thanks, I'll have a look for that tomorrow.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelKat Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 am

Since getting our Winchcombe, so far we've travelled out of the UK twice and out from France once (currently in France) and not once have we been asked to turn off the lever at the tank itself.  In fact, on both occasions in the UK the official didn't even come inside to check the taps were off inside either, just took our word for it!  On the French side coming back in July the chap just stood at the hab door and looked across to where OH showed him the inside taps were off.  The tank itself has never even been mentioned.

Of course all that doesn't mean we won't be asked about the tank in the future, but that's been our experience so far FWIW.
TravelKat

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:33 am

Likewise I have used the tunnel many times without more than a verbal check, but I have been asked for a visible check twice including last year which was only possible after emptying more stuff than I knew we had.

I didn't want to be still reading the manual watching the train disappear in to the tunnel. Far better to make it look like I know where I would have turned it off.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelKat Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 am

Totally agree; TBH we were very surprised they didn't even look at the inside taps. Better be prepared than missing the boat (or train!).

Have a good trip.
TravelKat

Female

Member Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 am

The most annoying thing about last year was that the gas bottle had run out the previous evening and wasn't even connected.

I am sure once the inspector realises that he will have to get on the floor to check he will lose interest and will be happy to check the valves in the cupboard.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

artheytrate wrote:You don't have to remove the cover as there is a small isolation valve with a yellow lever on the copper inlet pipe work before the pipe work enters the tank.

John.
mmm, I can't find the lever. The pipework exits the tank and then goes through two devices before entering the van. The first one, looking like I would expect a valve to look has a sheet metal cover over it but still no sign of a lever.

How small and how yellow is this lever?

I would post a photo but the internet is SOOOO SLOOOOW today. It obviously knows we're in a hurry.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:01 pm

This is similar to the one fitted to my Warwick Duo. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The yellow tap is on when in line with the pipe and off when at 90 degrees.

Last edited by DavidT on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:15 pm

thank you, another search in a couple of minutes. I definitely have the black thing that looks like a tyre valve cap but couldn't find a lever.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Thank you but mine looks much more like this. I'm not sure about the yellow button. I suspect that pops in the event of an accident rather than a usable turn off point.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lets hope the chunnel people aren't too fussy tonight. The taps are already off and will remain that way until we settle for sleep somewhere in France tonight.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:59 pm

For those who haven't seen it, this is what I had fitted.

Dead easy now, and apart from being safe in the tunnel it means neither my (annoyingly) automatic fridge or heater will come on accidentally and use up the gas - - as the fridge did on the front drive for a whole week shortly after getting the van, and not realising just how "automatic" it was!! blushes  oh_blast!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Dave, yes I have seen your photo recently and am considering doing that too, especially as the newer Nuevo doesn't appear to have the yellow tap but its a bit late to get one fitted today. Our train leaves in under 5 hours and we haven't filled up the van yet.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Have a great holiday Dave.

If it's hissing down at Folkestone (as it is here) the check-in youth won't want to crawl underneath, so you should be OK.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:46 pm

I wonder if the yellow tap adjacent to my regulator is not fitted to the later regs hence you can't find it? Is that the new type the one with the G switch fitted?
Out of interest we have had the yellow shut off valve by the reg checked twice pre Chunnel boarding. Perhaps I don't look sufficiently trustworthy hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 pm

last time i looked under my Cotswold , I thought I saw a conventional regulator with the on off tap. Truma type I think but cant be sure.
Thought there would have to be a regulator after the underslung tank. There is no regulator in the tank control box on the side of the tank. This houses the automatic shut off etc and the remote fill sensor so a regulator is needed.
chudders
chudders

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 pm

On our 2015 van, this is what I see when lying on my back on ground, looking inside the offside skirt: near driver's seat is the LPG tank; pipe emerges and runs into a metal cover which conceals the main brass screw valve (metal cover is removable after its screw is undone.) Pipe emerges and runs further aft a few inches to a regulator. It's there that the yellow, plastic triangular top-level is to be found. I seem to recall it lies from skirt inwards.

Gromit's mod obviates the need to use that yellow tap, and thus the need to lie on your back in a puddle!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:35 am

Gromit wrote:Have a great holiday Dave.

If it's hissing down at Folkestone (as it is here) the check-in youth won't want to crawl underneath, so you should be OK.
It wasn't and he did.

Third time I've had the full check. At least I knew how to do it and by the time I turned it back on I knew how to put the cover on reasonably quickly.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:37 am

Jaytee wrote:I wonder if the yellow tap adjacent to my regulator is not fitted to the later regs hence you can't find it? Is that the new type the one with the G switch fitted?
Out of interest we have had the yellow shut off valve by the reg checked twice pre Chunnel boarding. Perhaps I don't look sufficiently trustworthy hugegrins
I think we have lost the tap and gained the inertia switch. I'm beginning to think I don't look trustworthy either.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:52 am

Bad luck Dave. It's a mucky, pain-in-the-backside job though isn't it, even if you are not in a muddy field!! (I bet the French Inspecteur on the other side didn't volunteer to turn the gas back on for you!)  rolleyes

My suggestion (with hindsight) would be to install a tap like mine yourself - assuming you are reasonably handy. It would be far cheaper, and since you must use compression fittings on a motorhome there's no need for soldering or anything else complicated.

You can bend the pipe by hand, but a proper bender costs only about a tenner and would make the job much easier. There are others to choose from, and most are quite cheap.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then get a qualified gas fitter to check your job for integrity, which would probably cost no more than a bottle of alcoholic beverage!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:57 am

It wasn't too bad - this time. As always the hardest part was standing up again after turning the valve.

When I was in Germany a number of small jobs could get done by the army garage. The currency of choice was the "yellow handbag". A 6 pack of beer from the NAAFI.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:11 am

dbroada wrote:It wasn't too bad - this time. As always the hardest part was standing up again after turning the valve.

When I was in Germany a number of small jobs could get done by the army garage. The currency of choice was the "yellow handbag". A 6 pack of beer from the NAAFI.
Wait 'till you get to my age young man!!  uncertain

Before I had my knee "done" I couldn't get up again without something to climb up. (It did enlighten me as to why some old folk carry a sturdy walking stick which they don't appear to need.)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down