The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spare Wheels....

4 posters

Go down

Spare Wheels.... Empty Spare Wheels....

Post by AndyLouch Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Just had a rather annoying episode with our Winchcombe's spare.... Whilst driving across Germany's least populous state ([size=15]Baden Württemberg ) we noted the rear offside was running flat. After having a go at re-inflating with my useful little electric compressor (we were on hook-up at a site in Kirchberg by now!) I realised that the valve was leaking. Not fancying trying to put the spare on myself, I called 'The Cavalry' (those nice folks at Britannia Rescue, European recovery) and within an hour a mechanic arrived. However, he didn't have a trolley jack with him and despite a valiant effort he couldn't raise the van enough to get the wheel off - I checked for tips on how to do this on this forum! His advice was to try to get some air into the tyre (we confirmed it was a leaking valve) and get it sorted in the small village nearby. (I can heartlility recommend Kramer Mazda in Kirchberg!). The 2 young fit mechanics go the wheel off without a problem (releasing the spare from its underbody cage was not as easy!) and when they offered up the spare found that the bolts for the wheel were too long for the bog-standard Sprinter wheel rather than the shiny alloys which are fitter. In the end, they managed to replace the valve and we're back on our way. [/size][size=15]However, the lesson learned is to make sure you have a spare set of wheel studs of shorter length to fit a Sprinter steel spare or the latter is pretty useless. I think I will write to A/S about this when I get home! Cheers, Andy[/size]
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Spare Wheels.... Empty Re: Spare Wheels....

Post by Cymro Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Glad you're (otherwise) enjoying the trip.

My Peugeot came with a bag containing steel studs suitable for the steel spare. Are you sure that your Merc didn't have them, possibly stored with the gubbins and hanging plate for changing the wheel?

Glad all's sorted.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 am

Hello Cymro, thanks for reply. Have had a check in all the places I expect they might be; the jack was still wrapped in the original plastic bag! and will have another search later. As you say, I was surprised at this potential omission since without the studs the spare is useless!
Great trip otherwise.
Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am

I'm afraid I can't help further, Andy, because I am not familiar with the details of the Merc.

For what it's worth, the necessary studs for the steel spare wheel on the Peugeot are contained in a felt bag which, if I recall correctly (but it's too wet outside to check!) also stores the adapter plate needed to hang the alloy (flat tyre) wheel in place of the steel spare. That's stored under the front passenger seat.

I hope someone who knows a 2013 Winchcombe can give you details. But I'm pretty certain that the van would have come with the steel studs.

Cymro

Last edited by Cymro on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:38 am

Cymro wrote:I'm afraid I can't help further, Andy, because I am not familiar with the details of the Merc.

For what it's worth, the necessary studs for the steel spare wheel on the Peugeot are contained in a felt bag which, if I recall correctly (but it's too wet outside to check!) also stores the adapter plate needed to hang the alloy (flat tyre) wheel in place of the steel spare. That's stored under the front passenger seat.

I hope someone who knows a 2013 Winchcombe can give you details. But I'm pretty certain that the van would have come with the steel studs.

Cymro
I think you will find that you only have 3 studs in the felt bag and that they are for holding the alloy wheel in the carrier - but I have never tried!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am

You're correct, Ron: I should have braved the rain to check! Sorry to have misled you, Andy.

So I assume that on the Peugeot, we use the same nits to secure the spare in place of a punctured alloy; and use the additional bolts and plate (from the felt bag) whereby to hang the punctured alloy until it can be repaired and repositioned. (In reality, no way: wait to be rescued.)

So to answer the first post, it would appear that the studs for the Peugeot ally fit the Peuegot steel spare.  But fortunately I can't confirm that from personal experience ... yet.  From Andy's post, that's not so for a Merc.

Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:24 am

Hello all,, thanks for replies. When I contacted A/S they suggested a bag with 6 spare studs should have been delivered with the van....we bought 3 years ago and cannot recall ever seeing these! Anyway, have now bought 6 off steel spares although I hope nvever to need them!
As an aside, since the van weighs nearly 4000kg the bottle jack is not really up to the job so would suggest if you get a flat its a call out and you need to stress that recovery has a highlift trolley jack on board!
Best wishes, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 am

That is interesting our Worcester came with a box containing six wheel nuts, maybe another cost cutting exercise on later models?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down