The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway FB

+22
kaspian
Dennis Holden
ajrm
Libraryman1
Paramedic
harrysp
matts vw
Peter Brown
Sunbeampizza
Askit
inspiredron
Dare-devil-dennis
groundhog
Milvus
big'nuf
Gromit
jaffa
rgermain
Paulmold
burlingtonboaby
Eltel
Wightman
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Broadway FB Empty Broadway FB

Post by Wightman Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi All

Well it's traded-in and gone and thank goodness

The so called great build quality of Auto Sleepers is a right load of "tosh"

AS admit there's a problem with the side panel jointing tape - but will only sort if under guarantee plus the plastic strips on ceiling keep falling off

Then if you are not careful when opening the roof blinds and the net part flies back it cracks/breaks the runners

The gas tank doesn't take the full 20 litre's due to AS not fitting at the right angle - we've only ever got 17 litre's even when totally empty

The solar not being able to keep batteries charged when not used in winter

Even when the rear steadies are down the thing still bounces around when moving around inside

The list/gripes could go on but I think I'll leave it there - just to say would not entertain another AS I'm sorry to say

Would like to sincerely thank each and every member on here for all the advice and help rendered to overcome problems encountered 

Very many thanks

Kind Regards to all
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Pilote P740C Sensati
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Broadway FB Empty Re: Broadway FB

Post by Eltel Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 pm

As long as you don’t think other quality manufacturers motorhomes are not without there issues.

I had both a Bustner & Knaus before my AS and they too had there issues.

I hope you find a suitable motorhome.

Eltel
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Eltel wrote:As long as you don’t think other quality manufacturers motorhomes are not without there issues.

I had both a Bustner & Knaus before my AS and they too had there issues.

I hope you find a suitable motorhome.

Eltel
Hi Eltel

Many thanks for your reply/advice

I'm sure all makes have their problems but I just didn't think AS were so bad and I think the final straw came when the report about the joining tapes was a known problem to them but could only be sorted if u/g!!!? How many of the other problems do they know about but are not prepared to address? Like with the battery/ies and solar not being sufficient to last the winter if not on "hook-up" as I always left the heater on tick-over to prevent damage through freezing - and I live in a fairly warm part of the country where we see very little if any snow/severe freezing!!

Best wishes
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I take it you weren't very impressed with your Broadway?
Good luck with your van(if you have one)
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Don't suppose you'd like to divulge which dealer you've dumped it on, so we can avoid it?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Maybe you did not like the van!. Some of your comments need explaining, the gas tank as I understand it from previous posts has to have 20% for expansion of gas, therefore 17 lt. is about right. Also you mention the steadies, did you use wooden load spreader boards, was it on grass? I only ask as a former caravan owner you will get movement under certain conditions.

Solar panel in winter, well what size panel? mine is a 120w and you are asking a lot for it to cope under our winter clouds, I have to charge mine once a week in winter by EHU, but this time of year it works really well under it's own steam.

While I have not been without problems, although minor, I think you will find a lot worse makes on the market.

Hope you get a new van, maybe you found the Broadway did not fit your requirements, I would find it a bit on the large side.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:15 am

One of the first casualties of recession is quality control. I am staggered how many tale of woe I read about, concerning motorhomes built after 2008. I'm so glad now that I couldn't afford a shiny new van when I bought my 14 year old Nuevo, sure, I've had to get a bit of welding done, and have work on my truma heating, but they add up to circa £750, and she's good to go. I feel for folks caught up in this, I really do.
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 am

I have to agree with Richard.

Most of the problems Wightman listed are either fairly trivial (albeit irritating), not the fault of A/S or very easily fixed.

And as Eltel suggested, the idea that other makes must be better, specially if they are German, is a myth! It would be a miracle if things didn't go wrong on such a complicated construction, assembled by fallible humans rather than robots, and bounced over potholes deep enough to bury a dead donkey!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by big'nuf Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Wightman....I concur with that.
Two Autosleepers, both with their problems but more so the Mercedes based Stanton.
Moved onto motorhome number 9, the Pilote....beautiful van, well put together...no problems so far.
big'nuf
big'nuf

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton and Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2013/201

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Purely for interest Biggie, I had a quick look at the Pilote owners' forum.

It seems you're one of the lucky ones, as there's no shortage of moans and problems on there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
No doubt the same would be true for any make of van, but at least it's not too far back to the Autosleepers factory!!  Whistle1 snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Milvus Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm

We’ve had a few teething problems with our own van since new, but they haven’t for us reached a point where we are anywhere near parting with our AS. Everyone has different problems, and everyone has a tipping point for the problems that present. For Wightman, it seems it’s been too much and breached the tipping no point, which is fair enough. Good luck in your next selection, hope you find what you are looking for.

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Gromit wrote:Purely for interest Biggie, I had a quick look at the Pilote owners' forum.

It seems you're one of the lucky ones, as there's no shortage of moans and problems on there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
No doubt the same would be true for any make of van, but at least it's not too far back to the Autosleepers factory!!  Whistle1 snigger

I must agree that it is an advantage to have the Autosleepers factory almost in the middle of the Country, if you have to return for any work at any time.

I have often read of trips abroad to return to the factory  and in my case having a Peugeot based van should be an advantage if needed when in France when it comes to repairs. Fingers crossed no issues todate in that department. allthumbz
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Seriously.... that list of problems makes the quality of Autosleepers a load of tosh.... scratch head

Hope you find what you are looking for Wightman.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 pm

(7Hi All

AS admit there's a problem with the side panel jointing tape - but will only sort if under guarantee plus the plastic strips on ceiling keep falling off.  

IM SURE IT COULD HAVE BEEN CORRECTED 

Then if you are not careful when opening the roof blinds and the net part flies back it cracks/breaks the runners

THEN BE MORE CAREFULL, ITS THE SAME ON ALL MOTORHOMES 

The gas tank doesn't take the full 20 litre's due to AS not fitting at the right angle - we've only ever got 17 litre's even when totally empty

20L LESS ABOUT 20% THAT WOULD BE 17 Litres 

SOLAR PANEL - YES A LARGER ONE WOULD BE BETTER SO I WOULD HAVE FITTED A LARGER SOLAR IF YOU TO HELP KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED IN THE WINTER

I THINK AUTOSLEEPERS WOULD HAVE SPECIFIED A 80W FOR USE IN THE MOTORHOME NOT WINTER STORAGE

Even when the rear steadies are down the thing still bounces around when moving around inside

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MINE WITH FITTED CORNER STEADIES AS LONG AS INUSE CORNER STEADIES AS THEY AFE DESIGED TO BE USED WITH

AUTOSLEEPERS ARE ONE OF THE FEW MOTORHOME MANUFACTURES THAT ACYUALY FIT CORNERS STEADIES 

The list/gripes could go on but I think I'll leave it there - just to say would not entertain another AS I'm sorry to say

I WISH YOU WELL IN THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT MOTORHOME 

Would like to sincerely thank each and every member on here for all the advice and help rendered to overcome problems encountered
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm

+1
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 am

So sorry you feel as you do about your A-S motorhome. All your points and the counterpoints made are quite valid, but, of course none of that will make you feel better about your Broadway.

My 2017 Stanton could have a list just as long as yours, but, for me, I find the learning experience useful, and sometimes a bit irritating. I have made improvements along the way and have learned a great deal in the process. As an ex Design Engineer, I tend to approach these issues from the standpoint of "why did they do it like that?" and if I can see a better way or a way that make it easier to live with, I will work it through to a solution. 

There is no doubt that there are things that could (should) be improved, but it is a competitive business and all manufacturers face production challenges. 

For me (us) the fact that Auto-Sleepers WILL deal directly with its customers, my local dealer is 2 miles from me and has dealt with warranty issues quickly and effectively and (compared with our last motorhome brand) the finish and level of comfort is much better make all the difference. there is a great support network in the Owners Club, also.

Try contacting Swift directly for anything and they will refer you to your dealer. They are not alone in this.

Good luck for the future, we would all be interested in hearing how you get on with your new choice.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:50 am

+1 to that Dennis.  I too find that A/S are approachable - but it always helps to ask and not to go in with guns blazing!  I was amazed when they first fitted a solar panel and it was only 30w - clearly designed to just keep the battery charge when the van was not in use - but they corrected it a year or two later to 80w.
When we bought in 2012 we did not like the 2012 body but wanted Euro V - They were happyto put a 2011 body on a Euro V base - Ask Swift to do that?
Yes we have problems and more than I ever had on my Hymer - but I would not swap back.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

If Wightman had told us of his woes, I'm sure with support and help off here, he could have saved a lot of stress and heartache. Instead he chose not to post for almost a year, so could we assume he had no problems I that time. All his posts since March were to get the van ready for part-ex, something he didn't make us aware of. Living on the isle of Wight and having to get a ferry to get any problems sorted must also have added to his stress. Another reason to buy local but based where he is that was pretty impossible.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Paulmold wrote:If Wightman had told us of his woes, I'm sure with support and help off here, he could have saved a lot of stress and heartache. Instead he chose not to post for almost a year, so could we assume he had no problems I that time. All his posts since March were to get the van ready for part-ex, something he didn't make us aware of. Living on the isle of Wight and having to get a ferry to get any problems sorted must also have added to his stress. Another reason to buy local but based where he is that was pretty impossible.

Yes that is what the forum is all about, helping with problems.

He would have seen loads of reports on Solar charging, capacity of gas tanks etc.

Maybe he made up his mind to dump it and used these as an excuse.

-------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Paulmold wrote:Don't suppose you'd like to divulge which dealer you've dumped it on, so we can avoid it?
Hi Paulmold

I can say that it's at a dealer on the south coast (central), it would be unfair to name them as they may have difficulty to sell!!!

I'm was extremely happy with the AS but got sick of all the problems
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:39 pm

rgermain wrote:Maybe you did not like the van!.

I/we loved the van but not with all the constant problems/disappointments

Some of your comments need explaining, the gas tank as I understand it from previous posts has to have 20% for expansion of gas, therefore 17 is about right.

Think you are a bit wrong on this - was under the impression the tank was 25 litres so allowing 20 litre fill - which isn't far off a 6 Kg bottle which wouldn't allow you a very long non-electric stay in winter!!

Also you mention the steadies, did you use wooden load spreader boards, was it on grass? I only ask as a former caravan owner you will get movement under certain conditions.

The steadies are lowered onto the plastic units as sold by Lidl/Aldi which should keep it steadier than it does

Solar panel in winter, well what size panel? mine is a 120w and you are asking a lot for it to cope under our winter clouds, I have to charge mine once a week in winter by EHU, but this time of year it works really well under it's own steam.

I have/had 120 watt solar which should be quite sufficient as I've never had any other (even with smaller solar panel) allowed the batteries to completely discharge on any other motorhome owned!!!

While I have not been without problems, although minor, I think you will find a lot worse makes on the market.

Afraid I've just got fed up with the problems admitted by AS without full rectification of all problems

Hope you get a new van, maybe you found the Broadway did not fit your requirements, I would find it a bit on the large side.
----------
Richard
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Gromit wrote:I have to agree with Richard.

Most of the problems Wightman listed are either fairly trivial (albeit irritating), not the fault of A/S or very easily fixed.

And as Eltel suggested, the idea that other makes must be better, specially if they are German, is a myth! It would be a miracle if things didn't go wrong on such a complicated construction, assembled by fallible humans rather than robots, and bounced over potholes deep enough to bury a dead donkey!
Hi Gromit

not the fault of A/S or very easily fixed

Sorry Gromit but this is where you are totally 100% wrong!!! This m/h was first owned by ajrm (Allan) who had  numerous problems including the tape joining the side panels changed after approx 18 months and again a year later each time being told the tape was of better quality - which if you read the questions asked was admitted by AS at the last AGM and are still coming unglued now!!!!
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Eltel wrote:(7Hi All

AS admit there's a problem with the side panel jointing tape - but will only sort if under guarantee plus the plastic strips on ceiling keep falling off.  

IM SURE IT COULD HAVE BEEN CORRECTED 

It already has twice in the first 2-3 years - how many more chances should AS be given?

THEN BE MORE CAREFULL, ITS THE SAME ON ALL MOTORHOMES 

Sorry totally disagree - we've never had any blinds break in previous m/h's owned

20L LESS ABOUT 20% THAT WOULD BE 17 Litres

Can't agree as I was under impression 25 litre tank is fitted not 20 

SOLAR PANEL - YES A LARGER ONE WOULD BE BETTER SO I WOULD HAVE FITTED A LARGER SOLAR IF YOU TO HELP KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED IN THE WINTER

We did have a larger (120 watt) solar along with MPPT controller - but they still went totally flat and not even start vehicle!!!

I THINK AUTOSLEEPERS WOULD HAVE SPECIFIED A 80W FOR USE IN THE MOTORHOME NOT WINTER STORAGE

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MINE WITH FITTED CORNER STEADIES AS LONG AS INUSE CORNER STEADIES AS THEY AFE DESIGED TO BE USED WITH

AUTOSLEEPERS ARE ONE OF THE FEW MOTORHOME MANUFACTURES THAT ACYUALY FIT CORNERS STEADIES 

As above I'm afraid - no matter how/where I fitted them the m/h still felt "unstable"

I WISH YOU WELL IN THE SEARCH FOR THE PERFECT MOTORHOME 

Last edited by Wightman on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:If Wightman had told us of his woes, I'm sure with support and help off here, he could have saved a lot of stress and heartache.

Paul I did post different problems but most were problems caused by AS and "none/not mendable" like such a din from front blind when travelling one couldn't hear one self speak and difficulty with navigation instructions!!! Roof blinds breaking runners unless extremely careful when opening/closing blinds - making sure when you slide the blinds open you mustn't "catch" the catch and allow them to open - as happened to us on several occasions!!!! Never ever broke any other blind on any other m/h owned - we still have our VW split screen since the 70's and owned several different other makes since - but never AS until this one  confused3

Instead he chose not to post for almost a year, so could we assume he had no problems I that time.

As posted above I did ask questions and got brilliant and kind advice but couldn't put much of the annoying items/repairs into practice!!!?

All his posts since March were to get the van ready for part-ex, something he didn't make us aware of. Living on the isle of Wight and having to get a ferry to get any problems sorted must also have added to his stress. Another reason to buy local but based where he is that was pretty impossible.

I totally agree and would never buy from any m/h dealer here on the Island - we simply do not have any dealer who supplies new!!!? Have any of you tried/know the cost of keep travelling on/off this Island!!!   allthumbz
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm

OUr 120W solar panel does not keep batteries topped up during a UK winter when the van is parked for long periods, we live in an area which has the brightest light in the country but our batteries will still go flat. We previously owned a van which had 3x100w solar on the roof and that DID maintain the batteries though.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next