The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up grading to a Broadway

5 posters

Go down

Up grading to a Broadway Empty Up grading to a Broadway

Post by daveandgill Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi All

I have a 2006 VW Trident and I looking to upgrade to a 2nd hand Broadway EL. Can any of you let me know if there are any problems that I should look out for.Also what fuel consumption am I looking at whist traveling on motorways at say 65 mph.

David
daveandgill
daveandgill

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : trident

Back to top Go down

Up grading to a Broadway Empty Re: Up grading to a Broadway

Post by CC Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:38 pm

A Broadway owner will be able to offer better advise better but I'd guess about 28-30mpg on a run, the Broadway or the earlier Sigma is the bigger brother of the Nuevo so they are pretty much the same except for the extra length...

Only problems that you are likely to encounter with the base vehicle is the water ingress into the engine bay and some suffer from slight judder in reverse, it really isn't the biggie its made out to be to be honest and I personally spent a lot of my time fretting about this unnecessarily, the reverse judder if even present can be fixed by a software update and the Ingress issue fixed by modifications to the scuttle tray both can be fixed by Peugeot... If you are thinking of a recent or new model then these problems probably won't even affect you.

You will be told that coming from a VW the ride is awful, don't believe it! It's a different kind of ride agreed, but more sure footed and in my experience at least is actually better. Sure the VW will soak up the potholes better (due to the much softer suspension) admittedly but the cornering and road holding are far superior on the boxer base and without any wallowing. Air rides will make the ride softer and give you less buffeting in the wind from passing lorries etc.

The Boxer engines have plenty of torque and power, would think the Broaway would be fitted with the 130hp engine as standard which is more than adequate.

As far as I'm aware I don't know of any issues that affect the Broadway that don't affect the Sigma or the smaller Nuevo.... Sorry I can't offer any further advice smile!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 pm

As above really.... Mine is on the Al-Ko chassis which once the tyre pressures had been sorted out provides a great ride. Some rattles but nothing major. One thing I was really glad I did was to take it back to A/S service centre for the hab and damp check - they didn't find anything wrong but did fix a few little things such as some cosmetic sealant cracks on the skirts and gave it all a thorough check over. In 2 years, there really haven't been any problems apart from a step failing under warranty which was fixed quickly.

Ah..... The black internal push switch for the step came apart. I fixed it but today ordered a new one from A/S at the princely sum of £6.50 plus VAT as it will come apart again. Looks like a duff one...... But super service (as an ex Lunar owner, having a spares dept that will even answer the phone is a bonus, let alone a polite and efficient one!)

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Up grading to a Broadway Empty Broadway

Post by Chinaexplorer Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I've had my second-hand Broadway EK for about two years now and not found many Broadway specific problems. I did have a roof leak which was fixed under the guarantee. Also had a gas regulator failure and had to adjust the water pump. The most annoying thing is that the decorative jointing tape on the internal wall coverings curls up at the edges and I haven't had much success with replacing it. With regard to fuel consumption, it is very dependant on speed. My EK is probably less aerodynamic than the EL and I get 28 - 30 driving at 60 mph and 23 - 25 driving at 70 on motorways. I have enjoyed it though!
doubleup
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I had that problem with the tape as well - OK on the ceiling panels but some of the wall panels curled. It was replaced under warranty and I got a load of spare so can do it gain if need be. I had forgotten about that

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Dave,
I have a 2010 Broadway EL. which I got after having a VW based Swift.
Am very pleased with the power, ride comfort and fuel efficiency - about 32mpg at 60-65.
Done 2 big trips around France - each 6/7 weeks and 3k miles.
Have had quite a few small niggley problem fixed but overall its a great vehicle.
Worst issue was related to the wiring loom routing under the Sargeant power unit which caused a few system failures, but I sorted that myself.
Let me know what year and hab model yours is. If similar to mine, I can give you specifics.

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down