The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bathroom rooflight design- new?

2 posters

Go down

Bathroom rooflight design- new? Empty Bathroom rooflight design- new?

Post by Quilter Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks to a broken locking catch we have just had to have AS replace the bathroom rooflight on our 2014 Broadway EK.  Apart from being cleaner a brief look shows no differences. 

Yesterday however I looked at it more closely than before and, I think it is different to the original. In both the window bit is made of concentric circles of moulded plastic. The original was, I feel sure, a solid sheet of plastic. The new one has, on the internal parts of the concentric circles, no plastic at all and you can poke your fingers through to the outside air. 

Good for ventilation - if wanted in winter- and, despite some horrendous rainstorms and very wet travelling conditions we have not had any internal flooding, though I can’ t see why the water hasn’t been channelled in.

Can anyone confirm my observations about the new and old designs or did I not look at the old one closely enough ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Bathroom rooflight design- new? Empty Re: Bathroom rooflight design- new?

Post by Cymro Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Intrigued by your report, Quilter, I nipped out to check the bathroom fitting on our 2015 Nuevo. We never open it or draw the blind; indeed, shortly after buying the motorhome I put some bubble-wrap (clear) above the drop-down mesh as a means of giving better insulation in winter (and, as it turns out, throughout the year).

So I dropped down the hinged part; caught the bubble-wrap as it fell; and looked at the design of the rooflight. Sure enough, as you reported, there were the concentric slots into which I could poke a finger. But crucially, there is a clear pastic cover above that lower slotted pane, and it's that overall cover which keeps out the rain. It may be that your outer cover is so clean and sparkly that it's not obviously visible from below?

I'm afraid I couldn't spot the maker's label on it.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks Cymro. You’re right ! My OH, whose finger is longer than mine, has just poked it through the open slots and hit the sparkly clean outer cover that I failed to reach or see.

Whew ! Glad it is there : even though we have had no rain in I couldn’t see how my picture of it could keep rain out so was worrying.

Shows how dirty the broken one was however...

Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Quilter wrote:

Shows how dirty the broken one was however...

..... And that's how I could easily see that there's an outer cover! Another job for the list - which I keep postponing because I don't like getting on the roof.

cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down