The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water tank came loose while travelling

+7
rich g
Paulmold
Gromit
Cymro
CC
groundhog
roystonmorgan
11 posters

Go down

water tank came loose while travelling Empty water tank came loose while travelling

Post by roystonmorgan Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:17 pm

my water tank came loose and was dragging on floor, had to dissconnect Tank is now damaged, ANY SUGGESTIONS!
roystonmorgan
roystonmorgan

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle2

Back to top Go down

water tank came loose while travelling Empty Re: water tank came loose while travelling

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:31 pm

I think I would be on the phone to A/S tomorrow AM in the strongest terms assuming the year build is fairly recent even if not in warranty. That should not happen. I have heard of others having similar problems with different models.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

water tank came loose while travelling Empty Re: water tank came loose while travelling

Post by CC Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

While I sympathise with these situations, surely it's up to owners to check the condition of the straps and fixings of water tanks. When filled or even part filled there must be enormous strain on the fittings hence why Auto-Sleeper recommend you don't drive around with full tanks? As the vehicle ages these fixing are more likely to fail so if others have not checked theirs then do so at your earliest convenience, or ask it to be checked at your annual MOT by the tester as it probably is not even part of the MOT

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Ye Gods! That's worrying, Royston. I had my Clubman for 17 years and there was no hint of a problem with the stability of the water tank or the grey tank.

When you say that it came loose and was dragging on the floor, what failed? Was it a hanging strap or a J bolt to the wooden plank which supported the tank? Whatever it was, it shouldn't have failed in normal use. If you've had the vehcile from new, had the tank sustained a clout?
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat May 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Having heard of a gas tank doing the same, I'm beginning to think I may install a couple of stainless steel straps or chains, firmly fixed to something metallic on the chassis.

Not necessarily to give additional support, but to act as a safety net if a tank should happen to come loose.

I know it's a remote possibility in either case (or the waste tank) but it would be a once only, fit and forget exercise, and would give some peace of mind if nothing else.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 02, 2015 1:24 pm

There is an old (2012) thread on this subject...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rich g Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 am

It seems i have been doing the wrong thing as i always fill the water tank to the top before we go away.
I have just check the tank and i can(with force)move the bracket,is that to allow for expansion when full.

Rich
rich g
rich g

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 am

rich g wrote:It seems i have been doing the wrong thing as i always fill the water tank to the top before we go away.
I have just check the tank and i can(with force)move the bracket,is that to allow for expansion when full.
Rich
Me too in that case Rich!

When we had our first van I asked the dealer, and his opinion was, "If it will hold 100 litres Messrs Autosleepers will have made the brackets strong enough to support the weight. No point in providing that capacity if you can't make use of it."

I have always filled our tank to the brim before setting out. Particularly when travelling in France we are often unsure of where we shall stay the night, and could easily go for 3 or 4 days using only Aires if it's a long journey. We always use campsites if we are staying for more than one night, but Aires are very handy for stopping en route, and by no means all of them have facilities.

If you are doing it wrong, at least I have company! up!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon May 04, 2015 12:15 pm

I'm not going to push or pull the retaining brackets under the Nuevo, because they're coated in black waxoyl along with the tanks and the rest of the underside. But like others, I tend to set off with a tank full of local water: after all, Ty Nant isn't far away, and that sells for a fortune! Ours comes from the tap (without fizz) and is extremely soft water, so no limescale problems.

I cannot believe that AS could design a retaining system which could not cope with the mass of the filled tank - although longevity is another matter.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

water tank came loose while travelling Empty Design fault?

Post by GrahamF Fri May 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Sorry I am a bit slow in picking up on this thread, but just to add that it is obviously not uncommon. The second trip out in my new Worcester three years ago and I just happened to spot one of the two straps hanging down beneath the van whilst pitched up - it would certainly have dropped on the return journey if I had not seen it. They seem to be held by self-locking nuts (or not as the case may be). The breakdown mechanic restored it and fitted locking nuts. This is the very last thing that should be allowed to occur and I definitely think that it is a very poor bit of design that permits it. The consequences do not bear thinking about. Time for Autosleepers to take action.

Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Royston, what vehicle do you have as your profile vehicle sys none?

I too travel with a full tank at times and if that is not the done thing I might as well get rid and go back to my caravan. shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri May 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm on my 4th AS van in 10 years. I always travel with a full fresh water tank (as Jaytee says what is the point of having a tank if you don't use it) and over circa 80,000 miles have had no problem (with tank fixings!).

Peter #1

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri May 08, 2015 3:27 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I'm on my 4th AS van in 10 years.  I always travel with a full fresh water tank (as Jaytee says what is the point of having a tank if you don't use it) and over circa 80,000 miles have had no problem (with tank fixings!).

Peter #1

Excellent allthumbz good result, thanks Peter.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm

I also travel with a full tank from home , then top up with a watering can every two/three days. I always thought motor homes were self sufficient, caravans on the other hand there is a lot of faffing about as I call it.

Is it the newer vans where the hangers etc. are a bit iffy ? so not built to be as robust as the older models.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 pm

That is what I meant Daisy Mae; we converted to MH for that self sufficiency (plus the other benefits)  so if as AS say you should not travel with full tanks then I might as well return to the hassle of a caravan. However Peter (as normal) has restored my faith up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down