The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No mains supply to heater

+5
daisy mae
Cymro
Quilter
PLOUGHLIN
Jfarrell
9 posters

Go down

No mains supply to heater Empty No mains supply to heater

Post by Jfarrell Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Can any one offer so help to us newbies! We have mains supply to the van but the Truma boiler won’t work off mains, only off gas. I’ve found 2 lots of fuses but we can’t access the ones in the power supply unit and the ones behind the driver seat don’t seem easy get out ... assuming of course it is a fuse that’s gone . Can anyone offer any help with resolving this. Away for Easter weekend and it’s cold!
Jfarrell
Jfarrell

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

No mains supply to heater Empty Re: No mains supply to heater

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Have you checked the MCB on the PSU?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfarrell Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:30 pm

Yes I have and all looks ok
Jfarrell
Jfarrell

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 pm

There is a switch and fuse probably in the wardrobe.  This is the first thing to check.  The switch and fuse are on a white box like a household electrical box not the usual motorhome type. There is also a mains fuse in the heater.  These do go but are very difficult to access. They are on a circuit board behind a panel at the back of the heater.  As your gas works it must be the mains fuse not the 12V one.  They are special fuses (10A slow blow and the longer of the two cylindrical types.  It is really a job for a Truma trained tec.
The other thing to try is to turn on the higher power of the two electrical settings.  If it then works at low power it is a faulty element not a fuse.
Lastly flip all the mains circuit brakers on the sergeant unit off and then reset them. They can end up sort of off but not clearly off.

The above was written by my OH . For a link to a post that we found useful when we had exactly the same fault earlier this year put in “ Stanton Truma Heater access” into the site search box above and its the 11th post down.

Welcome to the forum by the way and I hope next time younpost it will be under happier circumstances.

Last edited by Quilter on Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfarrell Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give that a try & fingers crossed it kicks in otherwise gas it is for now til we get home. Mych appreciated
Jfarrell
Jfarrell

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 pm

I assume that when you're referring to the Truma boiler not working off mains, you're referring to the space heating as opposed to the water heating? [If it's the hot water which isn't heating on mains, is the water heater isolation switch (possibly inside the wardrobe) switched on.]

If it's the space heating, whilst I'm sure that you've thought of the elementary, have you - on the Truma panel - selected electricity as the desired fuel? And is the desired air temperature high enough to fire up the boiler?

You've confirmed that you have a working mains electricity to the van (sockets working?) and that the RCBs are all switched on. So if you've selected electricity as the desired fuel, and dialled up a decent temperature, then I'm baffled, I'm afraid.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 pm

Hello and    asof_welcome2    from Leicestershire. sorry cannot help with your heating , but good advice above. Hope it is sorted soon. fire on gas warms up quicker than electric, does on mine anyway. if you want heating on through the night, and your power points are working an electric oil heater is great, (safer than a fan heater, ) if you can access one. keep one in my van all the time. just in case. been a god send this winter.
Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 pm

If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you a copy of the email that Truma sent us with diagrams to show us how to access the fuse and so on.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Have a read of this thread from another forum..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Quilter wrote:If you send me a private message with your email address I will send you a copy of the email that Truma sent us with diagrams to show us how to access the fuse and so on.

I can't attach an e-mail to this friendship request. Look under my user name next to my posts and below my avatar and there is a small box with "pm" on it. Click on that and you should be able to send your address in a message.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jfarrell Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 pm

I can’t pm you as it says new members can’t pm for 7 days. I’ll look at the other post you mentioned - you’ve been very helpful and it’s much appreciated. ... there’s so much to learn and the experience of others is invaluable.

Thanks .
Jfarrell
Jfarrell

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Jfarrell wrote:I can’t pm you as it says new members can’t pm for 7 days. I’ll look at the other post you mentioned  - you’ve been very helpful and it’s much appreciated. ... there’s so much to learn and the experience of others is invaluable.

Thanks .

Drat ! I didn't know that.

Just in case you want a laugh this evening I will quote from the Truma letter their reply to my query as to why they have to put the fuse in such an inaccessible place:

" We do have to ensure that the 230 V fuse is located in the lower section of the boiler, out of the way of small hands, for safety reasons."

As I said earlier, it took over an hour for a trained Truma engineer to remove the woodwork around the wardrobe and then all the heating vents before eventually being able to contort himself over the back of the boiler and, with a mirror, replace the fuse.  I'm sure that even the most determined small child would have given up by then or found something easier to dismantle.

Hope all is well. As Daisy mae says earlier, a small heater is a most useful back up but, Easter Saturday at 10 pm is not the best time for me to tell you this....
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by safariboy Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:08 pm

Cymro wrote:I assume that when you're referring to the Truma boiler not working off mains, you're referring to the space heating as opposed to the water heating? [If it's the hot water which isn't heating on mains, is the water heater isolation switch (possibly inside the wardrobe) switched on.]

If it's the space heating, whilst I'm sure that you've thought of the elementary, have you - on the Truma panel - selected electricity as the desired fuel? And is the desired air temperature high enough to fire up the boiler?

You've confirmed that you have a working mains electricity to the van (sockets working?) and that the RCBs are all switched on. So if you've selected electricity as the desired fuel, and dialled up a decent temperature, then I'm baffled, I'm afraid.

Cymro
This is rather confusing.  On the truma combi the heater for water and air is the same. If one works the other will as well (all be it the water can be very slow to heat up if air is being heated)
safariboy
safariboy

Male

Member Age : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Jfarrell wrote:Can any one offer so help to us newbies! We have mains supply to the van but the Truma boiler won’t work off mains, only off gas. I’ve found 2 lots of fuses but we can’t access the ones in the power supply unit and the ones behind the driver seat don’t seem easy get out ... assuming of course it is a fuse that’s gone . Can anyone offer any help with resolving this. Away for Easter weekend and it’s cold!
Have you switched on the Space heater and Water Heater switches - top right hand switches (they should illuminate Red when pushed in to the on position) on the EC500 Power Supply Unit? If they are not pushed in then the boiler will not work on mains!

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi J
I have been suffering with your problem for two years
First check that the isolation switch is on and showing a light.
Then move the control knob  until it is over the triangle which is central on the bottom of the Truma control unit press and you should get a fault code which you can reference in the handbook.  Mine 
 is cured by vibration when moving and then fails over time.
Gef
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down