The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Condensation.....how to cope with it

+7
Jaytee
daisy mae
Liam
Peter Brown
Spospe
meanchris
Miss DaisyMay
11 posters

Go down

Condensation.....how to cope with it Empty Condensation.....how to cope with it

Post by Miss DaisyMay Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi has or does anyone have problems with condensation? We have been on site in Lincolnshire for two weeks.
The top lockers on the drivers side has housed clothes. We have needed extra space with it being winter for warm clothing. We have had condensation in these lockers and wardrobe. Also we have have two of the mini rechargeable dehumidifier..... Heating obviously has been on and we have tried our very best to keep the van ventilated.

Just wondering if this is part of camping out in winter.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Many thanks
June
Miss DaisyMay
Miss DaisyMay

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Condensation.....how to cope with it Empty Re: Condensation.....how to cope with it

Post by meanchris Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Condensation is caused by warm moist air coming into contact with a cold surface.

You could possibly prevent it by adding a layer of insulation to the back of the affected cupboards.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Condensation.....how to cope with it Empty Re: Condensation.....how to cope with it

Post by Miss DaisyMay Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Thank you. I will consider more insulation. We have kept the locker doors open.
Our van is a Winchcombe 2016...which I thought had full insulation??
Miss DaisyMay
Miss DaisyMay

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Daisy, there is insulation and there is insulation.
The only obvious short-term fixes that come to mind are:-

1) Move to a more sheltered (from the wind) pitch.

2) Try moving the van, so that it is either nose on, or tail on, to the prevailing wind.

3) Keep the affected locker doors open and ensure that the air can circulate all round the locker.

4) Increase ventilation in the habitation area, especially whilst cooking / washing.

5) Raise the temperature of the habitation area, you should not need a pullover, if you do, then it is too cold (20-21c is about right)
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 pm

Miss DaisyMay wrote:We have kept the locker doors open.

This is the easiest (and in my view) best way to deal with the problem.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss DaisyMay Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Spospe ......
Ah so maybe we have not had the temperature set high enough on the heating. We don't like it to be hot, and tend to wear an extra layer or too!

Peter ....
Many thanks

I must add it has been very wet, windy and frosty with most nights in minus temperatures.
However we are pleased that we have managed to freeze any pipes and water is running freely!

June

Miss DaisyMay
Miss DaisyMay

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss DaisyMay Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm

*** pleased we have NOT managed to freeze any pipes.......****
Miss DaisyMay
Miss DaisyMay

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi. We camp all winter too and have noticed condensation in the van. Particularly in the cupboard next to the habitation door and the bottom kitchen drawer. These are clearly our 'cold spots' and we just open the doors so that they are at the same temperature as the van. They get very wet as we start to warm the van but once wiped out and aired they are okay. We don't have any problems with overhead lockers and use these to store bedding and clothes without any problems. Like you June, we tend to go for an extra jumper so just heat the van to about 18c when we are in it and set to 8c when we are out or overnight. This seems to work okay. What I have noticed is that the deep 'pockets' on the driver and passenger door tend to collect condensation and they need wiping dry each morning. I think that a Silver helps. I'm always amazed by how warm and dry the vans are for winter camping. We are just back from a weekend in the Dales where we were rained on during Saturday and went below freezing both nights. The van was really comfortable and the bathroom worked great as a drying room! It gets quite a bit of use in that guise! L2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Miss DaisyMay wrote:Thank you. I will consider more insulation. We have kept the locker doors open.
Our van is a Winchcombe 2016...which I thought had full insulation??
You are correct - the level of insulation is class 3 in your m/home - which I believe is currently highest offered in standard motorhome manufacture. 
I would have said that the problem is lack of air circulation - any warm air which will rise and meeting the cold air at the roof line and within the cupboards will condense at that point. 
We place our clothes in zip up separate travel packs/bags (socks, pants, etc. all in separate bags) which are made of cloth type material (get them from the internet). These serve two purposes ;- 1. They prevent the clothes from resting directly on cold surfaces and 2. It is much easier to locate and identify the item of clothing you are after.
I would turn the thermostat up a degree or two also!
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Is it the humidifier that is causing the problems,? it also takes out from outside the van so bringing damp air in, that is as I understand  it.

I was in Perth a few weeks ago in freezing conditions, yes camping, never had condensation, when using the cooker I opened the kitchen roof vent, closed when finished with cooker. I had Silver Screens on the windscreen, heating was up,

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Odd, we have a Winchcombe and been in some pretty cold places without condensation. Perhaps just lucky.

Just read the posts again and wonder if it is because we don't keep them full of clothes? We do keep towels above the microwave but not had any probs.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:03 pm

If you have A/C fitted then it would be worth while running it for a period during damp weather or if you have brought damp clothing into the van. It will condition (dry) the atmosphere within the van as well as providing heat!
Liam

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Jaytee wrote:Odd, we have a Winchcombe and been in some pretty cold places without condensation. Perhaps just lucky.

Just read the posts again and wonder if it is because we don't keep them full of clothes? We do keep towels above the microwave but not had any probs.
I agree John,
Our overhead cupboards tend to be full of food! 
We manage to get all of our kit into the wardrobe with some overflow into the lockers under the bench seats.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Liam wrote:You are correct - the level of insulation is class 3 in your m/home - which I believe is currently highest offered in standard motorhome manufacture. 
Hi Liam

If you've read the requirements for achieving "Class 3" you will notice that it tells you far more about the output of the heater than the efficacy of the insulation.  shrugg

I'm not sure there is an easy answer to the condensation problem, although we have never noticed it. Apart from keeping the van nice and warm with a little ventilation, there's not much else you can do. We leave the heating on permanently if that is significant. Only set at about 18 - 19 degrees, but that usually feels warm enough and nothing seems to get damp.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Gromit wrote:
Liam wrote:You are correct - the level of insulation is class 3 in your m/home - which I believe is currently highest offered in standard motorhome manufacture. 
Hi Liam

If you've read the requirements for achieving "Class 3" you will notice that it tells you far more about the output of the heater than the efficacy of the insulation.  shrugg
 We leave the heating on permanently if that is significant. Only set at about 18 - 19 degrees, but that usually feels warm enough and nothing seems to get damp.
Dave,
Yes, the heating system plays a very large part in achieving the requirements of the "Class3" standard and perhaps therein lies the clue to the problem. 
Like you, we do not stint with the heating during cold damp periods - although we tend to set a lower figure (about 15 degrees) when its left on overnight - "management" likes a cool bedroom! 
We certainly have not seen any evidence of condensation or damp during the 3 years use of our current van.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am

You will only get condensation if you have moisture in the van. 
You need to find out how the moisture is getting in there. 
Any moisture will condensate onto the coldest surfaces. Turning up the heating will not remove it. 
Only way to remove condensation is ventilation.
landyman
landyman

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:07 pm

To save starting anew thread.....
I always store the van with doors open, blinds closed apart from the top couple of inches and unless extremely cold which is rare down here without heating. Done this with various vans over many years.
I saw a suggestion to aid preventing condensation by leaving a couple of windows closed on the outer latch to allow a little more air flow but I have never tried it, would have thought with the blinds closed this might not be wise.
Anyone else do this, interested to know if it really does help.
Thanks 
GH
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 pm

It’s not possible with the glass windows in a PVC but I’ve not tried it in any of our caravans or coachbuilt MHs, GH. In view of our moist climate in this area, I’d be a bit reluctant to let more damp air inside.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down