The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hot water leak

+2
gemdeco
Mountaineye
6 posters

Go down

Hot water leak Empty Hot water leak

Post by Mountaineye Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:16 pm

I have a water leak which I believe to be coming from the hot water system. The water is either dripping or being squirted onto the back of the Trumatic space heater and can be heard hissing as it hits the hot parts. The water that does not evaporate emerges on the floor from under the heater. My dealer (s/h vehicle but under warranty) tells me there is no possible mechanism for water to drip or spray onto the heater as no pipes or joints are nearby. Does anyone know whether there might be a mechanism for this? When I switched off the pump and the heater and water heater the leak stopped after a short while.
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Hot water leak Empty Re: Hot water leak

Post by gemdeco Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi 
  Where is the water heater in relation to the fire is it in the bottom of the wardrobe if so there are lots of pipes hot & cold have you had a look?
regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Mountaineye Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Not sure on my Vehicle but had assumed heater was in base of wardrobe. Didn't want to go too far in and give an opportunity for my warranty to be voided. Dealer 'assured' me that there were no pipes anywhere near......so will probably have to bite the bullet and see if floor can be removed.
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 pm

I have a 2006 Nuevo and water heater is under floor of wardrobe and the heater is mounted in front, so cannot see how the dealer can claim that no pipes are there.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mountaineye Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you Paul, really appreciated. This forum is amazing! :-)
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Actually it's pretty obvious when the flue is on the outside wall behind the wardrobe. Curious to know who the dealer is.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Mountaineye,
You have a vehicle with a warranty.
It has a water leak.
Take it back to the dealership and tell them you want it repaired...............straight away........... and don't get fobbed off with a stupid story.

The whats, wheres, whys, hows, etc. are really of no concern to you, it's up to the dealer to diagnose and repair as necessary.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but we all need to support each other far more in taking a much tougher stance with these rogue dealerships.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Mountaineye Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 am

Just heard back from the dealer. He says " Having checked the warranty, water pipes are not covered" and reiterates that there is no water heater under the wardrobe. Time to get the screwdriver out I think. This follows on from a non working radio isolator switch that they couldn't fix and a non working cruise control that was " Not covered by warranty"......
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:59 am

Insurance backed warranties such as MB&G aren't worth the paper they're printed on (if that's the sort of warranty you have). If this problem existed from delivery, then I would insist the dealer sort it as it was not fit for purpose. If you've had the van for a while and the problem was not evident when you took delivery, then you have to rely on the dealer doing the right thing but it sounds as though he doesn't know what he sells.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mountaineye Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 am

Thank you Paul it is a third party warranty. I'll head down the Consumer Rights Act 2015 route and see where I get to. I'm surprised that in the age of Social Media at national level and a very strong local gossip network that the dealer at Ings in Cumbria is hesitant about good customer service.
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:56 am

This dealer lack of support really is disgusting. A good friend of mine bought an oldish MH with a years warranty, lots of simple defects that proved they had not checked everything before sale (as they documented they had) and the excuse why the heater wasn't working on mains was the previous owner rarely used EHU !! lol4
And the reason they hadn't fixed it after having the van for two weeks was "didn't want to disturb it in case we couldn't get spares as it is old" lol4
Perhaps we should have a thread for each dealer so we can post 'thoughts' against each Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:59 am

The dealer at Ings is registered as a member on here but hasn't posted for a couple of years now (all his posts have been deleted now) They used to advertise any AS's they had for sale. A mention that you'll be posting about his service on here may be a lever. They've been in business a long time and can't believe he doesn't know where the heater is.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mountaineye Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:07 am

I'd much prefer not to allow things to spiral down, there are few winners under such circumstances. His reply to the question regarding the possibility of it being a leak from the water heater was "Yes having checking with the engineers, there is no heater behind the fire". 

I don't have a schematic but I'd have thought that was the only place it could be...I'm going to have a look when I have half an hour and see if the base of the wardrobe can be removed in straightforward fashion. 
Mountaineye
Mountaineye

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 am

I could owe you and the dealer an apology. If yours is a low profile (mine is an ES) then I've just looked at one on eBay and the photos show the flue as being under the window which means the heater is under a bench and not under the wardrobe but AS do have a habit of moving things so look where your flue is on the outside wall, the heater will be behind it.
Having said that, I'm pretty sure there must be pipes running through the wardrobe base to get to the washroom etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Mine is a low profile EK and the water heater is right behind the space heater under the wardrobe floor panel. This was a pain to remove first time I did it as the electrical trunking and such had been installed after the floor was fitted. Once it was removed I enlarged the slots and cut outs on the floor panel. This has made subsequent removal and refitting a couple of minutes of a job.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:24 pm

So I might be right. The one on Ebay I looked at was a 2002, yours is a 2004 so as I said earlier, AS keep moving things. Either way, there has to be pipework running through the wardrobe under the floor and behind the room heater.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down