The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange LED light problem

+3
brodco
steve00136
moggyminor1966
7 posters

Go down

Strange LED light problem Empty Strange LED light problem

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri May 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Just before going off again in our Nuevo I changed the halogen bulbs in the wardrobe and over cab locker for 2W Led cob bulbs. They give a much brighter light and do not get hot. I also changed the bulbs in the cooker hood.
All tested and worked fine.
The first night away whilst watching freeview tv when I opened the wardrobe door the light came on ok but the tv signal went off. The tv booster is inside the wardrobe so for some reason it affects this. When I close the door the tv signal is back again. It is only the wardrobe light which affects it. I have removed the bulb so all is fine now.
Has anyone any idea why this is happening and can offer a cure otherwise I put the halogen bulb back in or leave it out.Possibly a standard led -not a cob-may work.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Strange LED light problem Empty Re: Strange LED light problem

Post by steve00136 Fri May 20, 2016 9:47 pm

think I would put another led bulb in - the first one may have a fault in it

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri May 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi wave

Just to confirm - you changed the bulbs for LED versions with exactly the same bases (i.e. no wiring mods) yes?

Sounds like an EMC problem ( it's becoming very common). The LED will have a built in current regulator and my guess (and without any sort of testing it is only a guess) would be that it has what is known as a switching regulator. That means that it works by switching the power supply on and off at high speed, somewhere between 30,000 and 300,000 times a second would be normal. Such regulators can generate quite a bit if interference and my guess is that this interference is getting into the aerial amplifier, or possibly directly into the TV and upsetting the operation.

First thing to look at is the LED bulb itself.  The current regulations define limits to the level of interference the bulb can emit. If it's made by a reputable manufacturer it will be tested and certified compliant by attaching the "CE" mark. Unfortunately many (usually Chinese) knockoffs  fake the "CE" mark so if there is any doubt it's worth trying a different make of bulb. The COB/standard LED issue is irrelevant.

Next thing to look at is the aerial amp / TV.

Again modern products will be designed, tested (and CE marked) as  immune to normal levels of interference found these days but older products may not be and can perform very badly in this respect. Unfortunately solving the problem in this case involves replacing the equipment or fitting filter components.

If all else fails going back to standard halogen may be the only simple option.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 pm

Agreed, it will almost certainly be the switching regulator on the LED fitting - I have a similar problem with the LEDs that I fitted to my (previously halogen lit) Osram Copilots.

I would try swapping it for another - of a different make if possible. If not, you are fortunate that it's not a lamp that needs to be on much, so going back to halogen should not cost you much in terms of power (I can't do that with the Copilots as I use them for hours at a time to read by).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat May 21, 2016 9:14 am

Have also experienced tv reception interrupted when switching on LED light above bathroom mirror. No bulb replacement or redesign on my part so accept A/S build having positioned light switch just 18 inches from tv booster in the adjoining wardrobe did not think it would cause this problem? Have to remember to switch on the other bathroom light that doesn't cause interference.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat May 21, 2016 9:35 am

@Brodco
Thanks for your very interesting explanation.  No wiring modifications have been made. The bulb is a G4 with the 2 pins. I think it did originate from China. I got the cob version as it was the smallest to fit in the light.
The TV booster is the originel Teleco fitted by A/S and the TV is an Avtex.
Will try a UK sourced one when I get home otherwise put the halogen back in.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by edas Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi Guys,

Fitted LED bulbs in spotlights on 2005 Pollensa, exactly same problem, TV freezes when spotlight switched on.
Also more recently fitted LED tubes in main habitation ceiling light. Turned light off and tripped out the whole van. got everything back except ceiling lights, any ideas

Thanks
EDAS
edas
edas

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : pollensa
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:30 pm

edas wrote: . . .
Also more recently fitted LED tubes in main habitation ceiling light. Turned light off and tripped out the whole van. got everything back except ceiling lights, any ideas

Thanks
EDAS

Did you bypass the transformer unit and connect straight to 12V when replacing the fluorescent tube with an LED tube on the ceiling light?
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down