The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange Faults

4 posters

Go down

Strange Faults Empty Strange Faults

Post by Dave 418 Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 am

:think_smiley_4Whilst we were away last week we had some strange faults that came to a simple conclusion. After we came off the ferry at Dunkirk we drove to the first Aire between Brugge and Gent. It hadnt been a very sunny day but as we had been driving most of the day both sides of the ferry crossing the leisure batteries should have been fully charged. It was showing half charged and the bathroom light was flickering. As we intended to be staying on Aires after Holland this was a bit of a worry.
When we got to the site in Holland and on hook up I decided to have a bit of a suss and boggle and check voltages ect. The main leisure battery under the drivers seat was nearly flat, we must have been living on the small one under the passenger seat. By some chance I hapened to notice the solar control box was showing a red light I hadnt seen before.  confused3 Checking the manual this means there is a battery connection fault.
The connections on the small battery were tight. The main leisure battery connections were tight, checked with a spanner. But actually tugging on the cables the poss terminal  came off even though the clamp nut was tight!!!.
I slackened the clamp nut and gently tapped the terminal down on to the post and re tightened the clamp nut. The red light went out and the bathroom light stopped flickering. Also for some odd reason the water tank gauge started working again, it read full constantly after flushing the tank.
After a week away and a few Belgium speed bumps all seems well. 
When I worked at the roadside an old garage boss said you cant beat giving the wiring loom a good thruching it will find any loose wires.  I am going to have a good check at the wiring under the drivers seat, it isnt Autosleepers best. Two big batteries and black spageti.
Any way apart from a storm in Holland made up for by this weekends heat wave on the way home it was a great week away. Were next. think_smiley_46
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Strange Faults Empty Re: Strange Faults

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue May 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi Dave 
Have a nice holiday, I ways check the earthing straps,after problems in the Sigma last year.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm

This has got me into thinking mode. The solar control box is laid on the floor under the passenger seat. I am sure it should be mounted to some thing. Perhaps I could invent a bracket so I can see the lights without lying on the floor. Any one else have solar panels, if so were is the control box mounted
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon May 14, 2018 12:55 pm

I was told that controllers had to be fitted to a vertical service ?
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

This is mine. I mounted the controller and battery master by the main van controls on the wardrobe bulkhead. 4amps showing, a nice sunny day!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down