The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

filling van with water

+18
Maasai Warrior
merv
groundhog
cruisecontrol
bikeralw
Libraryman2
opatija
Junige36
inspiredron
Jaytee
Paramedic
Starlight
Gromit
yottieman
Peter Brown
daisy mae
Paulmold
simon59
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

filling  van with water Empty filling van with water

Post by simon59 Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I have a whale watermaster on my Nuevo the type that plugs in to the motorhome then connect to the tap the dealer tells me they filled it by this, well I cant get any water through this, it just squirts out from the tap end has anyone else had this trouble ? thanks for any help.
simon59
simon59

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : broadway ek tb lp
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

filling  van with water Empty Re: filling van with water

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:37 pm

Check these threads as this has been asked so many times...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello Simon, and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire.

Sorry not much help with your water filling I`m afraid, as I have the simple one, just put hose in tank opening and switch water on.

I do believe you have to have a switch switched on which is on your control panel. there should be a thread somewhere, as this has come up before. I will see if I can find it for you.
Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm

switch must be switched on , on the control panel before starting.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Yes there is an electrically operated valve on the inside of the filler that will open and allow water in when several conditions are satisfied - see other threads. There is also a filter in the valve that can block.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by yottieman Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello Simon
I had the same thing on my 2011 Lancashire. The solenoid valve just inside the filler point was not working. I believe this is operated by a float switch on the water tank and when looking underneath I found a loose wire hanging so no power was getting to the solenoid. I took off the valve and discovered that even when applying 12v it did not operate properly and the filter was corroded and u/s. So I drilled out the valve without the filter and refitted it as a straight through connector.  I have now put a filter in he hose just before the filler fitting which is easy to access and keep clean. 
All I have to watch now is that I don't overfill the tank in case the pressure does anything nasty but other posts suggest this is not a problem. My water gauge is working at present so I can keep an eye on that while filling.

Hope this may help.
yottieman
yottieman

Male

Member Age : 90
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by yottieman Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Further to the above I found extra help on another forum. 
If you continue to use the whale blue block hose adaptor then take this apart and remove the limiter valve bit. 
While about it I dismantled the other end and fitted a semi-rigid hose instead of the flat blue one. You will need to get a small hose clip to go inside (my friendly local garage man had one!!). This improves the flow into the tank quite a bit. I also put a filter in my filling hose to keep bits and bugs out but if you do not normally drink water from the tank this may not be necessary.
Hope this helps.
yottieman
yottieman

Male

Member Age : 90
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Yes indeed, a truly wonderful system - for a caravan!! shrugg

If it continues to be a pain in the neck, it's not difficult to fit a Fiamma type hole-in-the-wall filler so you can use a standard hosepipe, and a watering can when on site. Any half-way competent fitter could do it as the hose does not need to enter the tank via the top surface, so no need to remove it. If the hose enters as high up as possible on the side of the tank that will be quite adequate, and the rest of the installation is easy enough.

You would then have a simple, idiot proof system that had none of the "several conditions" Peter mentions, and therefore no longer those several things to go wrong!!! The system worked perfectly for generations of motorhomers, and it wasn't busted - so why did they think it needed "mending"??
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlight Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Hello all
New boy question heading your way!
When I wish to fill my water tank (Autosleeper Bourton 2014) it came with two hoses.  One short length of hose fits into a container and has a submersible pump that sucks the water into the tank.  The other is a blue Whale fitting with a valve attached to a flat hose. This does not seem to fill the tank or cause the pump to operate.  Any I doing something wrong?  Last trip out the pump pulsed on and off.  I've emptied the tank to start again.  Is. He flat hose used to plumb in and use on demand without filling the tank?  How does the hot water tank fill?  Sorry for the query as I'm sure it's been asked before!  Manual not much help.
Thanks
Starlight
Starlight

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Our very long flat hose has conventional water tap connection and the blue whale socket. This is used on campsite on a service pitch that effectively provides continuous supply of water to your van's tank. Apologies if I have stated the obvious. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Starlight,

I think I must be in the minority as I find this system totally useable and I like it. snigger

Both systems need the electrics switched on. There is an auto cut off in the tank so either filling option will stop when the tank is full.

The short hose with the pump is for filling from a container, put the pump into the full container and then fit the square connector fully into the MH fitting and it will pump into the MH.

The long hose is for attaching directly to a mains tap, blue square adapter into the MH and it will auto fill to full.

You can leave the hose connected to a tap or a pump in a full water container and it will keep the tank full but the relay clicking all the time when the tank is full and you move around in the van will drive you mad. So this is something I never do.

The hot tank fills automatically when the pump runs and there is water in the tank. Just make sure the auto drain valve isn't open.

If your pump is pulsing with taps off then there is either air in the system or you will need to adjust the pressure switch.

All quite easy once you get your head around it allthumbz

-------------------

Moderator Note: Please don't alter the text sizes and read recent threads on the topic

------------------

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlight Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Jaytee
So...the blue, Whale connection in the filler point on my MH with the hose to the mains tap should/will fill my water tank/s?
I have been advised to open the taps whilst filling the tank and yes the auto empty button was found on day one when the water emptied as quick as I was filling it!  How do you adjust the pressure switch, where is it?  What does it look like?  I have switched on the control panel and the tap symbol.  Air in the system seems to be a common problem.  When filling from a container, I can see how much water in taking onboard.  The gauges are hardly accurate?  Waste one shows constantly 100% full.
Thanks
Starlight
Starlight

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Slightly off OP topic but I suppose it's related. Yes hose on tap will fill tank. Make sure square adaptor is fully home. 
I wouldn't have pump switched on while filling and can't see reason for having taps open shrugg.
To bleed once tank full, switch on pump and open both cold taps till runs clear of air, close and open hot taps until clear of air. Close taps and Pump should now stop. 
There are quite a few threads on tank indication.
Possibly one on setting pressure switch as well.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:45 am

I'm with Jaytee on this. I confess that having to have the control panel switched on did catch me out the first time out because the panel is switched off automatically when you start the engjne to drive to the tap. Apart from that and the slightly slow filling rate I'm a happy Whale way man. The solenoid valve is there so that the float switch in the tank can switch the water inlet off as soon as the tank is full so drilling it out prevents permanent connection on a service pitch. One thing not mentioned above is that to use the short hose with the pump on the end the electric contacts on the inlet must be powered. There is a water pump setting on the control panel menu with three options - internal pump, external pump or both. I leave mine set to both.

Last edited by inspiredron on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lots of typos)

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Junige36 Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:03 am

Simon, had a neuvo for 3 years never had a problem with whale long or short hose. I switch on the control panel on, open hose tap then select waterfill according to book it automatically turns off after a minute ....I reselect it a couple if times this way I think prevents pump running when tank is empty. Then when I know I have some water in the tank I select the external option ....when 50% full select both on control panel open up internal taps and water starts to flow out of taps. On the rare occasion I had an air lock. This sorted itself out by driving the around the block ... Hope that helps. You must ensure the square whale connector is fully engaged otherwise you just get a clicking sound and very very slow filling.
Junige36
Junige36

Female

Auto-Sleeper : neuvo

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi,
I'm also with Jaytee on this one. Had my Kemerton for three years without any problems with  the Whale filling system.
Use the flat hose at home to fill for the first time. Purge the system of air whilst filling the cold and hot water tanks, and then on site use a 10Ltr container with the submersible pump. No need to move the van, just add it to the chores you have to do on site.

Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

opatija wrote:Use the flat hose at home to fill for the first time . . . . .  and then on site use a 10Ltr container with the submersible pump. No need to move the van, just add it to the chores you have to do on site.
Frank
Hi Frank

I'm not taking the Mick, but this is precisely why the Whale is a complete waste of time for me.

I do exactly the same as you, except I fill up at home using the garden hosepipe - which I don't have to drain and roll up again to store.

When on site I use a 6 litre container which is even more convenient than yours. It's called a watering can, and it doesn't need a submersible pump, and it suffers from none of the various problems and faffing about that numerous other members have detailed earlier in this thread, and several others! shrugg

Plus unless I get a hole in my bucket (dear Lisa, dear Lisa winks) there's nothing to go wrong.   (Burl Ives wasn't it?) up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm

I have a new Broadway and having just arrived in Spain I'm using the auto fill for the 1St time.
It initially worked correctly from an empty tank but though it still works it will not fill past 75% now....not a problem just a fact!

But I am wondering, what are the two blue clips/ buttons  on the side of the white square connector for....
Are they two release it? Lock it in?.....I'm just baffled as for the use!

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Harry Belafonte Dave, without the help of Google...
Showing my age now....
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Ray, the 75% may be due to indication as it really is barely fit for purpose. The clips are to release the locking tabs that hold the square adapter in tight.

This system must be a marmite system as I don't find it a problem at  all and it has many attributes. We have stayed hundreds of nights in the van to date and never a problem with it.

As a very handy mod I have cut the flat hose about six inches from the square adaptor and have put a standard hose connector on it and also one on the cut end of the flat hose. I now find that the supplied hoses often found on site nowadays just clip straight on to the short hose end on the van adaptor. AND I can go off and do other things while it is filling knowing it will switch off when full.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:41 pm

bikeralw wrote:Harry Belafonte Dave, without the help of Google...
Showing my age now....
Al.
I thought it was him at first Al, but changed my mind.

I now have to Google it. I think I'm showing my senility!! snigger

Hmmmmm. Looks like we might both be right, but the lyrics I remember are Belafonte's. It was Henry - not Goofy! shrugg

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Starlight Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Jaytee
I like your idea of the adapter for the pump. Perhaps I've just been impatient with the fill rate?  So, switch on the panel, plug in the hose and turn on the tap and leave it?  Then bleed the air out by opening the taps.  I'll give it a go on my next outing!
Thanks
Dave
Starlight
Starlight

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks Jaytee, I'll adopt that idea too, it's working quite well for me now,   the trouble is that I don't do instructions....I just wing everything until I'm desperate, however it seems that there aren't any decent instructions for this piece of kit anyway although to be fair; it's not overly complicated is it?

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Dave,
Point taken. Each to his own. I have had motorhomes since the 70's and I just happen to find this system works for me.
The benefit of the 10 litre container is that we can carry a spare capacity of water just in case we end up at an 'Aire' without a water supply.
As regards the flat hose, it only takes a few minutes to drain it and roll it up. We take it with us on our travels but have never needed to use it as yet. I suppose the full benefit of it would be on fully serviced pitches.

Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:01 pm

opatija wrote:Hi Dave,
Point taken. Each to his own. I have had motorhomes since the 70's and I just happen to find this system works for me.
Frank
Precisely Frank. It would be a boring old world if we were all the same! smile!

We caravanned for about 30 years before we could afford a motorhome, and became thoroughly fed up with all the unavoidable faffing.

We now very much enjoy our active participation in the KISS principle. Keep it as simple as possible (hence the watering can) and smile sympathetically at the poor devils who can't get into their caravans until they have erected their awnings - in a howling gale and torrential rain. up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next