The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External Thermal Screen Cover

+7
merv
Swansea Jac
Paulmold
burlingtonboaby
frederic
Quilter
AndyLouch
11 posters

Go down

External Thermal Screen Cover Empty External Thermal Screen Cover

Post by AndyLouch Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 am

Greetings all,

First post so hope it works OK! We will be taking delivery of a 2013 van in February and one of the first things we're thinking of getting is a silver screen cover. A couple of questions:

1. Are they worth it in terms of; a). keeping cool during the 3 warm days we get in June in the UK? b). keeping warmer the the 362 days of the year?

2. 'Taylormade' (http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/) seem to be the best (No connection) however there seem to be plenty of cheaper versions on Interweb?

3. Do the cheaper versions fit properly or is it better doing what my Mother says and save up until you can afford what should be a better product?

Any advice welcome.

Andy and Helen
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

External Thermal Screen Cover Empty Re: External Thermal Screen Cover

Post by Quilter Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 am

Good morning and welcome to you both...

External screens are well worth having, not just for keeping warm or cool - which they do very effectively- but, more importantly in my view, preventing condensation on the single glazed windscreen. If we were in the van today for example, and had not put the cover on, we'd be waking up to all the cab windows covered in condensation. It's not easy to wipe it all up and dry it off without getting water all over the dashboard, the cab seats and any other stuff " stored" up there. Not to mention down your armpit as well thanks to the angles involved.

We have had both Silverscreens and Taylormade and have been happy with the make, longevity and fit of both makes. I can't speak for other makes.   We like the slightly longer screen that covers the area below the windscreen over the bonnet, and we also like the ones than allow the whole of the centre, over the windscreen, to be folded down during the day.

Both firms are good about offering advice over the phone and very fast with delivery.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:28 am

We have always had 'Silverscreen' Thermal Screens and been very pleased with them. 
frederic
ps you did not say which model of A/S you were getting?
Those with fully exposed to the sky windscreens, certainly need an insulated cover for winter use!
IMHOp the inside ones are a pain and a waste of time, condensation wise.
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:42 am

Taylormade long version screens on my Sigma, 6 winters old and still hanging on after last nights storm here on the east coast, looking abit green at the moment.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:14 am

frederic wrote:
ps you did not say which model of A/S you were getting?

It's a Winchcombe. (he told us in his intro post last week). 

Silverscreens for me.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:19 am

We have just sold our year 2000 A/S legend on a "Smiley Face" transit base.  We had Silver Screens for it, and found them so good that we have already ordered a new set to fit our new van.  So, if by chance you have a tranny, you are welcome to our 18 month old ones @ £70...(Our new ones come in at £149, and worth every penny.)  As Quilter says, the fold down centre section (velcro-ed) is fantastic.  Mike at Silver Screens is particularly helpful 01274872151  allthumbz  http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

Last edited by Swansea Jac on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : It is year 2000 not year 200!...That really would be a vintage model!)
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:42 am

All, many thanks for replies and advice, much appreciated. Yes, to confirm its a Winchcombe and it's very new as we have only borrowed a motorhome from a friend for a couple of weeks in the past! Roll on delivery in February!!
We'll certainly look at Silverscreens and Taylormade and thanks for the 'condesation' question - I'd not thought about that!  
Cheers,
Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Always had Silverscreens therefore can't comment on other makes. Excellent product and they will take their own screens in part exchange if you change your van.  We actually took two earlier sets to the workshop in Cleckheaton and had an excellent price against a new set. 
If you visit you do need to book a time to go!  Interesting visit to what is a very small cottage industry with a personal touch.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Silver screens for me every time, very robust and well made and a good fit,compared to many others jmho.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by tomlynne Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:24 am

Just don't get the cheaper versions - they are cheap for a reason. We learnt the hard way! Cheers tomlynne
tomlynne
tomlynne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:03 am

Ordered Silver Screns for our new van last Saturday.

Tuesday, 4pm, they were delivered.

Tuesday 4.30pm we fitted them on the van (easy peasy and a perfect fit) on our drive, alongside the house. 

Wednesday, 10 am, Knock at the door.  A gentleman, passing in his car, had spotted them and wanted to know where we bought them from, as they look so good and are such an excellent fit! allthumbz

He took the telephone number of Silver Screens from the badge on the side, and has ordered some for his two month trip south in his motor home, having had two unsuccessful sets of cheaper screen covers in the past (and under threat od divorce if he doesn't get the problem sorted!)
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:05 am

Agree with all the above forget the cheaper ones....

We have one of the silverscreens solar view screens on our Worcester ( earlier version of Winchcombe) which has many advantages for general use.We can see out but others cannot see in. Used for wild camping if we need to make a quick getaway we can see where we are going. We can leave the cab windows open and the air comes in but the bugs don't! It is very light and very easy to take on and off.

Probably not suitable for seriously cold conditions but worth a look!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:46 am

groundhog wrote:Agree with all the above forget the cheaper ones....

We have one of the silverscreens solar view screens on our Worcester ( earlier version of Winchcombe) which has many advantages for general use.We can see out but others cannot see in. Used for wild camping if we need to make a quick getaway we can see where we are going. We can leave the cab windows open and the air comes in but the bugs don't! It is very light and very easy to take on and off.

Probably not suitable for seriously cold conditions but worth a look!
We've got one of these as well and it is  good in hot weather. It's a lot smaller than the winter screen but is not so effective as the padded one in either very hot or very cold weather.  I always carry a couple of silvered car windscreen sunscreens ( for putting over the top of the hab area  side windows in strong sunshine) and, if it is likely to be cold overnight then push these under the solar screen. That way we can get away with not carrying the bulkier winter screen when we are away between seasons.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:16 am

That's a great idea Quilter thanks!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:50 pm

All, fantastic feedback and advice, very much appreciated. Will purchase a set (when we get the van!) and let you know how we got on!
Thanks, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:50 pm

As usual, I'm going to put a counter-argument: I only use external screens occasionally, so there is no way I am going to pay £170 for one! I bought one for my T5 for £50 from Just Kampers, and it does the job fine.

Sure, it may not be as durable or as insulated as the £170 ones - but given that I probably use it 5-10 times a year it's not an issue for me, and the amount of insulation is not critical either, as I have bigger heat losses to worry about than the windscreen.

I looked at the economics of this long and hard, and concluded that the "best you can buy" ones may be better, but not ~in my opinion~ £120-worth better...

I know that this is going to put the backs up of the people who want to self-affirm, but hopefully they will accept that we all have different financial circumstances and that the "best at any cost" approach may not suit everyone.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:39 pm

You pays your money and takes your choice, nothing wrong with that mojo, each to his own as always, wouldn`t do for us all to be the same.
Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down