The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermal screen cover leakage over doors

+8
AndyPK
daisy mae
artheytrate
Gromit
Paramedic
burlingtonboaby
TeamRienza
pads
12 posters

Go down

Thermal screen cover leakage over doors Empty Thermal screen cover leakage over doors

Post by pads Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if how you overcame it.

Just got a new Broadway (Fiat chassis) and the first time we put the thermal screen covers on it rained and water poured in over the top of both the passenger and driver cab doors.
The first time the rain was a bit torrential, but then it happened again with light rain.
What I think is happening is that the flap over the door is compressing the rubber door seals, and as the Broadway has no rain gutter (not that many new coachbuilts have one anyway). As it is a new van, the seals are not going to be perished, and it doesn't happen with out the screen covers on.

Has anyone any advice please.

Thank you

Peter
pads
pads

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Thermal screen cover leakage over doors Empty Re: Thermal screen cover leakage over doors

Post by TeamRienza Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:38 pm

My current van is an A class. The passenger door is a flush fit with external rubber seals which are neat and effective. 

However the manufacturer has seen fit to apply a short section of 'guttering' above the door to divert any water either in front of or behind the door.

It has proven effective on my silver screen external covers.

The guttering is just an L shaped strip of metal glued to the body to form a barrier and divert any water. It is the same colour as the van and is at the point where roof curves downwards to become side panel.

Perhaps a DIY fix similar would solve the problem for you.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Thermal screen cover leakage over doors Empty Re: Thermal screen cover leakage over doors

Post by pads Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Thank you for the information.
However on the Broadway, the coachbuilt part of the body (ie converters bit) overhangs the door, and comes to less than 5mm of the top of the door opening. Hence no space to fit any form of gutter.
Peter
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi Peter, perhaps with the external screen in situ, any rain that would readily run down the cab windows can't drain away thus creates a pooling of water that seeps in the top of the doors. Our silver screen fits very snug to the point where it overlaps (folds back) above the doors (the 5 mm you mention) against the cab. Just a guess as I can't recall experiencing torrential rain when using our screen. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm

It might help to know which cover you are using. They are all similar, but even a small difference could cause your problem.

We have genuine SilverScreens and our cab is identical to your. Never had any problem and we've been in some horizontal rain at times.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:21 pm

I've had the same problem from new with Taylor made screens.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:12 pm

I haven`t had this problem with Silver Screens, different windscreen I know, do these fit more snugly than the Taylor Made  ones I wonder?
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by pads Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:37 pm

I didn't mention the make as I thought they all fitted over the cab doors in a similar way.
Mine are Taylormade ones.
Peter
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:47 am

Perhaps that is the reason then, Peter - we use a SilverScreen and it has never caused water ingress even in torrential rain (but obviously a different 'van to yours).
Andy
AndyPK
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by pads Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:30 am

Maybe a picture of the top of the door may help.
I was wondering if I could use a magnetic strip to hold the top instead of the top flap over the door.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:53 am

If I remember correctly (No guarantee these days!! shrugg ) on the Taylormades there's a Velcro strip in the triangular flap which hooks inside the cab, across the top corner of the doors. Presumably it's there to adjust the tension for a snug fit - can't think of any other reason.

Maybe yours is a bit too snug?? You could try slackening it off a bit to relieve some of the tension on the rubber door seal.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pads Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks Dave. However the velco is only about 1" wide so there is no room for adjustment. Also the doors have Rimor blinds on the inside.
I did also once just unfasten the velcro after the door was closed - still rain comes in.

Peter
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 am

It was a good theory - while it lasted. rolleyes

Can't think what the problem might be. Our van is identical to yours in that respect, and we've never had any rain coming in.

I presume your rubber door strip is seated correctly?? Never take anything for granted these days - they probably have "les singes" building vans in France, same as here!! shrugg

Dave smile!

P.S. Mark at Autosleepers Service Centre is very knowledgeable and always helpful. It seems unlikely to me, but this just could be a known problem???
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pads Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:18 am

One can only assume that it's seated properly as it doesn't leak without the screen covers.
Peter
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:27 am

If I remember when I bought my TM screens there were two version, with and without Remis blinds. Have you got the correct screens?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by pads Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:31 am

Yes thanks -we have the 'Rimor' version.
Peter
pads
pads

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi, as noted by DaisyM and AndyPK we have Silver Screens on our Winnie and have never had a problem even in the Alpes earlier this summer when we had a torrential storm. The screens have a 'pocket' which fits over the door angle top, rear and allows the screen to fit flush to the side windows and screen. Using the screen means no need to faff on with internal blinds for privacy and certainly has heat reflection/retention value.
The Silver Screen and the Duvalay mattress toppers are the best accessories we have purchased and I heartily recommend both!! Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Thermal screen cover leakage over doors Empty Thermal screen covers over doors

Post by Organplayer Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi Pads.
I have "suffered" the symptoms you describe on our two previous m/hms. The problem was cured when after slipping the screens over the cab doors, and just before finally pushing the door shut, I found that pulling the cover down stopped the rather rigid edging  at the top of the screen from getting trapped in the door frame. It seemed that when this rigid section got so trapped in the top of the door, this allowed rain water to flow over the top of the doors.  Best wishes to all.  Eddie
Organplayer
Organplayer
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Northants
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Organplayer wrote: . . . just before finally pushing the door shut, I found that pulling the cover down stopped the rather rigid edging  at the top of the screen from getting trapped in the door frame.
Hmmmmmmmm?? Interesting.

I've always done that, as it sits the cover more snugly and makes it fit better. Could that be why I've never had the problem??

Certainly worth a try Pads.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:59 am

Not sure whether it would make a difference, both the rubber door seals on ours came off setting the door alarm buzzing. Drivers door on the first occasion and (because I didn't think to check) the passenger one on another. I'm sure neither had been correctly fitted, could be worth checking to ensure they are correctly bedded onto the internal guttering. 

We don't use screens because we are all hardy folk up here  hugegrins (and I can't be bother finding another storage solution)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down