The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving licenses in EU

3 posters

Go down

Driving licenses in EU Empty Driving licenses in EU

Post by happyhelen Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Just checking what others do and if anyone has had problems. We both still have the old style green paper driving licenses. CC "strongly recommends" to get the picture ID driving licenses or buy International Drivers permits. Both have cost implications so don't want to do either unless really needed. It is suggested police may not understand what green paper licenses are and there may be a time delay in sorting any issues. Any advice please?

Thanks HH
happyhelen
happyhelen

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

Driving licenses in EU Empty Re: Driving licenses in EU

Post by Guest Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:28 pm

I have never had a problem up to now.  My passport acts as the photo element for hire companies abroad.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 pm

It's £20 plus the cost of the photo, and in my experience pretty quick and easy to get a photocard. So if you're worried, why not just get one? It's no hassle really, and a pretty small price to pay for peace of mind. It would certainly be a waste of money to get an IDP instead.

In general though, you'll probably be fine. Is it the EU version with 'Driving Licence' in loads of languages on the front? If not then I'd definitely change it; if it is then maybe not.

I forgot - if you apply on line they use your passport photo, so no extra cost:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by richardstubbs on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot link.)
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Carver Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 pm

I have used my old style licence in both France, Spain and Greece without any problem.
Carver
Carver

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down