The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essential accessories for the Bourton

+4
micknhilary
BVMC
Claytaa
lucasg
8 posters

Go down

Essential accessories for the Bourton Empty Essential accessories for the Bourton

Post by lucasg Sun May 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Well after 7 months of waiting it's arrived and we are delighted.

I am now thinking of essential accessories we need. 
I have seen the posts re grip mats.. They sound necessary.. I am looking at Milenco...they recommend 2 .. Would 4 be advised? 

I have levelling ramps.. But not the chocks.. Do I need these?

Any other. advice on essentials would be very welcome
Thanks
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Essential accessories for the Bourton Empty Re: Essential accessories for the Bourton

Post by Claytaa Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Took my levelling ramps off my Bourton, too much weight and to be honest never used. When out and about rarely see anyone using them.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Essential accessories for the Bourton Empty Re: Essential accessories for the Bourton

Post by BVMC Tue May 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Claytaa wrote:Took my levelling ramps off my Bourton

Do you mean the rear steadies?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

To answer your original query - in my opinion, levelling ramps are essential, and  the chocks are very useful.  They give you Duttos famous 'Peas of Mine'.

Mick  allthumbz
micknhilary
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 26, 2015 1:34 pm

I actually carry 6 grip mats.

If ground is not rock hard I put one under each wheel as the van will 'settle' over a few days. In similar circumstances I always put one under each levelling ramp used as they also tend to sink in.

The extra 2 are to use when it is slippy so that the driving wheels can be kept on a mat all the way to hard ground.

They don't take up much space and I don't need them that often - but when I do, I do!!!

The last time they had serious use was to help a Frenchman back up a grassy slope adjacent to the Seine in torrential rain.

I also carry and often use chocks, despite transmission 'park' and handbrake I don't fancy rolling into a road or river in the middle of the night.

I don't know about Peugeot but on big Ford and Mercedes coachbuilts, rear steadies are essential if you want to enter/exit the van without spilling any drinks that may be on a table - and if the Mercedes is parked side on in strong wind...! We don't use them on an overnight stop with just the two of us.

There are many other bits and pieces to facilitate servicing the van that I use but need more idea of your areas of interest.

Peter #1

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue May 26, 2015 3:27 pm

I havd the chocks but have never used them.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue May 26, 2015 4:47 pm

I would suggest that you might also consider fitting;- Locking wheel bolts and securing the spare wheel with a lock (merc alloys and tyres are costly if you have to replace them, Front mud flaps, and if you feel very flush - a Sat dish (if you plan to travel in Europe and want to watch TV). 

I have replaced the factory fitted radio system with a combined sat nav (vans and trucks version - low bridges and weight limits), CD player and DAB radio. 

The list of possible "essential accessories" is endless and depends on your preferences (and to some extent what SWMBO will approve!) but most will become obvious to you as you progress with its use.

I fully concur with Peter #1 re the steady use - would not be without them!!

Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Wed May 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi guys, for anti slip mats I use the bottoms of bread delivery baskets - cut off the sides - placed on the floor (usually grass = mud) with the sharp side down. Rarely do they sink and you can always walk back for them if you have to leave without stopping. I got mine from a supermarket storeman - free!
For ramps I use various bits of scaffold plank, heavy but very practical, and free!

No, I don't squeak as I walk along. As an ex-NHS worker I'm careful with my hard earned!
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down