The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning Buzzer when driving

+2
Spospe
grantcoghill
6 posters

Go down

Warning Buzzer when driving Empty Warning Buzzer when driving

Post by grantcoghill Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Tonight when on the last 20 miles home in strong wind and rain, the warning buzzer that normally sounds when the step is retracting started to sound. Not continuously but it kept emitting a pattern of one long sound and 3 short ones. Pulled into a layby and read the handbook - nothing about buzzers.  Phoned Peugeot Assist and after trying obvious things like handbrake, seat belts, doors all closed, step in and out and central locking to no avail, they told me to continue journey home on the basis that no engine or vehicle alarms were showing.  On setting off again the sound disappeared and then came on again after about 3 miles, stayed on sounding the same pattern for around 10 miles then stopped suddenly and remained off for the last 8 miles home.
Van running perfectly and of course fault has now disappeared.  Anyone have any idea what it could have been?  One last bit of info - vehicle fitted with an Autowatch Alarm system which has a sensor on the side locker door and that was the side that was getting buffeted by the wind (or red herring?)
grantcoghill
grantcoghill

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK

Back to top Go down

Warning Buzzer when driving Empty Re: Warning Buzzer when driving

Post by Spospe Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:17 pm

We have had this once when driving along the French Atlantic coast in a strong cross wind. The 'fault' was simply the wind blowing the step slightly open (hence the buzzer) and as the gust faded, the step went back again. This happened repeatedly on that journey, but we have never experienced it since. It was just the cross wind catching the step and causing it to swing enough to trigger the warning buzzer.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Assuming you are in an area where the roads are now being gritted, you might find there's an accumulation of crud around the step switch which may be causing the false signals, worth checking if that needs a clean.

Although the pattern of long and short buzzesyou describe is exactly what our reversing sensor system on the car is doing when we select reverse; according to the handbook this is warning of a sensor or wiring fault - confirmed by the fact that the system is indeed not working.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Warning Buzzer when driving Empty The very same thing!

Post by Sarah's Trio Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Hello Grant, I've joined ASOF tonight in response to reading your "warning buzzer when driving" when searching for answers after our Nuevo ES (also one month old) did the exact same yesterday afternoon in similar windy conditions.  I've phoned the dealer today who's not heard of this before and been on google to try to find answer.  Good to know Spospe may have found the cause.  The pattern of beeps was exactly the same, the road was wet (not gritted) and I've been unable to find any useful info regarding warning beeps in handbook.
Sarah's Trio
Sarah's Trio

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 am

Sarah's Trio

Please take a moment to say hello here..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

when new members put their first post into an existing thread, no-one knows you've joined and we are a friendly bunch who like to say hello.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:15 am

I have had this problem before on a car what caused it for me was high winds the alarm was set up to sensitively and had to go back to the dealers to be reset.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Warning Buzzer when driving Empty Well what a coincidence!

Post by grantcoghill Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Sarah's Trio wrote:Hello Grant, I've joined ASOF tonight in response to reading your "warning buzzer when driving" when searching for answers after our Nuevo ES (also one month old) did the exact same yesterday afternoon in similar windy conditions.  I've phoned the dealer today who's not heard of this before and been on google to try to find answer.  Good to know Spospe may have found the cause.  The pattern of beeps was exactly the same, the road was wet (not gritted) and I've been unable to find any useful info regarding warning beeps in handbook.
Took the van out for a ten mile test run this morning and of course, perfect - no buzzer.
I then gave the van a good wash and the mechanism for the steps was very dirty with grit and muck (it does not seem to get much protection from the mud flap!)
On Monday I will phone my dealer (Motorplus Motorhomes in Derby) as they have a guru who may be able to help.  I will post a reply if they can shed any light on the problem.
Out of curiosity, is your level indication for fresh and grey water as useless as ours?  Waste reads 100% all the time and the fresh can read anything if you have driven in the wet!
grantcoghill
grantcoghill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm

grantcoghill wrote:

Out of curiosity, is your level indication for fresh and grey water as useless as ours?  Waste reads 100% all the time and the fresh can read anything if you have driven in the wet!

worth reading this thread from August

and also this thread from Aug 13

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by grantcoghill Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 am

I posted a question about this on the Thule website and their technical department phoned me this morning.
It is related to the step not being fully home and mud etc blasting the step.  The buzzer sounds a warning for 20 minutes.  They suggested trying to get better protection for the step by fitting a bigger mud flap and keeping the step clean.
This diagnosis fits in with what happened during my journey home.  Regarding mud flaps I have ordered Land Rover Defender ones and will use to extend the current ones fitted by Autosleeper.
Sarah - does the 20 minute alarm cycle fit in with your experience?
grantcoghill
grantcoghill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah's Trio Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for this Grant, it's very helpful indeed.  Back to work has "got in the way" for a few days.  However, I've just introduced us on the forum and the van's booked to return to the dealer tomorrow to have the warning sound investigated.  Meanwhile, the gates at home are being widened to allow us to park it at home to recharge and fill for daily excursions.  Once the alarm started sounding on New Years Day it took us less than 20 minutes to return to our storage site so I'm unable to confirm the 20 minute cycle.  With more strong wind forecast for tomorrow I'll be prepared for the alarm to sound for 20 minutes.  Will post the outcome.
Sarah's Trio
Sarah's Trio

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down