The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

renault trafic mpg

+2
Traficlady
Belinda
6 posters

Go down

renault trafic mpg Empty renault trafic mpg

Post by Belinda Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 am

Hello
We are thinking of getting an autosleeper and seen a few renault traffic autosleepers for sale circa 1990-1995
what is the difference in fuel comsumption between petrol and diesel
Belinda
Belinda

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : none

Back to top Go down

renault trafic mpg Empty Re: renault trafic mpg

Post by Traficlady Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 am

I got about 24 (driving carefully) from my petrol (I think it was 1991/2), my friend gets about 33 from his 1994 diesel. Bear in mind, though, that diesel is more expensive to buy. His is also a lot more sluggish going up hills than mine was.

Nora
Renault Trafic Motorhome Register

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:46 am

asof_welcome2 Cant help with fuel consumption info but we have enough owners of these vans on here that can tell you

Last edited by roli on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

renault trafic mpg Empty Thank you

Post by Belinda Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 am

Thanks for letting me know - fingers crossed we find something - any tips for where to look for one? 
We have a low budget - £3-4000 and not bothered about make or model, just want weekends away with our dogs!  wave
Belinda
Belinda

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:14 am

Hello and welcome to the forum  wave 
Dutto said on another thread that diesel engines on average give around 10% more mpg. I think he's probably right although he may be being a bit conservative <ducks behind firewall  hugegrins > you do hear some fantastic economy claims from diesel drivers.
The Trafic models you are looking at will not have turbo diesel engines and normally aspirated diesels are quite a lot down on power compared to the same size petrol engine, so you'll be putting your foot down harder to try and maintain the same speeds.

People will tell you that a diesel is stronger built and will last longer and so it will, but these are commercial engines and made to take far more punishment than a motorhome driver will give them. The engine on my Trafic was much older that the ones you will be looking at, it was petrol (1647cc) and had 170k on the clock when I sold it - still running as sweet as a nut, first time started and used no oil.
Really what I'm saying is that engine longevity doesn't really come into the equation in our cases, if the van was being used 24/7 then it would be something to consider but....

Some say that there is less to go wrong on a diesel engine, this is debatable though and when a diesel does go wrong, it can be disasterous!

At the end of the day, if you want to trundle along and get good mpg, then go for diesel. If you want something with a bit more go (quieter & smoother to boot) go for petrol. Both types of Renault engine from that period are reliable - provided they have been maintained properly.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

renault trafic mpg Empty Petrol 1.7

Post by DougC Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi my Renault is K reg 1.7 petrol with about 70k on clock .... figures of the top of my head are that she runs about 28mpg on run but about 22mpg on commuter run round Manchester.

Bought petrol for several reasons but mainly because for the difference in cost of upto £1k for diesel equivalent it'd take me years to recoup the difference on fuel saving alone.

The days of serious savings on running derv even on some big 4x4's I've run due to higher derv price are minimal.

She runs all day at 60mph without a problem but will run at 70mph happily enough.

good luck and good shopping. wave
DougC
DougC

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : RECRO 2+2

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 pm

DougC wrote:Bought petrol for several reasons but mainly because for the difference in cost of upto £1k for diesel equivalent it'd take me years to recoup the difference on fuel saving alone.
That brought back a memory from years ago when diesel cars were quite novel. One of the electricians had traded in his petrol Golf for a diesel one. Tony, the department comedian, asked him how much the swap had cost and why he'd done it as no-one could see that the new car was any different from the old one. The answer was that it had cost £1000 plus his old car and he'd changed because the diesel was more economical.

Tony's next question was "how much petrol can you buy for £1000?" (this was when petrol was a lot less than £1 per gallon )

Still rings true  allthumbz 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Remember that diesell is approx.5p per litre more than petrol so the diesel saving is not as much as you would imagine of course your driving style is important as well if you want decent mileage.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

renault trafic mpg Empty LDV pilot 2600cc 2002

Post by Belinda Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi,

looking at this vehicle - anyone know anything about them

Its got 38000 miles and FSH

Do you know what make engine the 2600cc is?, I know the 1.9 is a peugeot

Thanks x
Belinda
Belinda

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 pm

My only experience with LDVs was a works van I drove on occasion and the thing which I most remember about it was that I nearly always tripped up on the inside wheelarch when leaving the driving seat. I did enjoy driving it though - it made me realise how nice my Trafic was to drive  hugegrins 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:56 am

Not sure that's what Belinda wanted to hear, Frank!  smile! 

I had the same thoughts about petrol v. diesel when I bought my van, it could have cost me £1,000 to £1,500 more, not to mention the time it could take to find a diesel worth having in my price range - and I wanted it NOW!!

I found out the hard way about driving economically too and drive the van (a Talbot now) quite differently to the way I drive the car. If I keep around 50/55 mph I get what I consider pretty good mileage, around 27. That's what I averaged over my holiday this year from North Wales to Somerset and Dorset, so a pretty good trial.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down