The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo Gas Locker Door Stay

3 posters

Go down

Nuevo Gas Locker Door Stay Empty Nuevo Gas Locker Door Stay

Post by Tincataylor Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 am

This was going to be an easy fix, or so I thought but it has turned into a bit of a problem.  You will be familiar with the female half of the gas locker door stay, that is fixed to the side of the camper with two screws, that accepts the male half that is fixed to the locker door.  The purpose of the whole thing being to keep the locker door in the open / upright position while the user is accessing the locker.  Over time these screws have become loose and it is not possible to tighten them as the holes in the side of the van no longer have enough "meat".  A larger diameter screw is not really an option as the existing ones are about as big as you can go with such a short screw.  I thought pop rivets would be the answer, but once again the side panel of the van is not strong enough and they popped out with very little effort.  It would be a simple matter to replace the self tapping screws with a machine screw and nut if it were not for the fact that the van side is double skinned.

I am coming to the opinion that I will have to strip away the lining inside and then drill a hole large enough for a nut to pass through and then affect the aforementioned repair.  Naturally I am loathe to do this; do any of you bright people have a better idea?  One last thought, could I blank the existing hole off by bonding a round piece of plastic the size of the existing holes (or possibly bigger) and then drill a smaller hole and then re-fit the bracket with smaller screws? 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may be able to come up with,

Tinca
Tincataylor
Tincataylor

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK 2 Berth

Back to top Go down

Nuevo Gas Locker Door Stay Empty Re: Nuevo Gas Locker Door Stay

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Sounds like you something like this may be what you need:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are various variations out there.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm

A fix I have used in the past, albeit on kitchen cupboard doors in the house, is to inject adhesive into the holes, stuff in as many matches as possible, break them off flush and screw the catch back on. Works pretty well. Good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sigmaman Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:30 pm

My catches are riveted on and I have replaced them with new catches and re-riveted.  Fairly large rivets and had to buy a new riveter.
sigmaman
sigmaman

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by sigmaman Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:35 pm

PS.   Forgot to say hello.  Not a new member really.  Changed my email address and had to re register.  Also forgot my password.  Senior moment.
My Sigma is the third Autosleeper I have had and I love it.
sigmaman
sigmaman

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down