The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs

4 posters

Go down

Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs  Empty Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs

Post by golly Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi
I looked at the ceiling lights in my Surrey with a view to changing to LEDs expecting to find halogen bulbs, however the ceiling lights have mini fluorescent tubes (see photo).  Doe's anyone know what wattage these are or has anyone managed to change these for LEDs.

thanks  John[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
golly
golly

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs  Empty Re: Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs

Post by -mojo- Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

It's ~probably~ a PLL (a.k.a. 2G11) lamp, which come in different sizes. The smallest is 18W and is probably what you have - overall lamp length should be around 220mm if so.

Before you change to something else, it would be worth checking power consumption to see if it is worthwhile - modern fluorescents are so efficient that there may not be a lot to be saved in moving to LEDs. The only other factor is time to warm up - the fact that LEDs are instantly at their full brightness was the reason I changed mine out, as the power saving was negligible - but I suspect a PL or PLL lamp will be pretty quick to get to full brightness.

Next step would then be to confirm for sure whether the fitting runs on 12V or 240V. It's probably the former, but some AS conversions have a mix of 12V and mains lighting.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs  Empty Re: Replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs

Post by golly Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

-mojo- wrote:It's ~probably~ a PLL (a.k.a. 2G11) lamp, which come in different sizes. The smallest is 18W and is probably what you have - overall lamp length should be around 220mm if so.

Before you change to something else, it would be worth checking power consumption to see if it is worthwhile - modern fluorescents are so efficient that there may not be a lot to be saved in moving to LEDs. The only other factor is time to warm up - the fact that LEDs are instantly at their full brightness was the reason I changed mine out, as the power saving was negligible - but I suspect a PL or PLL lamp will be pretty quick to get to full brightness.

Next step would then be to confirm for sure whether the fitting runs on 12V or 240V. It's probably the former, but some AS conversions have a mix of 12V and mains lighting.
Thanks for the reply, there is no problem with warm up, full brightness immediately. The lights work on 12v ie when not on hook up, but I don't know if the tube is 230v and is inverted up from 12v
golly
golly

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 pm

John,
As Mojo says, fluorescents are already pretty efficient.
However, if one of those bulbs blows, then a changeover to LED would be the way to go.
Don't worry about the existing bulb voltage, 'cos if you do change to LED you will strip out or completely bypass all the existing electronics.

Lots of info. on LED conversions here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
These are what I used in my last motorhome, you remove all the electronics in the light fitting and wire these directly to the switch. My fluorescent lights were quite large so I fitted 3 -48led lights in each wired in Parrallel.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down