The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway EB

+6
murph
raymondo
tony50
Joe janssis
nuevoboy
yammy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Broadway EB  Empty Broadway EB

Post by yammy Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:51 am

Has anyone got an EB as although i have been really impressed with the Nuevo EK, I have just seen the Broadway EB and what a fantastic washroom. Anyone got one, what do you think and what are pros and cons of going the extra 22 inches longer but having a fab layout but again suffering a little with bulky items for storage. any comments really welcome. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Broadway EB  Empty Re: Broadway EB

Post by nuevoboy Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Have a look further down this forum section.
Currently on page 3: Nuevo v Broadway.
Some relevant comments in there.
We'll be having another good look at the EB at the NEC show in a couple of weeks.  scratch head
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Thank u nuevoboy, is there any reason why you are looking at the EB as I assume by your username that you have a nuevo, what would make you change up to an EB?
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe janssis Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Our 2012 EB is the first MH we have owned (always had caravans previously).  My wife chose the EB mainly because she didn't like the exit step being next to the kitchen - a friend of ours fell out of one would you believe, very nasty!  The end bathroom is very useful, big enough to dress in, a good size wardrobe and the shower is a decent size.  However, although there are planty of high level cupboards, low level storage isn't great and bulky items are a problem as as they have to go under the front nearside seat which gets overcrowded.  Lack of outside storage doesn't help; ours has only one locker for three gas bottles whereas the 2013 model has I believe an under-slung gas tank which i guess will give you space in the aforementioned. Overall we find the extra length provides for our needs but it is less easy to squeeze into a pub car park - unless you can drape the overhang across a grass verge for example.
Joe janssis
Joe janssis

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : BroadwayEB

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am

yes i fully understand the storage problem with the EB but as you say the 2013 models have underslung gas tank which does free up space and its much cheeper to fill as opposed to cylinders and it holds 20 litres. you do have access from the outside under the nearside settee and also a wet locker underneath that on the outside. i love the bathroom in the EB and it appears to be so much more roomy and worktop space is impressive and all this for an extra 22 inches !! i would always park as far away from the crowd in places like tesco's etc so that its easier to "escape". i will be at the NEC in a few weeks and am excited about whats new!!
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Yammy,

we just think the EB is such a lovely layout and gives the 'van a really spacious feel.
However, (as I think I mentioned in t'other post) we don't like the lack of overcab cupboard, where we store our bedding.
Now, Autosleeper have confirmed that it is an option to revert back to the cupboards and hopefully they'll have a 'van to view in that mode at the NEC.

Our other gripes were that the bed is a few inches narrow than our Nuevo and also the (in our opinion) stupid water-fill system (which again may have an option to revert back to standard fill).

Oh yes, as we're relative short-ar*es, we found the seat bases too deep and couldn't get comfy.

To be honest, I can't stand the graphics either and we don't want the external BBQ fittings etc.

Oh well.....scratch head
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:18 pm

nuevoboy wrote:Hi Yammy,

we just think the EB is such a lovely layout and gives the 'van a really spacious feel.
However, (as I think I mentioned in t'other post) we don't like the lack of overcab cupboard, where we store our bedding.
Now, Autosleeper have confirmed that it is an option to revert back to the cupboards and hopefully they'll have a 'van to view in that mode at the NEC.

Our other gripes were that the bed is a few inches narrow than our Nuevo and also the (in our opinion) stupid water-fill system (which again may have an option to revert back to standard fill).

Oh yes, as we're relative short-ar*es, we found the seat bases too deep and couldn't get comfy.

To be honest, I can't stand the graphics either and we don't want the external BBQ fittings etc.

Oh well.....scratch head
yes i noticed that on the EB,  front double is 1 inch narrower but the singles are 1 inch longer on the nearside and 2 inches longer on offside. its a difficult one as i have contemplated swapping the front cab skylight with storage for bedding but the skylight does make a small van much more roomy and i think the nuevo or broaday with the luton top would be a bit OTT !! especially for 2 people and a small dog smile! what do you think ? scratch head
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Had another good look at the NEC but still unconvinced.
A/S are now offering an official option of replacing the panoramic sunroof with cupboards.
One of their models had them fitted, but on inspection, the main central cupboard is much smaller than the old one (due to the roof profile) and our bedding certainly wouldn't fit in.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

nuevoboy wrote:Had another good look at the NEC but still unconvinced.
A/S are now offering an official option of replacing the panoramic sunroof with cupboards.
One of their models had them fitted, but on inspection, the main central cupboard is much smaller than the old one (due to the roof profile) and our bedding certainly wouldn't fit in.
Hi Nuevoboy

am going up to the NEC tomorrow, staying for the night in the car park on ehu and then looking round the show on sunday, will have a serious look at the eb v nuevo, very excited and maybe see what's on offer elsewhere with sub 6 metre rivals like the new Bailey 542 & 540 but dont think they will have a patch on the Autosleepers, just wish i had 50,000 sitting in the bank eh !!!  cheers Rob.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Rob,
we had a good look at the 540 and 542 and decided as our we're not contortionists, we'd give them a miss.  Did like the 625 though.

I imagine we should be impartial on this forum (a bit like the BBC are supposed to be) but take a look at a certain A/T (I won't spell it out in case it gets censored) RS model.

Hope you enjoy the show.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Broadway EB  Empty Storage !

Post by tony50 Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:45 pm

It seems that on this forum that the Auto sleeper range is well built but, there seems to be a general feeling there is a lack of storage space as I as yet need to be convinced that they have enough storage for me .

Tony A
tony50
tony50

Male

Member Age : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm

there seems to be a general feeling there is a lack of storage space as I as yet need to be convinced that they have enough storage for me .

We (two of us and a dog) have a Nuevo which is just a little short of storage for our annual 2 month jaunt - its fine when we leave the house but as the journey progresses and "she who must be obeyed" buys more and more stuff by the end it is becoming a little cramped.

We bought a box for the cycle rack although now I fear that the stuff will expand to fill the available space.
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 am

nuevoboy wrote:Hi Rob,
we had a good look at the 540 and 542 and decided as our we're not contortionists, we'd give them a miss.  Did like the 625 though.

I imagine we should be impartial on this forum (a bit like the BBC are supposed to be) but take a look at a certain A/T (I won't spell it out in case it gets censored) RS model.

Hope you enjoy the show.
HI nuevoboy,
i did enjoy the show very much but was a little disappointed with Autosleeper's updates. Apart from the stretched Warwick and Kingham the only thing i could see that was new was the introduction of cab blinds into the complete range which is a great idea but i wasnt that keen on the new furnishing colour schemes and i prefer the old slate grey worktops and not the new cream coloured work surfaces. 
but i still love the EB, maybe they could try and free up some more room under the offside bed but hey, still my favorite van.
cheers
rob.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tony50 Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I think they have the basics and quality right but need to put an opening hatch on the offside more storage draws externally sides and back on all Models if they have not got them we spent about 3 or 4 hours over 3 days looking and accessing them  , if you are aiming for  Specification and cost you surely have got to provide for long holidays not just weekending ,we thought the Bourton would suit us , but storage was the problem .

Tony A.
tony50
tony50

Male

Member Age : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by murph Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Our Lancashire ES (marquis special Neuvo) has a luton which provides us with plenty of space to store bedding, we coudn't live without it. we lose somthing on fuel consumption but wouldn't want to lose that extra space.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Have you thought about a fixed bed model? We have a Broadway FB for the two of us and 2 dogs. It is a little longer than the EB, but you don't need to worry about bedding storage and there is a huge area under the bed for storage of other items.
Of course, you miss out on the large end bathroom and dressing room, but the FB has plenty of open space to lounge around in and the extra length is easy to forget.
Allan

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 pm

I like the idea of the luton top for bedding but i dont like the half dinette as i like the twin sofas for lounging with feet up and i also like the idea of a fixed bed but i have concerns of the length and overhang but like the eb dressing room..... i cant seem to come to a decision as there are so many options but cant find the perfect compromise. I have a dog but my partner likes space but what ever i eventually decide on i will have to put it into storage as the drive will just about fit a Neuvo on but i dont want to buy just because i can park it easier as i would like to tour europe eventually and dont want to regret buying too small !!! what a nightmare, knew it was going to be fun searching but very difficult to decide. luckily i do have time, maybe AS may come out witha drop down bed in an EB format, that would just about solve it eh !!!
Rob.
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

It can be a nightmare! Our criteria was a spacious lounge so the dogs can lie down and we can walkround them, and a fixed bed. We got fed up making beds up every night with 2 dogs in the way!
We looked at hundreds of motorhomes with what seemed like just as many layouts. Once we saw the FB, we were spoilt. The interior looks and feels very well made ( we looked at Swift and Autotrail and the finish to the cabinets looked a bit cheap) The length is fine at just over 7 metres and fits on the drive easily. It's easy to manoeuvre, we have been in some tight spots abroad and always managed to get through, though I admit a lot of people want a more compact van.
We have had 6 of us sitting round the table having dinner with two dogs on the floor ( Labrador and a beagle) and there was plenty of room.
My one criticism is that I wish the bathroom door was a couple more inches away from the toilet. It can get a bit cramped in some situations!
Anyway, good luck with your search
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe janssis Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Having had caravans for over 40 years, and recently changes to a Broadway EB, we realise that the accommodation, unless you have oodles on cash to spare and an extremely long front drive for a 9mt monster, is all about compromise.  We all have our priorities be it not having to make up the bed every night, having more storage for bedding, wet lockers for messy boots etc. and perhaps thats the best palce to start - what are your priorities?

The EB is a very good quality vehicle and the layout has a great deal to commend it; but it is a bit short on internal and external storage, and we find having to swivel the seat around in order to sleep is less than ideal.  You could think about having a pull out draw fitted, will cost circa £500, not much less than a Fiamma box, (although if you have to buy a bike rack to mount it on your talking circa £800).  Getting a longer vehicle will obviously give you more space but not necessarily more of the type of storage you are looking for; it does depend on the model.  In our opinion, as ex caravaners, Swift and Bailey, although offering excellent value for money,  seem to us to be more like caravans in terms of the lightness of materials, whereas AS and Autotrail, to mention only two, seem more sturdily built.  Its not any easy choice – Good luck
Joe janssis
Joe janssis

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : BroadwayEB

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Joe,
I agree fully with your comments about compromise.
Every single 'van we've ever seen would involve compromise in one way or another; has anyone ever found the perfect 'van?

Interesting to read your assessment of Bailey and Swift 'vans being more "caravanny", especially coming from an ex-tugger.
When we were viewing at the NEC last week, I couldn't get over how many 'vans were built with lightweight products. Nearly all the cupboard fronts were made of plastic with wood grain and the number of hollow tables was alarming. 

I must prefer the solidity of the A/S and A/T 'vans, but just need to get one that ticks most of the boxes.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:22 am

Ours would be perfect if the bathroom was a couple of inches bigger and the under slung tanks and pipe work were fully insulated
I notice that the new 2014 vans have a winter pack option, shame this wasn't on this years models, but I have priced up aftermarket parts and it can all be done for around £200.
Just have to lose weight in the bathroom!
Since buying our van, just for the two of us, my daughter has started to show an interest in coming with us, but of course we don't have any rear travel seats for her to sit on( she's almost 22.
AS now have a dinette option for their new vans, wonder if they can do a retro fit?
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

ajrm wrote:Ours would be perfect if the bathroom was a couple of inches bigger and the under slung tanks and pipe work were fully insulated
I notice that the new 2014 vans have a winter pack option, shame this wasn't on this years models, but I have priced up aftermarket parts and it can all be done for around £200.
Just have to lose weight in the bathroom!
Since buying our van, just for the two of us, my daughter has started to show an interest in coming with us, but of course we don't have any rear travel seats for her to sit on( she's almost 22.
AS now have a dinette option for their new vans, wonder if they can do a retro fit?
Allan
Very interesting comments, i think that the law states that even if you dont have seated belts in a motorhome, ADULTS are still allowed to sit on seats/side sofas without belts but NOT ok for children. How long this will stay law i have no idea but i may be wrong. Good idea adding winterpack though and doesnt seam that expensive. i like the idea of introducing cab blinds as well on all 2014 AS but i hope they dont do away with curtains as that gives it a cosy feel, so just have both, also i prefer the grey slate worktops as i think the new cream colour does not look as quality as the grey IMO.  smile!
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm not that keen on the cream work tops either. I have a couple of friends with Swifts and theirs have the blinds around the screen and side windows. They both say they are very flimsy and doubt there is any real benefit using them. They both have external screen covers for the winter, which is ok as long as you have somewhere to store them when they are wet
I have a set of thermal internal blinds. Easy to store but you get condensation on the windows. I guess this will be the same with the fitted blinds and you risk them being damp when you fold them back.
Not too bothered about someone travelling in the back without belts. I have had older vans where no rear belts were fitted and have driven thousands of miles safely
Not sure the law is the same in Europe as here, I think if the van is newer than 2006/7 then you can't travel in the back without proper belts.
I could be wrong, but we spend most of our travelling time in France
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Allan, is the rearview camera, which i gather is a permenant live feed, able to see your bumper when reversing so you can see how close you get before you hit something or does it act like a rear view mirror and looks straight backwards rather than downwards?
cheers Rob
yammy
yammy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:57 pm

After 2007 it is illegal to travel in the back without seat belts, I checked this ,as in my 2002  Topaz, I had 3 belted seats but my insurance documents said 5 seats, I could take passengers on the side settee, in fact the lady that I bought it from, regularly traved with the 5 of them.

In the van I have just bought I have 2 belted seats and my insurance document says 2 seats, as I have 2 settees I will ring ins, to see how I stand should be ok as it is pre 2007

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next