The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small gas BBQ

+4
inspiredron
rogerblack
burlingtonboaby
Terran
8 posters

Go down

Small gas BBQ Empty Small gas BBQ

Post by Terran Wed May 01, 2013 9:44 am

Hi All,

Just completed our three day 'shake down' cruise in our new AS Broadway FB in Christchurch and spotted a strange bright round yellow thing in the sky. SWMBO suggested if I wanted a nice cooked breakfast I should get a gas BBQ and cook it outside - apparently I'm not allowed anywhere near her nice new cooker. Nor am I allowed to create cooking smells within our lovely (new smelling) MH.

The Broadway is fitted with a very convenient outside gas connector, and the MH is blessed with an on-board LPG tank, so a small gas BBQ would seem ideal. Could any of you experienced, well travelled, experts in all things outdoors recommend a suitable appliance?

BTW if you're ever in Christchurch we can thoroughly recommend the Meadowbank Holiday centre, the site is spotless, not a blade of grass unmowed. The pitches are spacious and the shower block uses a simple push button for the shower which stays on for 4 minutes or until you press the button to turn it off, brilliant. javascript:emoticonp('up!')

Link to Meadow Bank web site

Thanks for any help you give.
Terran

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Small gas BBQ Empty Re-Small gas BBQ

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed May 01, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Terran
Plenty of good Gas BBQ products can be found at caravan and motorhome accessory stores, My current small gas BBQ is the Cadac safari chef, runs from a small camping gaz bottle.
I can recommend this one, however there are plenty more to choose from.

Boaby BBQ
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Small gas BBQ Empty Re: Small gas BBQ

Post by Terran Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Terran
Plenty of good Gas BBQ products can be found at caravan and motorhome accessory stores, My current small gas BBQ is the Cadac safari chef, runs from a small camping gaz bottle.

Boaby BBQ

Thanks Boaby,

You're right, of course accessory shops are a good source of BBQ products, but I'm hoping to find one I can use with my MH outside gas connector. I guess any gas BBQ can be used simply by replacing the gas bottle with the LPG connector javascript:emoticonp('shrugg')

Enjoy your summer.

Terran
Terran

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed May 01, 2013 5:32 pm

We are on our second, I don't know what make it is but I can give some suggestions based on our experience, including why we now only use the first one at home.

You may want to make sure whichever model you choose has some sort of stainless steel heat radiating plate (sometimes called a wav-grill) rather than using lava rocks or imitation reusable charcoal briquettes - the latter type are a pain to put together as the rocks have to be laid out each time.

The first one we had has four separate long clip-in legs - the advantage was that you could use it free-standing, however one person assembling it one leg at a time is virtually impossible. Our current one is a table-top with two pairs of short sturdy fold out legs - since I always set up our metal roll-top table under the awning anyway, it stands on that. Beware models with just wire frame type legs as those are unstable and also can conduct heat to the table.

Also, don't be tempted to buy one that's any bigger than you really need. Our first one was and although designed to be portable was a real fag to assemble and disassemble; our current one is a nice, neat suitcase type design with a retaining clip on the hinged lid and a handle. It takes less than a minute to set up or put away (once cooled!).

Also make sure you have some sort of greaseproof bag or container to pack it in, particularly if you're going to keep it inside the van, rather than in an external locker or top/back box.

We also have an electric frying/stewpan and a portable single induction ring which go on an extension lead and so allow us to do as much of the cooking outside the van as possible, mainly to minimise cooking smells and condensation. Cooking alfresco with an accompanying glass of Ricard or local wine is one of the joys of motorhoming for me. all good
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 pm

We have a CADAC Safari. It is not small but it is worth its weight in gold! We don't have a gas tank or external gas connector but it's worth lugging the spare cylinder from our gas locker! We don't take the dome cover away though. The two really good bits are the Skottel and the griddle plate. We also use it in the garden on the odd days when that yellow thing in the sky appears.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri May 03, 2013 1:56 pm

I've got a cadac safari chef which is run fom the BBQ point. Two types available - high pressure off its own cylinder or the low pressure one which will run off the BBQ point. Very highly recommended BBQ

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:51 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Terran

Boaby  BBQ

Just a note on this one,it has spring loaded legs and I was going to take our one back as the legs would not stay out and could topple over. On investigation I found that the springs in two of the legs were the wrong way round, I removed the pins and turned the springs around. Perfect now, just bad quality control. After all you don't want your dinner in your lap.censored!

Best Regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I use the Cadac Safari Chef Deluxe Low Pressure Gas Barbeque.

It works a treat on my external gas point but sometimes need to stand it on a table.

It packs away nicely in its own bag.

One tip - use a wooden spatula, a metal one can damage the coating on the griddle plate.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Our set up uses the Camping Gas 907 cylinders, as 2 will fit along side our 6kg Lite bottle in the gas cupboard.

We have a camping gas party grill that screws directly onto the 907 gas tank and can cope with BBQ for 2 easily.up! 
This arrangement is easy to stow away & quick to wash up after use.
We also have a Cobb BBQ ( as per the Hairy Bikers), but that's another story and great for cooking as well as BBQ allthumbz

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive

Back to top Go down