The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lichfield and the Loire

+8
Admin
Backtrax
Nuevo
deckie
Paulmold
roli
whisky
Peter Brown
12 posters

Go down

Lichfield and the Loire Empty Lichfield and the Loire

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

I’ve seen several post on the Forum from members who declare that rallying is not for them, most have not tried it.

The Autosleeper Owners Club rallies are run by volunteer members who pick a location that they know and would like to share with other members. The logic is generally to find a place for cheap camping at or near an interesting place. If any activities are arranged by the marshals they are optional and generally to do with meals, walks or similar.

ASOC rallies are an excellent place to see and find out about other AS vans and user experiences.

If any ASOC member would like to try a rally ‘in safety’, Chris and I are again running the rally in Beacon Park Lichfield. Full details of the rally and how to apply are in the May issue of the ASOC Newsletter but the park is very big and bordered in one corner by a Morrisons supermarket and on another by the town centre. In the middle of that edge is the Cathedral and the home/museum of Eramus Darwin. The showers are only a couple of years old and are excellent and there is a new café/bistro in the park.

If you are not in ASOC why not join. At £6.50 per night camping over 4 nights you will save the £20 membership fee by avoiding using a campsite in the area.

There are also still a couple of places left on the rally in the Loire at the end of August that we are assisting with.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Lichfield and the Loire Empty Re: Lichfield and the Loire

Post by whisky Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Peter.

I would tend to disagree with you. I think you will find most of us who do not like rallys. Have tried it and that is why we don't like it.
They all seem to be about one upmanship and very boy scoutish. I was once a member of the ASOC Which is predominately about rallys that is why when ASOF came into being it was a breath of fresh air. Is it still true that ASOC don't like the members of ASOF? or have they given up on that?

Whisky.

Last edited by whisky on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 pm

If you will post a list of the rallies you attended I will investigate and report on your comments.

I am a member of ASOC. I've only met 4 members of ASOF and they are all also members of ASOC. Who have you met who represents ASOC and communicated dislike?

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi Peter.

My feelings about the rallies start from a long time ago. I went to a couple in Lincolnshire one at Peterborough and one in Tewksbury before deciding this is not for me. Too long ago for me to recollect the exact details. As for the ASOC members opinion of ASOF this stems from recent times when approaching people with Autosleeper vehicles and giving them an ASOF calling card only to be met with "Ohh we are members of ASOC we have nothing to do with your outfit." After getting a responce like that the last thing you do is ask their names.

So Sorry. I'm afraid we will just have to agree to differ over these subjects. If its for you and you enjoy it. Good for you. My mind is made up . " Its not for me."

Whisky.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 pm

If you want to see how popular rallies are look at bulldog01s post in the journal section

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t6971-motor-caravanners-club-oswestry

and see the photo taken from one end of the room. There were 170 vans on this last w/ends rally.
That I know of, there were 4 ASOC members there (poss 2 others) 3 ASOF members there and 6 ex (due to change of van) ASOC members.
There will be around 120ish vans this weekend at the ASOC National, two coming more or less straight from Oswestry with another 2 having a couple of nights at home
to do the jankers.

With the increasing cost of diesel follow ons are easily organised eg: when we come back from the Emerald Isle we will return into Scotland and do 2 ASOC rallies then onto a CL for a weekend working our way home with breaks. We rally with ASOC, MCC, and the C&CC with the odd Fun Rally when time permits.

I do have to agree with some of the comments though - there can be and is clicks at these events, just ignore em

btw Peter
You have met many more ASOF members than that - admit you many not be aware
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

whisky wrote:
As for the ASOC members opinion of ASOF this stems from recent times when approaching people with Autosleeper vehicles and giving them an ASOF calling card only to be met with "Ohh we are members of ASOC we have nothing to do with your outfit." After getting a responce like that the last thing you do is ask their names.
Whisky.

I have to concur with this response from ASOC members that I have met. One was at Salisbury C&CC site, driving a monocoque (unfortunately I can't remember what model) where I also tried to get into conversation with the owner and when I mentioned ASOF I too got the reply 'Oh, we don't have anything to do with them'

If I go back about 18 years when we were members of the CC (for the first time) we attended many rallies in our caravan but found some to be very cliquey, and very much 'keeping up with the Joneses', while others were very enjoyable, a lot being down to the marshalls and the way the rally was run. I don't think motorhomes were allowed in the CC back then or maybe there just weren't many around then.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Roli.

Had a look at Bulldog01's post as you suggested.

Thats my worst nightmare. shrugg

Horses for courses and all that. Whisky. champagne

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 pm

whisky wrote:

Thats my worst nightmare. shrugg

Totally agree with you there Mate up!

I think Peter advertising ASAC rallies on OUR forum is totally out of order so angry

I wonder how many of our members realise his status on the ASOC (or is there another Peter Brown) ??

It seems to me, that we have been INVADED,

A very unhappy, with the situation Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm

I also have received negative responses when mentioning this forum to owners who are members of the AS owners club. I don't understand this divide as we all share the same intrest don't we?

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 am

OK thats enough now please.

When this forum was started there was lack of interest and imo a lack of understanding about forums and web based clubs from the ASOC Committee despite many members of this forum being ASOC members they didnt want any connection with us despite us offering the hand of friendship.

ASOF Admin really wants both organisations to be friends and co-exist. We have tried (hence the section for ASOC) in the last 2 years to create a relationship with
little success until recently.

If any committee member of ASOC chooses to join this forum then thats his or her option and they will be made welcome on ASOF as anybody else does.

I for one am a ASOC member and have been for around 13 years and have tried to stop this us and them attitude and create an interest from both sides.
Both organisations have a similar interest and should not be in conflict, there is NO competition.
I have promoted ASOC on here more than Peters recent post regarding rallies.

I will happily speak with the ASOC Committee/Members in public given the opportunity to establish what the problem really is.

Many of us on here came from and still belong to the 2 large web based clubs and others so we understood the advantages, maybe others cant see that, try and understand.

roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

Girls Girls - put your handbags away.
I am with Roli.
Life is too short for this nonsence.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 am

I feel I have to comment on this and just reconfirm what roli has said - Our objective from the start has been to work alongside both ASOC and Auto-Sleepers as a newcomer to the marque, having Peter on board goes someway to bridging this gap and he has been very supportive of the forum and offered much technical help to a number of members since joining our community. We will always be independent of ASOC or any other organisation and of course the forum belongs to 'You' the member, while it's upsetting for some members (myself included) that ASOC hasn't embraced our objective or hand of friendship we still hope that one day we can receive some recognition from them. We are a friendly community and welcome others, please lets not loose sight of the best interests of the forum and it's members.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, Peter does not deserve some of the above responses, especially when he is simply posting information on a rally which may or may not be of interest to some of our members.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm looking forward to attending one of the ASOC rallies, the Hunstanton or Huntingdon ones might be a good introduction for us to try out... probably do our own thing as we are not that great in social gatherings as I tend to come across as a bit of a grumpy git (Ive just had a sheltered upbringing) hugegrins

Also nice while on the subject, that our old mucker Terry Hammond (NewTerry) has got us a mention in the ASOC newsletter yet again and for those who haven't read it goes something like:

"The mechanical experts from the Auto Sleepers owners forum have been a great help in supplying a list of possible causes of the problem which the garage has welcomed with open arms"

Thanks Terry for remembering us, think this is about the 3rd or 4th mention in the ASOC newsletter and at least once in MMM up!

I keep waiting for that Martin Watts from the classic section of MMM to give ASOF a mention, he's always banging on about Auto Sleepers and other forums but to my knowledge has not plugged us once, if you are reading Martin just do it! (you know you want to) hugegrins

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotswold01 Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 am

Are there any spaces left for the Loire rally
Cotswold01
Cotswold01

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Peter is tied this weekend but yes there is space on the Rally. If you are in ASOC you can book via club chairman, Andy think info in last newsletter, any issues pm me
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Lichfield and the Loire Empty ASOC Members : Lichfield Rally

Post by Peter Brown Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Calling all ASOC members!!!!!

We are well down on numbers for Lichfield this year so this may be the last time we run it.

You should have your Newsletter today or tomorrow containing the details of the rally that runs from 18th to 22nd July so still plenty of time to apply. If you are travelling and want application details, send me an e-mail with your membership number and I'll send then to you.

For none ASOC members, this forum is labelled as the place to advise of up and coming rallies so please don't get upset.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 pm

We would like to do some more rallies but unfortunately simply don't have the time at the moment. it remains an ambition..... did one fairly local meet up with Fun last year and had a good time apart from the appalling weather, so would like to at least try an A/S one out. Nothing possible this year, though. Can't even get the van off the driveway for a weekend at the moment thanks to work travel and other commitments

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLeader Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm

I went to the Lichfield rally which was quite well attended, lovely weather -and it's where I heard of this forum which was a result for me. Interesting to see the different perspectives, there's room for us all and for me, variety is the spice of life so I'm happy with ASOC, MCC and learning from the various forums which I am still catching up with. There are, I know still places on the Loire rally.
BlueLeader
BlueLeader

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down